Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Fairy Fellas Master Stroke

forum rss feed
Author

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 04:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does naybody KNow what this song is about because i dont just think its about some mystical creatures having a gathering. It feels to me there is something sexual about it. 'see'r peers under ladies gown' and 'fairy danddy tickling the fancy of his lady friend'
what do u guys think


Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
gnomo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 743 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that should be FELLER'S

In short, the song describes a painting by one Richard Dadd - for more information you might start from here:

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=410135

and here:

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=467587

HTH



--

Gnomo

(... any way the wind blows ...)
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.pemcom.demon.co.uk/queen/queen2/ffms.jpg

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

not sounding patronizing fella. but, if you actually own this track (as opposed to those who just download/steal things) - then the only way to own it is to have the Queen II album (it's not available anywhere else). So if you own this album - the lyrics clearly state underneath 'inspired by a painting by richard Dadd'. not exactly the work of Lt. Columbo now is it?

also, a lot of people on qz (in the past) have said what a wonderful painting it is. i used to think it was good, but to be honest, each time i look at it, all i can think is how disturbing it looks. it has no clear focal point - a must for all paintings/photos. what should be the focal point (the fairy feller) is partially obscured by long whisps of grass. also the meticulous attention to the unimportant parts of the picture show just how obsessive the artists was. the painting is just one huge mass of excessive bizarre detail - almost to the extent of obsessive compulsives who have to have everthing laid out in a set pattern.

we all know he was mad and killed his father. Mad/Disturbed people often create things of beauty - his other paintings looked oddly nice, whereas this one looks just odd! - in a derranged kinda way!


go deo na h√Čireann
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

also, a lot of people on qz (in the past) have said what a wonderful painting it is. i used to think it was good, but to be honest, each time i look at it, all i can think is how disturbing it looks. it has no clear focal point -


Kinda like a "Where's Waldo?" book..;-)


@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

not sounding patronizing fella. but, if you actually own this track (as opposed to those who just download/steal things) - then the only way to own it is to have the Queen II album (it's not available anywhere else). So if you own this album - the lyrics clearly state underneath 'inspired by a painting by richard Dadd'. not exactly the work of Lt. Columbo now is it?



I own this album, and i bought it on CD, it DOES NOT state that the track was inspired by the painting of Richard Dadd. In fact, the booklet does not contain any lyrics at all, just pictures of the band, maybe Liam own's this version? (The album i own is an official, not a copy :P)


Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=black>andylamb_38 wrote:

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

not sounding patronizing fella. but, if you actually own this track (as opposed to those who just download/steal things) - then the only way to own it is to have the Queen II album (it's not available anywhere else). So if you own this album - the lyrics clearly state underneath 'inspired by a painting by richard Dadd'. not exactly the work of Lt. Columbo now is it?



I own this album, and i bought it on CD, it DOES NOT state that the track was inspired by the painting of Richard Dadd. In fact, the booklet does not conatin any lyrics at all, just pictures of the band, maybe Liam own's this version? (The album i own is an official, not a copy :P)


Hollywood Record's CD contains this line.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, but to be fair the first EMI version does not. And neither did the cassette.

Having said that, I still think it's more likely that this person downloaded it than has a ten year old CD...

groover user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 22:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For my birthday on July 28th, my wife framed my print of said painting (ordered from the Tate Gallery). It is now proudly hanging in my living room.

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 05:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeh mine contains lyrics but doesnt say hat it was inspried by that painting.


Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ironically, I'd expect anything with the lyrics to include the line.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Aug 05, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some more about the painting:
http://www.pemcom.demon.co.uk/queen/queen2/ffms.html

Mrs. Snugglebunny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Aug 05, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My cd was bougth in very early January 1998 and my version doesn´t have the painting mentioned in it. And I have seen the vinyl version of the record and id I remember rigth, there´s nothing mentioned there either.