Forums > Personal > "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" discussion (Spoilers allowed)

forum rss feed
Author

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Jul 05, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seeing as there is another topic on this book, which I opened and later marked "(No spoilers please)", I think it would be just as fair to open another topic, and follow suit of other websites such as BulbaGarden and MuggleNet that have separate spoiler and non-spoiler topics on the 6th book in the Harry Potter series, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince".

Note that although I am starting this topic, I will NOT read it (as I am doing the same with those above-mentioned websites with the BBS forums) until I have finished the book. I am currently on page 362 out of 607 (Canadian Edition), so I am a little bit more than half-way through the book.

But for those of us QZ'ers that have bought and/or read the book and finished it, you can discuss the book and its plots (and the widely speculated 'death' of course, which I as of writing haven't gotten to the part of yet, hence my abstaining from reading this topic after I create it until I finish reading the book), and even more.

To others that may have opened this topic without reading the "Spoilers allowed" part of the title:

BEWARE OF SPOILERS WHEN READING THE POSTS BELOW THIS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE STILL READING THE BOOK MENTIONED ABOVE IN THIS POST AND IN THE TOPIC TITLE.

Otherwise, discuss away!

Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 05, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK I'll spoil it.

DO NOT READ THE POST BELOW IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY READING THE BOOK!

Smitty

Posted: 18 Jul 05, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dumbledore dies.

Draco Malfoy joins the death eaters.

Severus Snape is actually a death eater who killed Dumledore and was known as the Half-Blood Prince.

Anyone got more quentions (that's a name) (noooo reallly.) for me to answer, I'll be back in 10 hours.

Good night.

-edit-
SURROUNDED BY CROUDS YELLING "THANKS FOR SPOILING IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE!!!!"

Smitty

Posted: 18 Jul 05, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alex Solan wrote:

I have a question RIGHT NOW: what's a "quention"?

It's a name.

geeksandgeeks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4296 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 05, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Dumbledore asked Snape to do it, but I already presented this theory in the Mugglenet chat and they all hate me for it, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut, dammit.

God wants you to send me some money.

"Seven spades doubled, vulnerable, making seven? You BITCH."
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DD wouldn't plead for his life like that. In previous books DD has constantly said there are many things worse than death. In my opinion DD ordered Snape to kill him during the arguement they had. DD was the Hocrux (sp) or that stuff he drank was.

In book 7 I think we will see Snape have a massive role and Harry will be torn whether to kill him or help him destroy Voldy.

Guess who's back?
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RAB is Regulus Black, Sirius' brother and the Horcrux is still at Grimmauld Place somewhere. I am entirely convinced. Remember in OOTP they were cleaning out the house and found "a heavy locket which nobody could open"? Could this be the Horcrux? Regulus joined the Death Eaters, panicked about what he was being asked to do, tried to back out and was killed according to Sirius...maybe he was actually killed because he was suspected of tampering with the Horcrux. It's so characteristic of JKR to mention something seemingly inconsequential in passing that turns out to be crucial.
G&G, I agree with you, I don't think DD was pleading for his life, I think he was pleading Snape to finish him off. Snape's still an unknown quantity - we still really don't know why DD trusted him and it must be more than what Harry thinks.
Bit rough though, asking Snape to use an Unforgiveable Curse for him...
All in all, so very impressed with this book and I look forward to the last instalment. I really want to know more about Harry's parents.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
Rockyuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 165 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Taking your own life because someone mentioned a spoiler about book 6 is completly sad... I mean theres still the 7th book? He could do it after that. (joke)

Im not sure if snape still bad or not.

I felt there were some really sad parts in this book, like when harry was talking about his mother to slughorn (when slughorn was drunk) and breaking up with ginny at the end.

Um, Whoooaaa!...?
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That bloke is a drop kick. Fanatic or not -> drop kick.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Queenleaf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1381 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm really sad. I read it from 12:30am to 8:30am - my dad was pissed because he says Harry Potter is evil but that's beside it. It was really good though. I must say, I thought of Snape being the half-blood prince I mean, he was obviously good at Potions! But I thought the book was supposed to be 50 years old and I thought that was when Tom Riddle was there, not when Snape, Lupin, Sirius, etc. were there. Any other thoughts on this?

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it.

-Sir Thomas Beecham to a lady cellist

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

geeksandgeeks wrote:

I think Dumbledore asked Snape to do it, but I already presented this theory in the Mugglenet chat and they all hate me for it, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut, dammit.

I thought of Snape getting someone else to pretend to be Dumbledore and killing that person instead (you notice, Harry never does use the jam question :) ) but I'm afraid it's probably just wishfull thinking on all our parts.

I think Rowling has played a trick on us. Getting us to take it as a given that Snape always looks like he's on the bad side but is really good all along and then she really suprizes us when we find out he's been bad all along after all. Kind of cool. It's a pity, I've always really liked Snape myself. And I think Lucius is sooooooooooooo hot in the movies!!!!!! And everyone I know thinks Draco is hot... I even named my violin Lucius actually which was kind of funny, b/c I named him that before seeing the movies! :)

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it.

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Banquo wrote:

DD wouldn't plead for his life like that. In previous books DD has constantly said there are many things worse than death. In my opinion DD ordered Snape to kill him during the arguement they had. DD was the Hocrux (sp) or that stuff he drank was.

In book 7 I think we will see Snape have a massive role and Harry will be torn whether to kill him or help him destroy Voldy.

I had a theory that the necklace (or whatever) really was the horcrux after all. What better way to insure that the person who found it would not destroy his soul than by getting him to think it wasn't in the object at all? That's a very interesting theory about the stuff he drank and all. Thanks for posting that!

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dragonzflame wrote:

RAB is Regulus Black, Sirius' brother and the Horcrux is still at Grimmauld Place somewhere. I am entirely convinced. Remember in OOTP they were cleaning out the house and found "a heavy locket which nobody could open"? Could this be the Horcrux? Regulus joined the Death Eaters, panicked about what he was being asked to do, tried to back out and was killed according to Sirius...maybe he was actually killed because he was suspected of tampering with the Horcrux. It's so characteristic of JKR to mention something seemingly inconsequential in passing that turns out to be crucial.
G&G, I agree with you, I don't think DD was pleading for his life, I think he was pleading Snape to finish him off. Snape's still an unknown quantity - we still really don't know why DD trusted him and it must be more than what Harry thinks.
Bit rough though, asking Snape to use an Unforgiveable Curse for him...
All in all, so very impressed with this book and I look forward to the last instalment. I really want to know more about Harry's parents.

Oh dear now I think you're right I had forgotten about that! That's good... sigh I'm going to stop all my stupid posting now...

Rockyuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 165 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 17:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If harry had drunken the weakening potion, dumbledoor would easily have been able to get back to hogwarts and save the day. And still be alive.

Sirius was a anmignous (sp) maybe his brother was aswell? could be in hiding. I had a strange thought that his brother could be fang, hagrids doggy. A stupid therory though.

Um, Whoooaaa!...?
Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=blue>Smittygecko wrote:

Dumbledore dies.

Severus Snape is actually a death eater who killed Dumledore and was known as the Half-Blood Prince.

Anyone got more quentions (that's a name) (noooo reallly.) for me to answer, I'll be back in 10 hours.

Good night.

-edit-

You are a fucking wanker. Just because it says spoilers allowed dosen't mean you shoudl DO it.

Ass.

"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"

Sean Connery
Smitty

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 19:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

Dumbledore dies.

Good night.

-edit-

You are a fucking wanker. Just because it says spoilers allowed dosen't mean you shoudl DO it.

Ass.

JUST BECAUSE THE FORUM TOPIC IS HERE DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD VISIT IT.

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 05, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even though I read the spoilers before the book, I couldn't believe Dumbledore died. I'm still hoping there's a catch in there somewhere. And maybe I'm an optimist, but I always thought Snape could've been good! I can't wait to see how the next book turns out now that Harry's not going back to Hogwarts.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

eggy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3358 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't know what was going to happen, but I gotta say I was pretty dissapointed with the book. Just went on and on about not a lot. All the petty in fighting reminds me of my sister, and 16/17 in this day and age do not get all shy at the site of the opposite sex like that.
Still was good, just not what I was expecting.

inu-liger

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 06:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just finished the book.

I started reading it at about 9:45AM local time on Saturday morning, and finished it this morning, Wednesday at 4:24AM, so in other words for an approx. total of 3 days and 19H 20M
(I could've finished it sooner, as I finished book 5 in exactly 3 and a half days as I've mentioned before, first time I read it. I've had other things happen this week to prevent me breaking that record)

I actually cried when I got to the part where Dumbledore got killed, and that's really saying something. I didn't cry when Sirius got killed off in the last book, but this death really got to me.

But I think it will lead to something BIG in the 7th and final book in the series...what exactly, lies yet ahead to be seen.

inu-liger

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 06:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

Dumbledore dies.

Good night.

-edit-

Ass.

Well then, you shouldn't have clicked the topic title link, dumbass.

There *WAS*, or IS, a reason that I created a topic about this book in the first place, which I later revised the title for to include "(No spoilers please)", and then later decided to create a "spoilers discussion"-type thread about the same book, because I realized afterwards it wouldn't be fair for us not to have an opportunity to express our thoughts and feelings.

And the last time a HP book got released (in this case, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"), there was only ONE topic, and thus spoilers eventually leaked onto the topic and people got angry. Hence my helping to avoid that situation again by creating two topics on the new book this time.