Forums > Personal > Strange Ascertation re: Robbie Williams

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 05, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well... I have had alot of chances to rewatch tons of Live 8 since it's all archived.

By the way, I personally prefer the UK aol site. www.aol.co.uk Has better stuff with better sound and video quality.

I have experienced the good, the bad, the ugly.

But..I also got a chance to rethink some of my accolades and crticsm of many performers, one being Mr. Robbie.

I still think..and this is just my personal opinion, that he SUCKS at doing Queen's WWRY. BUT before you all throw tomatoes at me...

...I have fallen in love with ''Angels''. Now being from the USA, I don't think I have ever heard the song, even though I KNOW it's like Britain's favorite #1 song in poll after poll.

But, the song is stunning..and he makes it his own. and the way he performs it at Live 8, BECAUSE it IS his own, actually, his performance of ''Angels'' at Live 8, reminds me very much, NOT of Freddie or Queen, but of Bono and U2's star making performance at Live Aid.

The way he jumped into the audience and posed and preened intentionally for all of the international press along the catwalk..as he was singing, and the way he went into the crowd and held and kissed the female fans (all...of which Bono did at Live Aid).

His voice, interpretation, emotion, depth and range singing the song is indeed stellar and exquisite and you can feel his sincere energy, talent, and charisma on the song.

I also did a little research and see that Robbie Co-wrote the song...which might explain and inform the energy and emotion he put into the song when performing it.

The band that supported him on ''Angels'' was superior too. The guitarist playing slide, the drummer was awesome, and I'm not sure if they had a real string section playing or were duplicating string sounds on a synthesizer..but it all worked.

I think Robbie..should stick to what he does BEST...His OWN material. He IS talented, but he should stop trying feeling as if he has to top Freddie or that he is in Freddie's shadow (which also comes across as arrogant and a wannabe)...and just be Robbie Williams.

I think he also should give the USA another chance. If he could write and do more material like ''Angels'' and tour over here, well he certainly would get my vote and he's MUCH more talented that any Clay Aiken or Michael Buble.

I have to say, I have watched his performance of ''Angels'' repeatedly and grow more in love with it each time.

A true star and a stunning performance.

xyz
iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 05, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whadda ya mean you never heard it before?

oh skinny leg i am married to nick jessica simpson covered it last year....

r u saying you dont listen to the blonde bombshell?????????

*shock*

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

Posted: 13 Jul 05, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iron eagle wrote:

Whadda ya mean you never heard it before?

oh skinny leg i am married to nick jessica simpson covered it last year....

r u saying you dont listen to the blonde bombshell?????????

*shock*

You know what...I thought, the song ...sounded familiar...and that that was the song Jessica Simpson covered (which I love too)...but...

....I was actually chicken to say I had only heard her version...and I like it...cuz saying you like Jessica Simpson on this board is grounds for being drawn and quartered. Yeah it's on her 2003 Bonus Tracks version of ''In This Skin'' and I think she does it wonderful justice.

I actually wasn't even sure if that was the same Robbie Williams song til I heard him do it at Live 8 and went...Well....Cool!

But..how come Jessica got radio airplay for it here in the last year, and yet the song was recorded by Robbie in 1997, and yet I have NEVER heard his version here in the USA?

xyz
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pieter read somewhere that Jessica Simpson's father thought she would get a Grammy for her cover of "Angels"..hahaha (Btw, have you heard "These Boots Were Made for Walking"...eeek?!)

I detest Robbie Williams, but yeah...Angels is a good song.

I only had the misfortune of seeing WWRY at Live 8 the other day. Oh my..I see what everyone was complaining about! :-o Horrendous, to say the least.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robbie is too much of a heartrob for my taste. George Michael was 100 times better than him.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I absolutely HATE that song. In fact- this song may be the reason why I can't stand Robbie.. It's IMO and for MY taste just awful...

Erin

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Robbie is too much of a heartrob for my taste. George Michael was 100 times better than him.

Of course, George actually has talent.

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree that George Michael is actually....200 times more talented than Robbie!

But.. as I said I DO like ''Angels'' and I still wonder why I have NEVER heard Robbie's version of that song get ANY radio airplay at all here.

I have only heard Jessie Simpson's, version and then only this last year, on the radio, and also at the grocery store..YES..and ALOT at the grocery store, the Giant here in Maryland plays it all the time).

Anybody know if Robbie's version was ever even released here in the USA? Gezz it came out in 1997.

xyz
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jessica Simpson +
These Boots Were Made for Walking +
The Dukes Of Hazzard =

White Trash Entertainment

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK! enought about Jessica Simpson already. Sheez.

Once more I ask does anybody know if Robbie William's version of ''Angels'' was ever even released here in the USA? (no not as an impost, but a regular USA release).

Also has anyone ever heard his version on USA radio, cuz I sure never have?

It came out in 1997, but I have never heard it here...Live 9 was the 1st time I ever heard him sing it.

xyz
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene, I was practically deaf and heard that song a lot on MTV and the radio...

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

It came out in 1997, but I have never heard it here...Live 9 was the 1st time I ever heard him sing it.

Live 9? damn...did they have another one after live 8? =)

MY GOD spell it write.
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wstüssyb wrote:

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

Not only that, but they're planning to do the same thing as with the 'NOW:That's What I Call Music' releases. Live 43 is expected to be released on 2011. By then, there will also be released 'NOW:That's What I Call Music - Vol. 327'

Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL @ Mr. Jingles!

Give that man a cigar!

Long Live Queen!!!
Erin

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Not only that, but they're planning to do the same thing as with the 'NOW:That's What I Call Music' releases. Live 43 is expected to be released on 2011. By then, there will also be released 'NOW:That's What I Call Music - Vol. 327'

Isn't that the number they are up to with the "NOW" CD's in the UK? ;-) They've been doing those over there way longer than in the US.

I'm just waiting for Jessica's version of "Boots" to show up on "Kid'z Bop" 11.

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wstüssyb wrote:

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

Yes...you must have missed it. It was even bigger and better than Live 8.

Paul McCartney opened it doing a version of The Beatles' song from their white album, doing the John Lennon vocals, singing, #9 over and over...the crowd LOVED it! LOL!

xyz
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

Mr.Jingles79 wrote:

Isn't that the number they are up to with the "NOW" CD's in the UK? ;-) They've been doing those over there way longer than in the US.

I'm just waiting for Jessica's version of "Boots" to show up on "Kid'z Bop" 11.

I'm really looking forward for 'Kidz Bop - All Time Hits'.

- Closer (Nine Inch Nails)
- How Many Licks (Lil' Kim)
- Cocaine (Eric Clapton)
- Because I Got High (Afroman)
- Girls, Girls, Girls (Motley Crue)
- Hit Em' Up (2Pac Shakur)
- Suicide Solution (Ozzy Osbourne)
- Dirrty (Christina Aguilera)
- Cleaning Out My Closet (Eminem)
- Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynard)
- Big Pimpin' (Jay Z)
- I'm A Slave For You (Britney Spears)
- I Want Your Sex (George Michael)
- Mr. Brownstone (Guns N' Roses)
- Fat Bottomed Girls (Queen)

and of course...

- She Bop (Cyndie Lauper)

Erin

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Biatch II wrote:

I'm really looking forward for 'Kidz Bop - All Time Hits'.

- Closer (Nine Inch Nails)
- How Many Licks (Lil' Kim)
- Cocaine (Eric Clapton)
- Because I Got High (Afroman)
- Girls, Girls, Girls (Motley Crue)
- Hit Em' Up (2Pac Shakur)
- Suicide Solution (Ozzy Osbourne)
- Dirrty (Christina Aguilera)
- Cleaning Out My Closet (Eminem)
- Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynard)
- Big Pimpin' (Jay Z)
- I'm A Slave For You (Britney Spears)
- I Want Your Sex (George Michael)
- Mr. Brownstone (Guns N' Roses)
- Fat Bottomed Girls (Queen)

and of course...

- She Bop (Cyndie Lauper)

ROTFLMAO!!! :-D

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

she bop, the ultimate masturbation song, lol

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wstüssyb wrote:

she bop, the ultimate masturbation song, lol

I thought the ultimate M song would be Devinyls' (hope I spelled that right), ''I Touch Myself''!

xyz