Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > KURT COBAIN SUICIDE NOTE

forum rss feed
Author

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this qualifies as serious discussion. Anyways I had no clue that he mentioned Freddie in his suicide note, he also gave a reference to the line from the highlander movie before the guitar solo in Gimme the Prize. I know I'm probably late on this, but I just found out. Here's the transcript of the note

To Boddah

Speaking from the tongue of an experienced simpleton who obviously would rather be an emasculated, infantile complain-ee. This note should be pretty easy to understand. All the warnings from the punk rock 101 courses over the years, since my first introduction to the, shall we say, the ethics involved with independence and the embracement of your community has proven to be very true. I haven't felt the excitement of listening to as well as creating music along with reading and writing for too many years now. I feel guilty beyond words about these things. For example when we're backstage and the lights go out and the manic roar of the crowd begins, it doesn't affect me the way in which it did for Freddie Mercury, who seem to love, relish in the love and adoration from the crowd, which is somehting I totally admire and envy. The fact is, I can't fool you, any one of you. It simply isn't fair to you or me. The worst crime I can think of would be to rip people off by faking it and pretending as if I'm having 100% fun. Sometimes I feel as if I should have a punch-in time clock before I walk out on stage. I've

tried everything within my power to appreciate it (and I do, God believe me I do, but it's not enough). I appreciate the fact that I and we have affected and entertained a lot of people. I must be one of those narcissists who only appreciate things when they're gone. I'm too sensitive. I need to be slightly numb in order to regain the enthusiasm I once had as a child. On our last 3 tours, I've had a much better appreciation for all the people I've known personally and as fans of our music, but I still can't get over the frustration, the guilt and empathy I have for everyone. There's good in all of us and I think I simply love people too much, so much that it makes me feel too fucking sad. The sad little sensitive, unappreciative, Pisces, Jesus man. Why don't you just enjoy it? I don't know! I have a goddess of a wife who sweats ambition and empathy and a daughter who reminds me too much of what I used to be, full of love and joy, kissing every person she meets because everyone is good and will do her no harm. And that terrifies me to the point where I can barely function. I can't stand the thought of Frances becoming the miseraable, self-destructive, death rocker that I've become. I have it good, very good, and I'm grateful, but since the age of seven, I've become hateful towards all humans in general. Only because it seems so easy for people to get along and have empathy. Only because I love and feel sorry for people too much I guess. Thank you all from the pit of my burning, nauseous stomach for your letters and concern during the past years. I'm too much of an erratic, moody, baby! I don't have the passion anymore, and so remember, it's better to burn out then to fade away. Peace, Love, Empathy. Kurt Cobain.

Frances and Courtney, I'll be at your altar

Please keep going Courtney,

for Frances.

for her life will be so much happier

without me. I LOVE YOU. I LOVE YOU

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kurt Cobain... always shooting his bloody mouth off...

lol :)

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have the scanned image of this note and I always couldn't understand: what a hell he called Freddie as Freddie?!

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 11:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That shooting his mouth off line was a very nasty joke man [actually he shot his entire face off but you get the point]. A lot of people spell Freddie's name wrong I've noticed, that kinda annoys me for some reason i can't quite put my finger on, I mean how difficult is Freddie to remember, I don't know I'm insane I guess.

gazfred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the "better to burn out than fade away" line is more likely a reference from the neil young song hey hey my my in my view. i could be wrong tho

englishyob user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

I have the scanned image of this note and I always couldn't understand: what a hell he called Freddie as Freddie?!

well if you are about to blow your head off i think the correct spelling of a name is the last think on your mind, but to mention Freddie in the suicude note and not john lennon (who kurt was a massive fan of) is quite something

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

englishyob wrote:

Serry... wrote:

well if you are about to blow your head off i think the correct spelling of a name is the last think on your mind, but to mention Freddie in the suicude note and not john lennon (who kurt was a massive fan of) is quite something

There's no connection between what he was going to do and how he wrote Freddie's name, he wrote it as he knew it - that's I was talking about.

boy of destiny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The guy was writing a suicide not and you're worried about his spelling? Who gives a shit if he spelled Freddie with a 'y'? I love Queen too, but the world doesn't revolve around them. Man, there's a lot of morons on this site.

....oh and the "Highlander" line is from a Neil Young song.

englishyob user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah Serry i knew what you where saying i was just point it out

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boy of destiny wrote:

The guy was writing a suicide not and you're worried about his spelling? Who gives a shit if he spelled Freddie with a 'y'? I love Queen too, but the world doesn't revolve around them. Man, there's a lot of morons on this site.

....oh and the "Highlander" line is from a Neil Young song.

If you want to call me a moron, then just say 'Serry, you're a moron' - that's it. Be a man. There is no need to call everyone around here as morons because of me.

You didn't get my point. One rock-star doesn't know how spells the name of other rock-star. Joseph Linnan instead of John Lennon, Freddie instead of Freddie. No matter when he wrote it, he just didn't know how does it spells. That's strange, IMO.

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually Serry, the "morons" comment wasn't really directed at you. It was meant for the fans who take everything Queen related so seriously. Do you think we'd be having the same conversation if Freddie had spelled Kurt with a 'c'? Queen is one of my favourite bands, but I'm not naive to think that all music begins and ends with them.

... and hey don't forget I praised you for your use of English the other day, so I wouldn't turn around and act you the next.

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I remember. I just thought that you didn't get the point of what I've said. Sorry!

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry too. Come on Serry, give me a hug. :)

dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The ''it's better to burn out than to fade away'' line IS a reference to the Neil Young song. It was used in Highlander as an in-joke for some high-up crew member (could have been the producer or director, I forget who) who was a big Neil Young fan. In the context of the circumstances, the Neil Young song makes much more sense to be quoted in the suicide note (if indeed that's what it was) - ''rock and roll can never die'' ''gone but not forgotten'', etc.
And there you have it. This is all according to my former boss, anyway.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and does in all this analargy kurt kobain really matter?
hes gone lets get on with it.............

martinjkstones
DarkQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 630 posts

Posted: 09 Jul 05, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yup, the man wrote this just before painting the wall red and Queenfans give a shit about Freddie Mercury references. Sick...

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Because it can be spelt either way. The same way Roger can be written as Rodger.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
*3*Playful as a pussycat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 590 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boy of destiny wrote:

I'm sorry too. Come on Serry, give me a hug. :)

FINALLY, IVE WAITED FOR A WHILE TO SEE SOME ARGUMENT ON THIS BOARD END PEACEFULLY!!!!! I knew you could do it, guys! *sniffs* im so proud of you! *hugs both*

;)

Freddie Mercury is my sexi moon lobster

"Mis francais est la meme que before. C'est un peu crap"-Brian May

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear!" -Freddie Mercury

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't we all just get a bong?

kyassor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 05, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lord Blackadder wrote:

Serry... wrote:

Because it can be spelt either way. The same way Roger can be written as Rodger.

It can be spelt either way - correctly or incorrectly