Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Robert Plant beats Freddie to no1 best singer

forum rss feed
Author

Queen& user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 562 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robert Plant beats Freddie to no1 best singer
According to bbc teletext alls i say to that is bollocks you just listen to Plant at freddies tribute he was shite

Paddy Can You Hear Me Now

Phoenix Nights Series 1
englishyob user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The FM Tribute wasn’t Plants best performance but he's still one hell of a singer, but wouldn’t say he was better the Freddie

Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course he wasn't!
It's just that more people like Zepp than Queen, Stairway to Heaven than BoRhap.

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
Sharon G. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 462 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robert Plant is very very good.
Saw them a few times.
BUT,
Freddie was Great.

Ride 'em cowboy!

Vallentine's user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robert Plant is good but better than Freddie...NO!The only one who can compare with Freddie is Bono but he isn't as glorious as our favourite vocals!

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BG.Innuendo wrote:

Robert Plant is good but better than Freddie...NO!The only one who can compare with Freddie is Bono but he isn't as glorious as our favourite vocals!

No way Bono is better that Robert Plant, and you can`t compare him to Freddie. I`m not saying he`s worst, he`s just different.

Take care

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think both are great singers but Freddie would probably have been honored to be second to Robert Plant - wasn't he always a big Zeppelin fan?

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

kerfuffle87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 419 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm shocked, Plant said at the Tribute concert that people were having to change key to sing the songs Freddie did - that just shows Freddie's true diversity and ability to sing most of the notes out there! which further proves that no one can and will be able to sing as well as he did, that includes Robert Plant.Stupid polls, who'd have 'em?!

"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open" - Sir James Dewar
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MEATY wrote:

Robert Plant beats Freddie to no1 best singer
According to bbc teletext alls i say to that is bollocks you just listen to Plant at freddies tribute he was shite

Only Innuendo was "shite". Crazy Little Thing was great. And if you think Plant is shit then you have no taste.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Sir Archie 'Tiffany' Leach user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1331 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bono??

Cwazy Little Thing Called Love was great??

You guys have been in the sun too long. You gone loco!

Nancy Astor : "If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee".

Winston Churchill : "And if I were your husband I would drink it".
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Few males like Plant can sing like a female
ever wonder how many horny teenages shot one off thinking plant was some hot chick? lol

MY GOD spell it write.
rockyracoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 21:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a bit like comparing Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. Two individuals head and shoulders above the others.

I was fortunate to see both Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury perform live, and both were excellent. I saw Led Zeppelin perform for the first time in the U.S. in late January 1969 at the Fillmore East in New York City. They were the warm-up group for Iron Butterfly and managed to steal the show. At the time, Led Zeppelin was a group nobody had heard of. But Robert Plant put on an incredibly powerful vocal performance, and Jimmy Page put on a dazzling display of guitar skills. That concert put Led Zeppelin on the map in the U.S. As an aside, Iron Butterfly were also very good that night and did a masterful job with My Mirage and Inagoddadavida, or whatever it is.

I saw Queen perform live in Chicago in September 1980, and twice in August 1982. All three performances were spectacular. Freddie was superb, Brian was brilliant, John laid down incredibly solid bass lines, and Roger was energetic on the drums to the point of exhaustion. Unbelievable.

But comparing Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury is futile. Both were incredibly powerful singers with great range. But I personally have a strong preference for Freddie. As a musician, I have always felt Queen's music to be far superior in complexity, depth, harmonics, variety, and mix/blending of the recorded music. And Freddie was a master performer and front man, always getting the crowd involved to the point that he had them in the palm of his hand. Unfortunately, I always found Zep's music to be too hard driving, musically lacking, and sounded too much the same. But I have to give credit to Robert Plant for having a great set of lungs.

So give me Freddie and Queen any day of the week. On the other hand, my brother is a Led Zep and Robert Plant fan. Since vocalists and music fall into the category of art, perhaps beauty lies in the eyes (and ears) of the beholder.

INXS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 157 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Robert Plant has a great voice, but if I were to compare him to Freddie....their voices are very different, I must say I enjoy them both but....

Oh yes we'll keep on tryin'

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 10 Jul 05, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great, post Rocky. I have to add to this discussion:

If you listen to 69-72 live Robert Plant, he puts Freddie Mercury as a live singer in his place. Listen to Since I've Been Loving You from the BBC Sessions and find ANY live performance of Freddie with equal emotion and range. Impossible. Plant sang with no fear in the early days, while Mercury was always careful, even on his best days. How The West Was Won... that album is vintage Plant. I have yet to hear any live album with a more powerful and effective singer, strictly from a vocal quality perspective.

For the most part, Freddie Mercury was not a great live singer. I find that he rarely sang with emotion and creativity, because he was so concerned about being careful with his range, and entertaining the audience. Of course I can't put that against him, as he's among the all-time greatest entertainers in popular music. But I'm just making a point. In terms of studio work, I find Freddie was far superior than he was live, and far superior to Plant, and almost every other rock singer in that regard.

I'm sure many people here will feel automatically compelled to disagree with me on some of these points, but after listening to 250 Queen bootlegs, and often hearing the songs sung the exact same way from night to night, that's the conclusion I can safely make. On the contrary, I have about 25 recordings of Zeppelin from 1973, and there are not two recordings of the a song where Plant sings it the same way. He was a far more original singer, but wasn't as much of an entertainer as Freddie. But Plant's drug use and lack of taking care of his voice soon took its toll, and after 1973, his range and overall voice were never the same.

Sure, Freddie has many incredible moments on albums, but the best singers are the ones who can consistently get the job done night after night on a tour. In most cases, neither Freddie nor Plant belong in this category. A guy like James LaBrie from Dream Theater does. He has been consistently strong on the last few tours, singing better than ever. He is very open about how he has a new vocal trainer, and it has done wonders. Now he just seems to get better with age.

So, clearly I like all three of these singers, and for different reasons. But certainly a singer like James LaBrie is in the same league as Plant and Mercury. He's just not in the mainstream, so he has not received the recognition he deserves.

Let's bring bring some other singers into this discussion. How about Paul Rodgers? I can only judge his live stuff from night to night from his tour with Queen, and here's what I've concluded: As long as he's healthy, I think he is a better and far more creative live singer than Freddie was. He is just dripping with emotion, and I'm actually starting to prefer some of his renditions of Queen songs over Freddie's.

Anyone care to mention some others singers? How about some serious Paul McCartney and Bono enthusiasts?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 11 Jul 05, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH,

Great post. Robert Plant came on very strong in 1969, and because I didn't care too much for Zep's music and didn't listen that closely, I never noticed the deterioration in his voice in the mid 1970's. But I did notice that Freddie's voice got progressively better over the years. The vocals on the Innuendo and Made in Heaven albums were amazing.

I suspect there are quite a few other singers out there who haven't been noticed because they haven't found a hit or following yet. Or maybe it's because so much of the music today is crap. But with some good songs, great singers will get noticed.

Posted: 11 Jul 05, 00:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Let's bring bring some other singers into this discussion. How about Paul Rodgers? I can only judge his live stuff from night to night from his tour with Queen, and here's what I've concluded: As long as he's healthy, I think he is a better and far more creative live singer than Freddie was. He is just dripping with emotion, and I'm actually starting to prefer some of his renditions of Queen songs over Freddie's.

Anyone care to mention some others singers? How about some serious Paul McCartney and Bono enthusiasts?"

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to Paul Rodgers with Queen except in some low-quality bootleg stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing them in LA in October.

While I was a big fan of the Beatles, I never considered Paul McCartney to be a great singer. In fact, I preferred John Lennon's voice, which was more soulful and had the ability to cut through. McCartney was a great songwriter, and was unusually good on harmonies. I hope this isn't too irreverant for this board, but from my perspective McCartney and Brian May are in the same class as vocalists -- okay, and great back-up singers/harmonizers, but shouldn't be the lead singers in ANY band.

As far as Bono -- a much better singer than McCartney, but not anywhere close to Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury. And I put Elton John at the same level as Bono.

Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 05, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gunpowder Gelatine wrote:

I think both are great singers but Freddie would probably have been honored to be second to Robert Plant - wasn't he always a big Zeppelin fan?

That's true. They've mentioned Zepp as an influence quite a few times, and it shows on "Innuendo" and "Son and Daughter."

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
Matti user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1619 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 05, 03:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they are both great singers. IMO they are different and can't be compared.

Total Blam Blam
willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 05, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob: Paul Rodgers came in 3th, so he IS also recognized as being an excellent singer.
Full list is here: http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=39084

kerfuffle87 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 419 posts