Forums > Queen - General Discussion > the millionaire waltz

forum rss feed
Author

gazfred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

would anyone agree that this is in many ways the ultimate queen song? it combines the playful and skillful piano playing of freddie with the tight bass of john, it has great drums in it from roger and contains surely one of brians best guitar orchestrations. it is an grandiose epic with tempo changes combining balladry with freddies soft sad beautiful voice with heavy rock and camp playful bits ending with a mass chorus of freddie brian and roger singing. anyone agree? btw i dont mean this is their defining moment or even their best song (though its right up their) i mean to sum queen up in all their magnificance is this the song to do it?

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I could agree with that.

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wot makes it only a could? (not being angry and moody jus wonderin wot ur view is- thought id clarify that. sum ppl on ere r a bit 2 quick2 fight!)

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thatl b a no to it being the defining song then!!? wot dont u like about it? wots the defining song in ur view?

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cant argue with the prophets song. if you had said dancer on the other hand!

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a nice song. But not brilliant.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the hero u miss my point i think. im not askin for the favourite queen song cool cat could very well be someones fave queen song without any argument but no one would deem it the song that best summed queen up. the march of the black queen is a song that wont get ne argument from me

Insomni@ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 340 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gazfred wrote:

would anyone agree that this is in many ways the ultimate queen song? it combines the playful and skillful piano playing of freddie with the tight bass of john, it has great drums in it from roger and contains surely one of brians best guitar orchestrations. it is an grandiose epic with tempo changes combining balladry with freddies soft sad beautiful voice with heavy rock and camp playful bits ending with a mass chorus of freddie brian and roger singing. anyone agree? btw i dont mean this is their defining moment or even their best song (though its right up their) i mean to sum queen up in all their magnificance is this the song to do it?

I agree

It's a long hard struggle

But you can always depend on me

And if you're ever in trouble

You know where I will be

its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think bohemain rhapsody is the best

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it could be one of their defining songs, because it's such a mixture of different moods, tempos and styles...and that's what Queen were. The bass is brilliant and so are the layered guitars! It took me awhile to really appreciate this song, though.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

kyassor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think of Millionaires Waltz as a sequal to Bohemian Rhapsody - similar in style but different enough to be a great song on it's own.

Tim June user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 366 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 05, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The millionaire waltz is kind of a weird song but sounds still good. Weird, because of the Waltzer elements in it, it`s typical for Queen`s musically decadent years. This area ended with the NOTW album and the breakthru of Punk as an important part of commercial rock music, which was (I think) an important influence even to the development of Queen.
But back to the topic, I prefer the studio version of this song, it is a comfortable mixture of rock and ballad elements. It`s typical 70ties Queen. It reminds me a bit of Doing Alright. The song stood for me (as mentioned by others before) in a line with Liar, March Of The..., Bohemian Rhapsody and even later on It`s Late.
But I don`t think it is the ultimative Queen song, because Queen sounded very different to that kind of music in the 80ties.

Excuse me for my bad English, I hope you are able to understand me.

life could be magic if we break free
Goo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 295 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 05, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep, I've always thought that this song sums up every single thing I love about Queen. Actually, I sometimes think it's just the ultimate song. In general. (yeah, it's my favourite :) )

Playful as a pussycat.
Mr Drowse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 791 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 05, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always hesitate to use terms as ultimate or best etc. I agree that this song sums up a many of Queen's diversity and definately represents Queen at their best.

Feed the Phoenix :)
dimcyril user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 280 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 05, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love it when the heavy bit goes into the waltz piano.

we've no ancestral halls, no haughty portraits on our walls, no family monuments at all, unless it's my cousin sheila's stupendous clevage.
rockyracoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 05, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This group needs to wake up! The Millionaire Waltz shows off some of Queen's skills and diversity, but Queen is a ROCK band. And Millionaire Waltz is NOT a rock song. And I don't remember Queen doing other waltzes. So to say this is the ultimate Queen song, or that this song defines Queen when they never did anything else like it, makes me gag.

If we want to choose something to be the ultimate in defining Queen's music, how about something that includes some energy, some great harmonies, some complexity in the layering, and great vocals showing off Freddie's voice, how about:

Somebody to Love
Innuendo
Show Must Go On
Who Wants to Live Forever
We Are the Champions

Roy Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 05, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree with you Rockyracoon. You say that Queen where a rock band, and this is not a rock song. Well, if Who Want's To Live Forever is a Rock song, The Millionaire Waltz definetively is a rock song. And Queen didn't play only rock, did they....?

heyheyheyhey, it was the DNA...
its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 05, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roy Queen wrote:

I disagree with you Rockyracoon. You say that Queen where a rock band, and this is not a rock song. Well, if Who Want's To Live Forever is a Rock song, The Millionaire Waltz definetively is a rock song. And Queen didn't play only rock, did they....?

queen were mainly rock if u put them in a cataggory they would fit in as rock but they do have some rockNroll or as u may say pop..but i still think Bohemian Rhapsody is the best...

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
great king rat 1138 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 05, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I just love this song because it shows what an amazing bass player John is. I've been playing bass for twelve years, and the runs at the start of the song still evade me! Overall, I think it would definitely be in my top 5 queen songs.

"I'll probably make loads of plans, and then just sit around on my bottom all day long and do nothing." The Man In The Shadows says it like it is.

http://www.myspace.com/petearnold

rockyracoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 05, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most of Queen's music has a LOT of power. Millionaire Waltz is artistic, but it has no power. Therefore, to me, it doesn't do a good job of defining Queen.