Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Were Queen on Do They Know It's Christmas?

forum rss feed
Author

mercuryrocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jul 05, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anybody know if Queen or any of the members of Queen were on the song Do They Know It's Christmas from 1985(?)? It seems like they were not, but I think it is a little weird if they weren't... I mean, Queen were huge at that point and I could imagine they would want to be on that track if they were asked... Does anybody know?

Rule with your heart and live with your conscience...
bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 05, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They weren´t...

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=562273

But they were on "Thank God It´s Christmas"! :-)

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

Posted: 16 Jul 05, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh..sorry.. I had not seen that topic here before. But thanks!

Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 05, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, Freddie managed to poke his head out of the crowd a few times at the Live Aid UK finale, when they sang "Do They Know It's Christmas?", but I was surprised he didn't get a mike all to his own.

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation

Posted: 16 Jul 05, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He did? :) I have not seen all of Live Aid 1985. I have just seen the 4-5 songs Queen performed, but I could imagine that Freddie would do something like that! :)
It is really a shame though that Freddie did not have a line on that song! The song is great, but maybe it would have been so much better with a little help from Freddie/Queen! Wouldn't it?

Mercury/Taylor05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 05, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree with you mercuryrocks, although do they know... is a good song and made for a good cause. Would have been better with Queen's touch added to it!! Would have liked to have listened to Freddie singing a line. Don't know why they were not on the single, should have been!!!

Sharon G. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 462 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 05, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe Queen was on tour somewhere and could not make it for the recording of the single.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but read that somewhere.

But yes, Freddie would have been great on it.!

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Queen were in some kind of 'dip' at that moment. Geldof didn't ask them at that time.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Suigi wrote:

Well, Freddie managed to poke his head out of the crowd a few times at the Live Aid UK finale, when they sang "Do They Know It's Christmas?", but I was surprised he didn't get a mike all to his own.

i can't believe i just read that!!!! why were you surprised?
the whole point of Live Aid was Africa - not Egos/Stardom/Spotlight....they all shared the mikes for the finale...and unless you weren't aware...there were bigger box-office draws on show than Queen that day (queen were on a bit of a dip until the post-live-aid effect lifted their careers again)....and i didn't see the biger stars jostling for the mike either - everyone did thier bit - they all entered into the spirit of the event

go deo na hÉireann
brENsKi

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 05:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mercury/Taylor05 wrote:

Totally agree with you mercuryrocks, although do they know... is a good song and made for a good cause. Would have been better with Queen's touch added to it!! Would have liked to have listened to Freddie singing a line. Don't know why they were not on the single, should have been!!!

how would it have been better with 'queen's touch added'?
one line would not have made a blind bit of difference to quality or sales - (Bob/Midge already had all the productions sorted) the song was already structured and written BEFORE the recording, and it couldn't have sold any more copies than it did - everyone that could afford a copy bought one! - so queen would've made no difference...and if you (personally) feel it would've been a better song for having FM sing ONE LINE then you are so far up the 'queen can do no wrong arsehole' that you are beyond rescue!

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not saying that Queen's contribution to the song would have increased the sales of the record. I'm just saying that i would have liked to have seen Freddie singing a line in that song. As i thought Queen were doing reasonably well in England at the time of the song was recorded so just wondering why they were not on it.

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they had just finished the south african dates from the october when the song was recorded on 25/11/84... & they werent the most popular people following the sun city dates & anyway geldof probably wanted all the "pop" acts for record & saved Queen for the live show the following july well thats my view

brENsKi

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mercury/Taylor05 wrote:

Not saying that Queen's contribution to the song would have increased the sales of the record. I'm just saying that i would have liked to have seen Freddie singing a line in that song. As i thought Queen were doing reasonably well in England at the time of the song was recorded so just wondering why they were not on it.

but THAT'S NOT what you said;
YOU SAID: 'Would have been better with Queen's touch added to it!!'
explain how it would've been better
sales:
musically:
production;
writing:
which one? because one line from FM would not have improved ANY of it

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

C'mon Brenski! The only reason Mercury/Taylor05 and I said that we would like Queen/Freddie on the track and that the song would have been better if Queen/Freddie were on it, is simply that we are fans of Freddie and Queen!
Of course, one single line from Freddie probably would not improve the whole song but we just like Queen's sound and it would have been great if they were on it. You should not take it all that serious, Brenski. We just like Queen and would love it if they were on the track because we like their sound (and maybe they actually could improve the song with their amazing sound!) We did not mean it that seriously.

Sorry, Mercury/Taylor05 for talking on your behalf here. But I allow myself to believe that you agree with me here... :)

brENsKi

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

but THAT's my whole point
it's wouldn't sound like queen - even for one fekkin line!!!
U2 and wham and duran and sting were on there...but their 'lines' didn't sound like their bands at all

this ain't about me being serious it's about simple facts - queen would've made NO diffiernce to the song
unless of course it would matter to the 'stepfords' out there who would've bought the single ine 7, 12, cassette and every other format it was released in.....but you're not a stepford are you? so you understand the point i'm making ;-)

go deo na hÉireann
brENsKi

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maxpower wrote:

they had just finished the south african dates from the october when the song was recorded on 25/11/84... & they werent the most popular people following the sun city dates & anyway geldof probably wanted all the "pop" acts for record & saved Queen for the live show the following july well thats my view

geldof didn't 'save queen' for the concert - the concert wasn't planned for ages after bandaid, and anyhow (someone with knowledge help me here) didn't queen get added to the bill late on?

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would have liked to have heard queen on the track because they are a great band. You have the likes of sting, george michael etc (the 'top' 80s singers and bands) on the song but not queen. However the single is good without them and credit musn't be taken away from Bob Geldof, Midge Ure and the artists involved. But as Mercuryrocks stated "The only reason Mercury/Taylor05 and I said that we would like Queen/Freddie on the track and that the song would have been better if Queen/Freddie were on it, is simply that we are fans of Freddie and Queen"! Maybe i am being selfish saying that it would have been better with Queen/Freddie but thats only because i love Queen! I'm sorry for my comments if they have bugged you Brenski didn't mean to bug anyone, i was just adding my thoughts to the topic. :) Anyway i will shut up now :) hehe

brENsKi

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you haven't bugged me girl. no offence taken - and i hope you were not offended by my comments, as none was intended!
i just find it hard to understand anyone but a stepford wanting to change something - just to get their idols in it

there are other ways - ask someone in the fan mixes section to re-work DTKIC and put FM in it? - i'm sure some of his vox soemwhere would fit...

joking aside. it was a zillion times better for queen that they weren't on the bandaid single...let's face it, by doing the gig and not being on the record they had a point to prove to the world...and they did it much better...would they have tried so hard at liveaid if they'd already been on the record? i don't think it woulda meant so much to them

anyhow, everything's cool - i have thick skin (it goes with my thick head very well) all the best girl ;-)

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the advice Brenski "there are other ways - ask someone in the fan mixes section to re-work DTKIC and put FM in it? - i'm sure some of his vox somewhere would fit..." i might do that.
I'm glad everything is cool :)Have a good evening!!! :)

brENsKi

Posted: 17 Jul 05, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mercury/Taylor05 wrote:

Thanks for the advice Brenski "there are other ways - ask someone in the fan mixes section to re-work DTKIC and put FM in it? - i'm sure some of his vox somewhere would fit..." i might do that.
I'm glad everything is cool :)Have a good evening!!! :)

..and you did notice the very next words were 'joking aside' - it wasn't a serious comment.... ;-)

you have a good evening too!!

go deo na hÉireann