Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Irony! Body Language Used In USA Nissan Car Commercial, But Banned 1980's

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last night I saw a Nissan car commercial I think for the Altima 2006 model, where they used ''Body Language''.

Now is this ironic or what? In the 1980's the video from that song was banned in the USA for being so risque, yet now they use the song in a yuppie car commercial.

By the way, I have owned 3 Nissan Sentras, which is the less luxury model of the Altima. I am currently on my 3rd which I love.

Does that kinda qualify as driving a Queen car? Cool!

xyz
Sirk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 132 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Arlene this probably sounds really random but are you related to anyone with the surname Tilson?

Kate xx

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

er...no WTF?

xyz
@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the song itself wasnt banned was it?

i thought it was just the video......

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sirk wrote:

Hey Arlene this probably sounds really random but are you related to anyone with the surname Tilson?

she probably got a list of all 4 Nissan owners and is trying to track you down.. ;-)

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
Sirk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 132 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mike Preston wrote:

Sirk wrote:

she probably got a list of all 4 Nissan owners and is trying to track you down.. ;-)

Er no lol, i just know some one with that maiden name from the states and was just wondering if they were related.

Kate xx
good_old_fashioned_loverboy1986 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 33 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello sorry to be an annoying post but nissan doing that is a correct definition of irony!

If they were responsible for getting it banned and then used the video in their advert now that would be irony.

what they're doing is a coincidence!

I apologise once again for doing this post but I can't stand the incorrect use of words or terms!

Sorry

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"how could i want to break free have been banned if it appeared in a C2 commercial?"

The decency laws in the U.S. are less stringent for soft drink commercials compared to other products.

You know, good times are now.
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Blow it out your ass.

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=black>The Lord Of Darkness wrote:

Arlene is one of the people who forget's to think before posting.

WTF shouldn't they use the song? (that reached 11 in the charts btw). Due to a video wich is banned.

Gees your stupid.

Geez, or gees as in Bee Gees?

The thread was meant as not serious irony, but funny irony so relax big fella!

... and I didn't sey Nissan had no right to use the song.

My point, was...how times and people's attitudes change. What ''shocked or appalled'' USA audiences 20 years ago, is now considered so wholesome they use it for a yuppie car commercial your mom or dad would drive (or me as I am 44, I drive a Nissan and I could be Your mom, young whippersnapper!)

Nowadays rapper 50 Cent is considered ''shocking''. Bet you a decade from now they'll use ''Candy Shop'' on some wholesome commercial. Just ironic how things change with perspective over time.

xyz
greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene claims to be a journalist or reporter or something like that, and that she has done articles for music and movies or something, but yet she doesnt even know the definition of irony.

I want to break free wasnt banned here in the States, just the video. The same with Body Language, just the video wasnt shown after a few times, not the song itself.

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

greaserkat wrote:

Arlene claims to be a journalist or reporter or something like that, and that she has done articles for music and movies or something, but yet she doesnt even know the definition of irony.

I want to break free wasnt banned here in the States, just the video. The same with Body Language, just the video wasnt shown after a few times, not the song itself.

You claim to read but...not so sure the jury is out on that. What I said was.

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

Last night I saw a Nissan car commercial I think for the Altima 2006 model, where they used ''Body Language''.

Now is this ironic or what? In the 1980's the video from that song was banned in the USA for being so risque, yet now they use the song in a yuppie car commercial. [quote]

You all take this WAY too seriously too folks. As I said i thought it was irony, which it is, in an amusing way how times and peoples attitudes change over the years. How 20 some years ago, the video for that was considered so shocking, now the song behind it is considered so down home wholesome that they use it for a mom and pop yuppie car commercial.

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

<

The thread was meant as not serious irony, but funny irony so relax big fella!

... and I didn't say Nissan had no right to use the song.

My point, was...how times and people's attitudes change. What ''shocked or appalled'' USA audiences 20 years ago, is now considered so wholesome they use it for a yuppie car commercial your mom or dad would drive (or me as I am 44, I drive a Nissan and I could be Your mom, young whippersnapper!)

Nowadays rapper 50 Cent is considered ''shocking''. Bet you a decade from now they'll use ''Candy Shop'' on some wholesome commercial. Just ironic how things change with perspective over time.

xyz
Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The scary thing is...
what are MY kids gonna listen to to piss ME off?!
(keep in mind, I'm 18)

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene, Arlene, Arlene. There is absolutely no irony in that. IF the commercial would have had a couple of girls in bikinis and a coulple of guys in speedos with sweat all over their bodies inside the baths, with the car like in the middle, THAN that would have been ironic, because it would have been exactly the same as the video that was banned.

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
death to ming! 23397 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 05, 19:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene, it's okay to admit that you're wrong. You have misunderstood the meaning of irony.

Okay, let's seeeee. The Body Language video is banned by MTV for its *visual* content. A couple of decades later, television networks (nothing to do with a music video channel) air a commercial for a car, without depicting the said "offensive" visuals.

So, basically, the crux of the issue - banned visual content - is a non-factor! This case doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for the World Irony Awards.

Let me guess... you think Alanis Morissette's hit song "Ironic" is lyrically brilliant, right?

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 05, 03:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Death to Ming! wrote:

Let me guess... you think Alanis Morissette's hit song "Ironic" is lyrically brilliant, right?

Hah!

"Rain on your wedding day isn't ironic. What would be ironic is if you had moved from a rainy city like Seattle to the desert or other dry climate, and *then* it rained...." (paraphrasing some guy on VH1)

Also that Nissan commercial seems pretty classy and cool so I hope they keep showing it....

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 05, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

burr wrote:

sweden_man wrote:

how could i want to break free have been banned if it appeared in a C2 commercial?

Sorry if someone posted this, but MTV banned I Want To Break Free. The BBC banned Body Language. Why the ban on I Want To Break Free? Drag... at the time, NO ONE did drag on TV.

...except Boy George.

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 05, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

andylamb_38 wrote:

the song itself wasnt banned was it?

i thought it was just the video......

I agree.
hmm...I wish I could see that commercial.

imo...most Queen songs are suitable for commercials because they arouse various imaginations in our minds that are nothing to do with their original promo videos. I think whoever use Queen songs know well about appealing to people's mind effectively.

btw, thank you for owning Nissan's cars, for two of my cousins work at Nissan...

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
Stryder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 05, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene, you have to be the most stupid bitch ever. Get a life

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 05, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Arlene, but those talking about you misundertanding the irony thing and the banned video, rather than song, are right. It was only the video that was considered risque, not the track itself. Pretty much the same that happened to IWTBF.

Peace,
Adam.