Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie's microphone

forum rss feed
Author

tia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Aug 05, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's cut off microphone was a big part of his performance.It enabled him to have more freedom of the stage and was like a prop for him. I cant believe no one else uses this technique. You see other rock singers with the microphone on the stand running around on stage and it looks so awkward compared to Freddie. Does any other singer have a microphone like this?

just turn yourself into anything you think that you could ever be
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 05, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie didn't use this technique neither untill his mic stand broke away from its base on one of Wreckage's gigs. It's a part of his image, his trademark. If someone would repeat it - people would call him as a Freddie Mercury clone... :)

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 05, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...Robbie Williams uses a cut off mic, as a "tribute" (notice I use the word "tribute", not ''cheap copy'', or ''poor man's Freddie'', just ''tribute'').

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 05, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tia wrote:

Does any other singer have a microphone like this?

Axl Rose used to use a variation of it at times..

http://www.kiltmen.com/celeb-axl-rose-gunsnroses.JPG

Mr Drowse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 791 posts

dixie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 174 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 05, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

all you need is a boom mic stand and take the boom bit off and voila a freddie mercury mic stand

NO MORTAL MAN CAN WIN THIS DAY
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 05, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Im sure King diamond used the same as Freddie, 1st he copied Kiss makeup and copied Freddie's microphone stand as well.

MY GOD spell it write.
newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 05, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

exactly! its a boom mic' the extended part of the stand its not 'cut off' just a few simple screws and there you go..............

martinjkstones
butambul user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Joey Belladonna of NY Hardcore band Anthrax use that half cut mic stand..It worked for him and no..Joey never copied Freddie's stage antics..Joey bang his head alot...

Jaws was never my scene & I don't like Star Wars
We Are The Champions user not visiting Queenzone.com
We Are The Champions
Bohemian: 879 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

newcastle 86! wrote:

exactly! its a boom mic' the extended part of the stand its not 'cut off' just a few simple screws and there you go..............

That's right....simply the adjustable part of a boom mic stand. Anyone can use this technique so any "Freddie" clones is misguided. I've used one myself many times and can be used for a variety of things...very useful if you're a keyboard player as it can be extended over your gear with the base standing behind the keyboard. Freddie uses one when he plays at the piano and a boom stand can clearly be seen on Bo Rhap at Live Aid. So there's nothing special about this mic at all...it's only become a Freddie trademark over the years.

We all of us deeply apologise for this god forsaken shit heap of a building...but we will make it rock.

Brian May Wembley Pavilion 11.05.05.
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pussy_control wrote:

Anthrax did record a few Queen songs though on a tribute album or two.

Klaus Meine of the Scorpions uses half a microphone stand sometimes, and is a fan of Queen but he did it before Freddie :O

Hmmm, I could swear Queen was around before the scorpions....and Freddie was doing that half stand thing since 72.

MY GOD spell it write.
MercuryArts user not visiting Queenzone.com
MercuryArts
Bohemian: 839 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone remember the first Poison video, Talk Dirty To Me? The singer, is it Bret? Was using a half mic stand in the video. I remember thinking what a copy-cat! No one can use a half mic stand & not be compared to Freddie.

"Take care of those you call your own"
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wstüssyb wrote:

Hmmm, I could swear Queen was around before the scorpions....and Freddie was doing that half stand thing since 72.

Since 1969

slowhand59 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 11, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

no idea where the original broken one landed up...'may well have ended up in the bin. however, the replacement was custom-made by my dad, a prototype engineer, who had routinely produced parts for touring concert rigs...sound and lighting etc. narrower guage than standard mic stands, stainless steel, very light and properly finished for the task...and far less hazardous than its "predecessor". it wasn't a real mic stand, of course...it was a performance "prop" designed specifically to meet Freddie's unique requirements.

hope this was of interest.

DH

Posted: 04 Sep 11, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh, f'got t'say...I still have the original/prototype produced for Freddie's perusal and trial...coincidentally, I'm currently trying to identify photographs of this prototype in performance prior to its return to be used as a pattern/template for the replacement modified/enhanced to Freddie's specific requests.

pip pip

DH

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 05:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pussy_control wrote: Klaus Meine of the Scorpions uses half a microphone stand sometimes, and is a fan of Queen but he did it before Freddie :O
===========

When did he start using the loose boom? He started his professional career in 1965, but I'm not aware of him using a mic-and-boom combination until much, much later.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Posted: 05 Sep 11, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there is a clip of the band from Top of the Pops in 1974...it's been suggested that this was one of the first appearances of Freddie's new "style" including the "stub" mic holder/stand.

DH

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2803 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

slowhand59 wrote: oh, f'got t'say...I still have the original/prototype produced for Freddie's perusal and trial...coincidentally, I'm currently trying to identify photographs of this prototype in performance prior to its return to be used as a pattern/template for the replacement modified/enhanced to Freddie's specific requests.

pip pip

DH

Very informative. Feel free to post photos of the prototype. Maybe you'll bag a 50 year old Queen Uber-fan.

"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 11, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

slowhand59 wrote: there is a clip of the band from Top of the Pops in 1974...it's been suggested that this was one of the first appearances of Freddie's new "style" including the "stub" mic holder/stand.

DH
====

I was referring to Klaus Meine, actually...

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Cimitoch user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 12, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote