Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Who likes Hot Space?

forum rss feed
Author

Mercuryworks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 757 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=571084

<blank>
Mrs Taylor 05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 389 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*puts hand up* I like it, it was one of the first queen albums i ever got and i dunno why a lot of people dislike it but each to their own I suppose.

Question authority." Teenage angst has paid off well.. Now I'm bored and old. Self appointed judges judge more than they have sold." - Serve The Servants, Nirvana
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Hot Space....

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i can't stand it.
i think that it's fair to say that most 'post Freddie's death, younger' fans like it
and that most of the 'growing up with queen during the 70s' fans put it well down the order - with some (myself included) even disliking it

my own reasoning: i grew up with queen. i feel i adapted with them Jazz and the Game were major departures for Queen from what i'd been used to...each new album - from SHA onwards was an evolution. However, HS and AKOM were a step too far - yeah sure you could still hear the RS and FM's vocals - but the sound (oh dear) all those syn-drums and plastic keyboard sounds...fucking awful. HS (on the non-funk tracks, if you take out the vocals and the RS) could easily be Europe, Bon Jovi or any other shit-awful 80s rock band of the time.
After these two abominations - Hs and AKOM - Miracle and Innuendo were such a relief to the ears. As i said at the beginning, my own reason is that I grew up with Queen and feel i adapted with them...but this was not about adapting - this album was Queen's equivalent of what Michael Jackson did to his face!!!
Hearing it back in '82 in real time, it was a voyage of discovery that left me wanting to find out that the world was FLAT after all!!! I think younger fans (in the main) are happier to listen to HS - because it's queen, and it's a voyage of discovery and generally they don't care whether their earth is flat or round - as long as there's something new to be discovered.

go deo na hÉireann
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great album. I view it as sort of transitional to what would become the perfect balance of synth and rock on the forthcoming albums.

"Staying Power" and "Back Chat" are infectiously funky, "Las Palabras De Amor" is simply beautiful. "Put Out The Fire" kicks ass. "Calling All Girls" is a perfect little pop song. "Life Is Real" has a simple, stark beauty that works well. "Under Pressure" is of course superb. The rest is a bit iffy but manages to work, save for Body Language which is simply awful. :)

Forever88 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Forever88
Royalty: 1465 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I LOVE HOT SPACE!!! It's really got some good party music on it!

Nonono, you don't understand, that is NOT why I have this gerbil!
gmhmagic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 171 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love it!
every song in it!

chauncey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think a lot of us, myself included, were sort of "narrow-minded" when it came to what we were expecting from Queen.
To be honest, I was too young when HS came out, but when I got around to collecting this album, I thought "What an odd album!"
I DO like Dancer, Action, Put out the fire, Life is Real, Cool Cat, and of course Under Pressure.

Are you ready to rock, are you ready to roll, okay let's do it! -F. Mercury
brENsKi

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*39* wrote:

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

i can't stand it.
i think that it's fair to say that most 'post Freddie's death, younger' fans like it
and that most of

No one's asking why it sucks. We only want to know if you like it.

1. where did I say it sucks? the question was whether i liked it - i said i didn't and gave a reason why!!!
2. 'WE' ??? - YOU didn't start this thread!!!
3. who the f*ck died and made you God?

go deo na hÉireann
brENsKi

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color = "blue">Night Lord wrote:
No need to get so titchy over how he put it :\

it's got nothing to do with 'how he put it'
he has not just misinterpreted what i said...he's actually said i said something i didn't

you'd speak up for yourself if someone misquoted you wouldn't you?

and it's 'tetchy', not 'titchy' ;-)

go deo na hÉireann
Roy Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

heyheyheyhey, it was the DNA...
Bort Flancrest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 40 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not too bad, some of the tracks are good, others not so good.
Although I love all the songs from the album live. When drummed on a proper drumkit, they go off.

QUEENROCKS_1991 user not visiting Queenzone.com
QUEENROCKS_1991
Bohemian: 260 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it I like all the songs
I love BACKCHAT

THE SHOW MUST GO ON
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

for some reason I like the 1991 Hollywood remix of BL better than the original, and CAG and UP really lift the tone of the album, SP live is much better

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
nibznik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 326 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 05, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sweden_man wrote:

i dont own the album yet, but i have heard under pressure, las palabras de amor, calling all girls, and back chat and theyre really good

as for the remainder, i like the 30 seconds i heard on walmart.com of the following:

dancer
action this day
put out the fire

I suggest you ask someone to give you the hotspace demos, wait until monday and I'll up them for you

"I am Jack The Pumpkin King!" - Jack The Pumpkin King
Benny Faye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 19 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 05, 01:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

i can't stand it.
and that most of the 'growing up with queen during the 70s' fans put it well down the order - with some (myself included) even disliking it

my own reasoning: i grew up with queen. i feel i adapted with them Jazz and the Game were major departures for Queen from what i'd been used to...each new album - from SHA onwards was an evolution. However, HS and AKOM were a step too far - yeah sure you could still hear the RS and FM's vocals - but the sound (oh dear) all those syn-drums and plastic keyboard sounds...fucking awful. HS (on the non-funk tracks, if you take out the vocals and the RS) could easily be Europe, Bon Jovi or any other shit-awful 80s rock band of the time.
After these two abominations - Hs and AKOM - Miracle and Innuendo were such a relief to the ears. As i said at the beginning, my own reason is that I grew up with Queen and feel i adapted with them...but this was not about adapting - this album was Queen's equivalent of what Michael Jackson did to his face!!!
Hearing it back in '82 in real time, it was a voyage of discovery that left me wanting to find out that the world was FLAT after all!!! I think younger fans (in the main) are happier to listen to HS - because it's queen, and it's a voyage of discovery and generally they don't care whether their earth is flat or round - as long as there's something new to be discovered.

Meh. Side 2 wasn't that much of a departure (sans Cool Cat). It was mainly side 1 that had the freaky stuff. What about the guitar solos? Those sounded nifty.
And Miracle? I don't know. It always makes me think Hot Space part 2, with the exception of "Was It All Worth It" and "Chinese Torture."

Benny Faye because it sounds like Brian May.
MercurieQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 05, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like it. I'm all for experimentation and progresiveness. That's part of what Queen were, after all!

...that and i'm madly in love with the song dancer. haha!...

*~You were made for me, you're my ecstacy~*
Moustache user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 05, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like 'Hot Space'. One of the reasons I like Queen is that they incorporate a lot of 'music styles'. They wrote 'traditional rock'n roll stuff', 'honky tonky stuff', 'balads', 'funky stuff',... and lots more!!!!

that's what I like and the 'hot space' is just an exploration of the band to a new style... and I like the result!!!

The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 05, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

7Innuendo7 wrote:

for some reason I like the 1991 Hollywood remix of BL better than the original, and CAG and UP really lift the tone of the album, SP live is much better

I just dont like that 91 remix of BL at all.......the incessant percussion just kinda ruins it for me.....

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye
The King Of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2259 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 05, 04:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

overall, I think its a darn good album....maybe I would call it Queen's worst, or my least favorite Queen album, but I still like it.....any album with four songs like UP, LIR, POTF, and LPDA has to be classified as good....the only song I really dont like on it is Cool Cat....I've always thought that Action This Day is an excellent song! but I could do without that sax solo thing in the middle (they did do a much better job of it live)

I'll take you to the Seven Seas of Rhye