Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Tokyo May 1st 1975 complete video exists?

forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jul 05, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is aimed especially at collectors and Queen concert enthusiasts:

I can't believe one of us hadn't figured this out yet until now, but I've discovered that the three tracks broadcast on Japanese TV all those years ago are from the May 1st show, and not the April 19th show in Tokyo as we always thought. After listening the audio bootleg of the April 19th show, I noticed the piano intro to In The Lap Of The Gods..Revisited was totally different to the one on the video, so after a quick survey of early Japanese recordings, lo and behold I found it was the May 1st show all along.

At the picnic on the video, the band talk about enjoying their first concert in Japan, which clearly led us to think that all the footage was on and around this date, so we just never bothered to confirm the date of the concert footage itself. But I can now be 100% sure it is not from April 19th, but May 1st.

So, what does this mean? First, it means that the complete video (or at least, more footage) of the amazing May 1st show may indeed be rotting away in the archive of a TV station in Japan. But secondly, this sadly means there is probably no footage of Queen's first concert in Japan.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
riku_queencdr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 05, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, the complete May 1st show was recorded by a Japanese TV station. This has been confirmed to me by a very reliable Japanese collector few years ago.
Will it ever be released, that's another question..

Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 05, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greg Brooks also mentioned that the show of te 1st of May is filmed and broadcasted on Japanese Television. He also claims that the show of 19th April also is filmed.

So both shows are filmed says our dear friend Mr. brooks is his book.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roy ® wrote:

Greg Brooks also mentioned that the show of te 1st of May is filmed and broadcasted on Japanese Television. He also claims that the show of 19th April also is filmed.

I'll bet my entire collection that Greg Brooks says the April 19th show was filmed only because of seeing these three songs, and assuming they were from this show. I can be pretty sure this concert wasn't filmed. We have never heard anything about any footage from Japan 75 other than these three songs, which are now confirmed to be from May 1.

Roy: Just because Greg Brooks says it doesn't mean it's true! He has said literally hundreds of things that are completely untrue, and tonnes of them are still uncorrected in his new book.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh no, not you again, "sir" please no.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

oh no, not you again, "sir" please no.

What's your problem with me, may I ask?

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I'll bet my entire collection that Greg Brooks says the April 19th show was filmed only because of seeing these three songs, and assuming they were from this show. I can be pretty sure this concert wasn't filmed. We have never heard anything about any footage from Japan 75 other than these three songs, which are now confirmed to be from May 1."

Bob, if Greg thinks April was filmed because he saw 3 songs, what makes you think May 1 was filmed completely, also because of 3 songs right?

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

mike hunt wrote:

oh no, not you again, &quot;sir&quot; please no.

What's your problem with me, may I ask?

Don't worry about him, mike hunt is perhaps the most eloquent poster on this board and has a permanent stick shoved way up his ass regarding anything anyone says. But he certainly does contribute a lot, doesn't he? God forbid anyone have a differing opinion to his...

Shadysenator RHYE user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 179 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hello you all:

Why well the video footage , the 3 tracks: NOW I'M HERE, KILLER Q and IN THE LAP OF, arefrom may 1st , and NOT from april 19th.!!!!!

Don't believe me :

Here's the prove:
After the Now I'm here's and there's , the intro, Freddie screams "Come on Let's Go"or "Come on Tokyo!" When you get your bootlegs out of the closet like Great king Hangman (april 19th.) Freddie Does NOT scream these words. When you listnen to the 01/05 bootleg eg. "First live attack 2cd (gypse eye label) Freddie does the scream.

So the footage is surely from 01/05/75 and that show is completely recorded. But I can;t confirm that the april 19th. show was too. Most likely it was NOT, why should a television broadcasting station record 2 shows in one tour???? I don't think it's logical !!

Cheers......

Sikke van der Veen

hi kya

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Then again:

Well the bootleg of Great King Hangman tokyo april 19th. does sound it was a soundboard recording, or even a audiosource from a video tape. In the late 90's I heart of a 1975 japan video tape was circulating, the running time was about 50 minutes. If that's correct, than it could possibly e the april 19th. gig , because the availble bootlegs also run for 50 minutes!!!

Damn , that I couldn't get a copy of that tape at the time... And I really hope I get the change to see this one. If you have a copy please contact me.

Cheers again....

Sikke van der Veen

hi kya
The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>

Bob, if Greg thinks April was filmed because he saw 3 songs, what makes you think May 1 was filmed completely, also because of 3 songs right?

I never said I thought it was filmed completely. I'm just open to the possibility, and since there have been several rumours of a 5-1-75 complete video, it seems that much more possible now. :)

Lester Burnham wrote:

Don't worry about him, mike hunt is perhaps the most eloquent poster on this board and has a permanent stick shoved way up his ass regarding anything anyone says. But he certainly does contribute a lot, doesn't he? God forbid anyone have a differing opinion to his...

Yeah, I've learned to take this guy with a pinch of salt, but I'm still kind of interested in what's motivating this personal vendetta of his.

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>Bob, if Greg thinks April was filmed because he saw 3 songs, what makes you think May 1 was filmed completely, also because of 3 songs right?

Well The MAy 1st is completely recorded , please believe me. And would it make sense if someone records the first song, a song in the middle, and a song before the encores at the end of the show?

It's not logical... Then it would be as rotterdam or lieden 86 just the first track that'sit !! "Allright guys thanks for your money now pack your camera's and get the hell out of here..."

Cheers... I agree with Sir...

hi kya

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I've learned to take this guy with a pinch of salt, but I'm still kind of interested in what's motivating this personal vendetta of his.

S'best not to wonder. Just let him go on having his various coronaries over intelligent discussion as he continues to contribute nothing of worth to this board.

Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roy ® wrote:

I'll bet my entire collection that Greg Brooks says the April 19th show was filmed only because of seeing these three songs, and assuming they were from this show. I can be pretty sure this concert wasn't filmed. We have never heard anything about any footage from Japan 75 other than these three songs, which are now confirmed to be from May 1.

Roy: Just because Greg Brooks says it doesn't mean it's true! He has said literally hundreds of things that are completely untrue, and tonnes of them are still uncorrected in his new book.

I never says Greg is rigth, I only say he mentions it in his book.

and Bob, if Greg Brooks is rigth, I will send you my adress and then you could send your collection to me :)

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it sure about the leiden gig from '86,that only the first song was filmed:that's really stupid!!!you dutch are so greedy:-) In his book greg also mention the first show from The works tour in brussels as being filmed.Is it possible that this is filmed in its entirety or only snippets for the hammer to fall-clip.In that clip you can see hands clap radio gaga-wise which made me wonder.I'm always hoping there is more footage than we think!

on my way up
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well The MAy 1st is completely recorded , please believe me. And would it make sense if someone records the first song, a song in the middle, and a song before the encores at the end of the show?

It's not logical... Then it would be as rotterdam or lieden 86 just the first track that'sit !! "Allright guys thanks for your money now pack your camera's and get the hell out of here..."

It would be logical for a 'starting band' to film the best known songs, the hits. And the first 3 songs weren't well known. Except Now I'm Here. On the current tour they also didn't film Reaching Out/Tie your mother down. on TV reports i've seen Fat Bottomed girls, Breakfree, Radio Ga Ga, WWRY/Champions.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:

Is it sure about the leiden gig from '86,that only the first song was filmed:that's really stupid!!! you dutch are so greedy:-)

No it's not like that at all... if you're a TV station and you want to do a short report on the band, all you need to film is one song. We should be lucky that they even showed the entire song... usually they will only show about 10 or 15 seconds.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 02:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

look at this, the great "lester" (Mr. Important) and "sir" (i think james labrie is great) are teaming up against little ol mike hunt, how dare you, peasents. oh, your right, these boards would fall apart without "the great "lester," don't worry "sir" your great to, your importance is endless, keep up the good work, queen can never survive without fans like you.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike- go and play on the busy crosroads. First you created a thread about me because I said sth you didn't like (How did I dare?!), than you attack others in some thread that had nothing to do with you and is an interesting read... The fact that you're 13 (or 5 judging the intellect) doesn't mean you can spam this board... Lester and Bob are contributing to this board and are really one of the Last Mohicans. At least they are talking about THE BAND and THE MUSIC. What the hell are YOU talking about? People like you make this board unpleasant and childish... So I'm politely asking you- go and fuck yourself, PLEASE...
PS
Bob- do you ever check you mail box? ;)

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

look at this, the great "lester" (Mr. Important) and "sir" (i think james labrie is great) are teaming up against little ol mike hunt, how dare you, peasents. oh, your right, these boards would fall apart without "the great "lester," don't worry "sir" your great to, your importance is endless, keep up the good work, queen can never survive without fans like you.

Isn't he cute when he gets mad? Poor little sausage.