Forums > Queen - General Discussion > queen and rodgers

forum rss feed
Author

gazfred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i realise this topic may have been covered b4 but im goin 2 raise it again. bearing in mind QPR had the whole of the queen back catalogue to choose songs from do u wish there had been a few different songs. by the look of the setlist for the new dvd only i want it all the show must go on and these are the days were done from the three non toured albums. Would have loved to see innuendo,headlong,the miracle,breakthru, was it all worth it and heaven for everyone and possibly songs from earlier queen albums which seem under represented. do u think this will be addresses if and when they tour again?

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't see them keeping A Kind of Magic for the U.S. tour. I agree, they should look to other songs as well. These come to my mind as potential good PR songs:

Liar
White Man
Doing Alright
The Prophet Song
Let Me Entertain You
Need Your Loving Tonight

Queen& user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 562 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

I can't see them keeping A Kind of Magic for the U.S. tour. I agree, they should look to other songs as well. These come to my mind as potential good PR songs:

Liar
White Man
Doing Alright
The Prophet Song
Let Me Entertain You
Need Your Loving Tonight

Theyve gota put just 70's and early 80's in that tour they were not sucessfull 84 onwards in us

Paddy Can You Hear Me Now

Phoenix Nights Series 1
Queen& user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 562 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

woo hoo wrote:

AmeriQueen wrote:

Liar
White Man
Doing Alright
The Prophet Song
Let Me Entertain You
Need Your Loving Tonight

was the any of paul solo stuff on this tour or was it all free bad company

Theyve gota put just 70's and early 80's in that tour they were not sucessfull 84 onwards in us

Paddy Can You Hear Me Now

Phoenix Nights Series 1
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, but that was then...and this is NOW. and NOW USA Queen fans DO know and love the post 1984 stuff and love Innuendo, AKOM, I Want It All, Headlong, Breakthru, Princes Of The Universe, TSMGO, Heaven For Everyone, The Miracle, One Vision.

I want to hear this if they tour the USA as well as the 70's and early 80's stuff.

I think most 2005 USA era fans are big enough Queen fans to know and love the whole music catalog, and could care less about what wasn't popular or what didn't get radio airplay after the mid 1980's. That was the USA audience, THEN.

NOW....we USA Queen fans know better and want the whole kit and caboodle. Give us more credit for wanting to hear and appreciating everything by Queen.

I want them to add more material and mix it up BIG TIME!

xyz
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 17:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

woo hoo wrote:

AmeriQueen wrote:

Liar
White Man
Doing Alright
The Prophet Song
Let Me Entertain You
Need Your Loving Tonight

Don't be silly. They will play whatever you want. They are playing to Queen fans not random fans.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
bryans permed poodle 15069 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rodgers Must Go

Paul Rodgers - "Gimp Of The Year 2006"
Brettles user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 79 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fuck off poodle... Is that all you can say??

If Paul needed to 'fuck off' then they wouldn't have sold out to countless numbers of audiences across Europe so far this tour. You NEED to realise this BPP.

Start to form a life for yourself... beyond Freddie (as much as we love him)... and maybe even go to a Q+PR gig... you never know... you might just enjoy it!

Sharon G. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 462 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie -
We love you and really really miss you!

rmtfictionqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

woo hoo wrote:

AmeriQueen wrote:

Liar
White Man
Doing Alright
The Prophet Song
Let Me Entertain You
Need Your Loving Tonight

That might be why my radio station won't play anything past Under Pressure.

james gaden 2072 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For a US tour, I think if they did drop Queen numbers they'd be far more likely to look to Paul's back catalogue. Bad Company were absolutely huge in the States so I think an inclusion of classic Rodgers anthems like "Ready For Love" or "Shooting Star" would go down a bomb in the States. Those coupled with the Queen hits US fans remember would guarantee a rousing reception.

JG

gazfred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 05, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i understand they have to play the hits but it wud be nice to hear some 89-95 stuff and earlier heavier stuff that would suit paul's voice. even a medley say of liar, great king rat, its late lap of the gods revisited? or other songs in a meedley any suggestions? ps brians permed poodle i didnt start this post to have another pointless endless discussion about paul rodgers. if u dnt like him do the following
1 dont buy the new cd
2 dont go and see them live
3 just listen to queen with freddie
and most importantly
4 don ttry and start arguments with people who can listen to queen and accept that its not the same without freddie, but remember thats kinda the point this is different and new and suurely more excitin than waitin for another greatest hits and the anthology. personally i cant wait to hear the show must go on and i want it all with paul, with roger singin radio gaga these are the days and the bo rhap with freddie and paul singin sounds great. if u dont like paul rodgers who cares?

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 05, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gazfred wrote:

Would have loved to see innuendo,headlong,the miracle,breakthru, was it all worth it and heaven for everyone and possibly songs from earlier queen albums which seem under represented. do u think this will be addresses if and when they tour again?

i think it's got little chance of any FM songs making the US setlist - it'll be more BHM, RT and PR written songs wait n see

here's the song-writing from a typical Europe setlist

FM - 5 songs
BM - 9
RT - 4
JD - 2
PR - 6

go deo na hÉireann
All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 05, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel a riot about to begin...

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
brENsKi

Posted: 29 Jul 05, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga wrote:

I feel a riot about to begin...

not from me, mate!
i don't subscribe to the idiotic 'no queen without fred' lunacy. they have every right to carry on working as Queen - but i think the live output should truly reflect queen's music down the years.

i do think BM is trying to expunge FM from the 'live scene' - if at the very least to 'big up' or increase his own 'self-importance' must be terrible for the poor fella that even now, 14 years after FM's demise, he can't be seen as a song-writing equal by most queen fans.

let's face it, if you're new to queen and you go to see them live and all you hear is BM tracks - you may just think that you';re hearing their best songs...

go deo na hÉireann
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 29 Jul 05, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did it ever occur to anyone that Brian's songs simply suit Paul's voice the best? They really ROCK on this tour and the reason is- Brian's tracks are riff driven. Riffs, blues- that's what Paul is all about. Now Freddie's tracks are in vast majority piano based. Yeah, sure- Spike could play those parts, but... Wouldn't we complain than that there's too much Freddie there and that they're ripping of his legacy...? Brian's tracks simply suit Rodgers' voice the best. Fat Bottomed Girls or I Want It all were those that on this tour sounded the best. Go figure...
And c'mon- Freddie's very much there. Empty stool, dedications to Love Of My Life, BoRhap... I actually thought it was too much... Especially the screen and BoRhap...

brENsKi

Posted: 29 Jul 05, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry fenderek, i have to disagree
the setlist shows that freddie's presence is being 'written out' of the queen live formula

let's face a couple of facts here
1. Freddie wrote almost half of ALL queen songs written.
2. there are stacks of other freddie tracks that paul could sing

liar
stl
lap of the gods (rev)
ogre battle
melancholy blues
born to love you
made in heaven

all they require is a little reworking or rearrangement...not exactly difficult...just appears laziness and a wish to dispose of some live classics

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 29 Jul 05, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When was it alst time Ogre Battkle was played? How was Born To Love You or Made In Heaven live classics? I was surprised there was nothing from made In Heaven... And I could agree on STL- that would actually really suit Paul's voice! But Liar- I'm not so sure... C'mon- when ppl were saying which songs would REALLY suit Rodgers' style- they were coming up with even more Brian's songs! White Man- Man, he would have really kick ass with atht song!
See What A Fool I've Been- we've got the best white blues singer EVER and there's no blues...
It's Late- again- PERFECT for Paul...

I don't see it this way. In The Lap Of The Gods...? Could have been gfun, I agree- but than we'd complAin they mirror MAGIC tour setlist! I could come up with other Freddie's tracks that would fit BETTER- Get Down Make Love for instance, another PERFECT for Paul...
Man- I'm not going to defend this set list. I'd love to hear more stuff from 70s. But I'm affraid majority of those I'd kill to hear are as well Brian's songs... BECAUSE I think they really, REALLY suit Paul... And I really don't acre who wrote them...

brENsKi

Posted: 29 Jul 05, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i didin't use the words 'live classic' when referring to the new songs...i jsut thought they could choose not to be lazy and add some of the later stuff that FM wrote

also STL, ITLATG and liar would all work
- it's about arrangement...and if they're too lazy well then that just endorses the theory that they are just in it to make more fast bucks...much like the WWRY musical eh?

let's face it you get two old established rockstars with f-all to do and an 'alternative comedian' who hates everthing establishment and THATS the formula for making a musical about a rock band? - Queen were everthing Ben Elton kicked against during the 80s and 90s - so why the change of heart?

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 29 Jul 05, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

Queen were everthing Ben Elton kicked against during the 80s and 90s - so why the change of heart?

Ehm... Money?
But taht's not about set list, is it :) OK- I agree with you on MiH tracks- I was surprised they weren't there, I was REALLY surprised there were no more tracks from both MIRACLE and INNUENDO- Those tracks they never had a chance to perform, those would be really welcome.. Man, I'd kill for Breakthru... (and I think it'd suit Paul as well). Laziness? OK- maybe... Come to think of it- they mostly played tracks they already knew by heart...