Forums > Queen - General Discussion > remastering errors

forum rss feed
Author

Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wait...what?!
What remastering errors do you speak of?

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 05, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Lap Of The Gods missing measure was fixed, the intro to It's Late is fixed (though there's still a gap between WWRY and WATC)...not sure what was wrong with the Miracle. The other two were fixed over 10 years ago I think :)

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer the UK Abbey Road remasters of SHA and NOTW! I also prefer the original Capitol CD issue of The Miracle!

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Original CD release of The Miracle contains 'right' version of IWIA. The rest of HR's errors were fixed.

LifeKiller user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 62 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fat Bottomed Girls, there's a kind of "click" after a few seconds, damn!

Mars 4 ever & QueeN rocks!
The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LifeKiller wrote:

Fat Bottomed Girls, there's a kind of "click" after a few seconds, damn!

Wasnt that just on Queen Rocks, though?

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 06:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hollywood says the CD version of I Want It All on The Miracle is correct, which means the original vinyl was apparently wrong. ;)

It's Late was fixed right away. No one ever believes me that there shouldn't be that long of a gap between WWRY/WATC though so it never gets fixed ;) No vinyl I ever had had that long of a gap.

And yes FBG was only messed up on Queen Rocks (now fixed).

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 06:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goinback wrote:

Hollywood says the CD version of I Want It All on The Miracle is correct, which means the original vinyl was apparently wrong. ;)

"When Hollywood Records was remastering the album, Queen Productions provided the incorrect album master tape to Hollywood Records. The I Want It All mix that appears on the Hollywood release was added to the album master on March 15, 1989" Adam Unger, http://queenvault.com

Daniel vZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 793 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've got a version of Hot Space, were I got a little gap in the song 'Back Chat', it's about 1 sec. maybe 1,5 sec. Pretty annoying :/

"If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky

If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die".

Andy Gregory user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually I've got the CD of the Jazz album and the click on Fat Bottomed Girls is on there!

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goinback wrote:

And yes FBG was only messed up on Queen Rocks (now fixed).

Eh?? I remember getting that same error on the Jazz album, just the same as Andy says. It IS NOT an isolated incident with Queen Rocks.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow I didn't know that (about Jazz)...I bought a Jazz CD a year ago though and it's been fixed now.

Never heard about the Hot Space error before.

The trainspotter's guide (can't remember the addy) tells about the IWIA problem in more detail if interested.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1417 posts

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

"When Hollywood Records was remastering the album, Queen Productions provided the incorrect album master tape to Hollywood Records. The I Want It All mix that appears on the Hollywood release was added to the album master on March 15, 1989" Adam Unger, http://queenvault.com

That it is incorrect. The I Want It All version added to the master on March 15th 1989 is the regular album version. The pre-March 15th version is the Hollywood Records master. I know as I have cassette copies of both masters from Abbey Road.

Wilki Amieva

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also the In The Lap Of The Gods version released on the first Hollywood Records issue of SHEER HEART ATTACK (missing one of the introduction Aaah! choirs) comes from an incorrect master. It is not a 'proper' mastering error, but an archive/labeling one. This was corrected in later editions of this release and fortunately it was never reproduced in any of the subsequent remasterings.

Wilki Amieva

Posted: 24 Jul 05, 20:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Proper' mastering errors can be found in the following tracks:
- It's Late: Has its first four seconds missing on the first issue of the HR release of NEWS OF THE WORLD, 1991. Corrected on further issues of this release and fortunately never repeated on any of the subsequent remasterings.
- Fat Bottomed Girls (single version): Has an audible click during the introduction. This error was commited during the DIGITAL MASTER SERIES remastering. Found on the GREATEST HITS release from that series. Also on the Let Me Live "The Hits", on QUEEN ROCKS and on the GH Interactive CD-ROM. Never corrected, but also fortunately never repeated on any of the subsequent remasterings.
- You Don't Fool Me (sexy club mix - remix by Jam & Spoon): Has its first seconds missing on the You Don't Fool Me - The Remixes UK single. This error is exclusive to this release, so it is likely that this is a transfer error.

boy of destiny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 25 Jul 05, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This topic really pisses me off! I have almost every Hollywood Records remaster (-HS, AKOM, TM) and because they're all flawed, I'll have to spend even more to replace them someday. The CDs shouldn't have been released with errors in the first place! Can we return them to HR? Probably not. HR knows they released a flawed product, so they should stand behind them and replace them with the corrected versions free of charge.

Posted: 25 Jul 05, 06:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki wrote:

Serry... wrote:

That it is incorrect. The I Want It All version added to the master on March 15th 1989 is the regular album version. The pre-March 15th version is the Hollywood Records master. I know as I have cassette copies of both masters from Abbey Road.

Write this to Adam, this quote is from his site, not mine.

By the way, are you sure that Fred sung on Roger's "I Cry For You"? I can't download the file from your site though I have this 7" version of the song I didn't notice Fred's voice there. Actually I just didn't heard it too close! :)

Posted: 25 Jul 05, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm I thought the click was on the album version of FBG...wasn't that the one used on Rocks? I'll have to check I guess...I know the album version is the one on Jazz...why would the single edit have the same problem as the album version?

Wilki Amieva

Posted: 25 Jul 05, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, GoinBack you are right indeed! It is the album version and NOT the single one. I messed up, sorry. Please correct: JAZZ instead of GREATEST HITS (including the Interactive CD-ROM). Thanks. By the way, it is not odd that they used the album version for the Let Me Live single?

Serry, I know you quoted Adam Unger, but he apparently misunderstood a statement by Justin Shirley-Smith.

Also please note that my site is not mantained anymore.

Posted: 25 Jul 05, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay! Sorry