Forums > Personal > Greek Mythology

forum rss feed
Author

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've recently taken a liking to reading about Greek Mythology. I'm not sure why this interest didn't come up when I took a Greek Mythology course at my university but it's here now. Better late than never I guess.

Who else has an interest in this? Zeni and Bob, I know you two are history buffs. Are either of you or any other poster an expert in Greek mythology? If so, let me know what books you suggest reading.

Thankies!

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Gecko user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 227 posts

Posted: 01 Aug 05, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i know you asked those others for advice, and i hope you dont mind me givng you my 2 cents, cause i am totally facinated with greek mythology.
for me, when i got involved as a young kid, i just went and read every story at the library that delt with my favorite Gods , titans..whatever
(mine was medusa)and found out that like alot of stories, everyone one was somewhat diffrent, they ended the same, but alot of "legends and facts" in the stories were diffrent and it was like reading diffrent stories...but yet the same.
than i got into astronomy, so i could "see" these stories "acted out and retold" in the night sky.
than came the movies and blah blah blah blah......
anywho, this is a great field to be in , and a great topic to always be had, these are the stories of the Gods, the stories forever told in the night sky for all to see, and to never forget.

i am the topic stopper
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If they're dead, I'm likely to be interested in them.

There are, as you probably know, hundreds of Greek myths. I'd recommend reading some of the epic poems (Illiad, Odyssey, AEneid) for some good stories. You can find these in translated form (ooooh, poetry) or sometimes in more novel-esque forms. Either way, they're enjoyable and worth a read.

Beyond that, I was always partial to Theseus.

DJ's the man we love the most
djaef user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 887 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm reading my kids (4 and 3) a kids version of Greek myths. They love them. Medusa spins them out :)

djaef - Queen fan since 1678, after the Dorog concert!
Mr Drowse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 791 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When i was young I read two books over and over again. Greek mythology and Roman mythology. I just loved them. I still remember a lot of it. Actually it would be a good idea, to read 'em again...

Feed the Phoenix :)
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mythology is not my thing really - I have read Herodotus's 'The Histories' though.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
Gecko user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 227 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 06:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its funny, i stated in my last post that medusa was my favorite "titan", well, favorite over all, well, i always wondered if the story was diffrent, and insted of her being so ugly that she would turn you to stone, what if she was so beautiful that her gaze would "get you stoned"

i think then that would have made that story even better cause i think she would have been more feared for her beauty than feared cause she was so ugly.

either way, just something to think about...oh, btw, i had 3 red bellied piranha and named them after the 3 gorgons in greek mythology

i am the topic stopper
Lisser

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cool!! Thanks to everyone! Now tell me this...what's the main difference between Roman mythology and Greek mythology? Is there any?

Thomas that is way cool that you've had that much exposure to this at school. I got the bare minimum at best. I'd love to pick your brain please!!!!

:)

NJ!!!

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went to Greece on a college trip.. We did study mythology, but I found the history and art portions of the course more interesting.

Lisser

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

UH!! NOT FAIR!!! You've been to Greece????? I hate you!!!!! got any pics? I would love to go there!!!

Thanks for babysitting last night!

NJ!!!

Erin

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisser wrote:

UH!! NOT FAIR!!! You've been to Greece????? I hate you!!!!! got any pics? I would love to go there!!!

Thanks for babysitting last night!

*LOL* No problem..I love kids! ;-)

Yeah..I've got some piccies. It was an amazing trip..:-) I hope I get to go back someday.

Mr Drowse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 791 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisser wrote:

Cool!! Thanks to everyone! Now tell me this...what's the main difference between Roman mythology and Greek mythology? Is there any?

Well, I'd say the main difference is that Greek mythology deals with Greek Gods whereas Roman mythology deals with Roman Gods. Different countries, different Gods, different stories.

Feed the Phoenix :)
Erin

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Drowse wrote:

Well, I'd say the main difference is that Greek mythology deals with Greek Gods whereas Roman mythology deals with Roman Gods. Different countries, different Gods, different stories.

I always thought the stories/Gods were pretty much the same and that it was only the names that differed..i.e..Zeus, Jupiter..same God..different name.

Lisser

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

Mr Drowse wrote:

I always thought the stories/Gods were pretty much the same and that it was only the names that differed..i.e..Zeus, Jupiter..same God..different name.

Thats what I was finding out last night too Erin when I was reading online. This one site I saw listed all the Gods and their Greek and Roman names.

NJ!!!

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to read a bunch of mythology this summer for my honors English class. I've only read ten pages so far (heh, I know..gotta get cracking on that) but it's Edith Hamilton's Mythology book. The school actually gave me another book, but it's giant! It's bigger than a few Bibles that I know of and yet it was missing some of the sections I am supposed to read so that's why my mum bought me that one. But, I'm only at the part where the gods are being described. hehe

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
Lisser

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks!! I'll check that book out too!

NJ!!!

KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here it is on overstock :-)

I think it has Greek, Roman, and Norse myths...or atleast that's what the back of my book says :-P

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=763824

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
LittleBabyNothing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

right......well, there's this really great website out there, about all sorts of mythologies

www.pantheon.org

enjoy!

as for the difference between roman and greek mythology, quite often the greek gods weren't exactly equivalent to the roman ones... they ARE similar, i'll admit, but the greeks more or less took their mythology from the babylonians, while the romans added more stuff (they did need alot more gods of war than the greeks :P)... also, the romans "imported" gods from overseas (osiris, for example), whereas the greeks actually stuck to their original pantheon of gods and didn't change them quite as often as the romans did... there's actually also more "proper" roman gods than greek ones...

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aires was my favorite, god of war, dyinois(spelling) god of wine.
I'm a huge history bluff for sure, Greek-Roman-Persian and Asian history I read a lot about.
If you watch some of the newer movies, like Alexander or Troy you will see a lot of mentions about Greek gods.

MY GOD spell it write.
Lisser

Posted: 02 Aug 05, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LittleBabyNothing wrote:

right......well, there's this really great website out there, about all sorts of mythologies

www.pantheon.org

enjoy!

as for the difference between roman and greek mythology, quite often the greek gods weren't exactly equivalent to the roman ones... they ARE similar, i'll admit, but the greeks more or less took their mythology from the babylonians, while the romans added more stuff (they did need alot more gods of war than the greeks :P)... also, the romans "imported" gods from overseas (osiris, for example), whereas the greeks actually stuck to their original pantheon of gods and didn't change them quite as often as the romans did... there's actually also more "proper" roman gods than greek ones...

There she is!! My little archaeologist!!!! I knew you'd come out of hiding for some digging!!!! You big bitch! I miss ya!!!

;)

NJ!!!