Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie's lack of interview during 1989-1991

forum rss feed
Author

PainPleasure user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Aug 05, 20:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having Aids, might be the answer, but it seems that by avoiding them, he fueled the machine that creates rumour...Freddie was very interesting in interviews, so it's kinda sad he didn't tried to act as everything was fine...

dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, but he hated doing interviews anyway, I thought. Wouldn't you hate them even more if you knew tricky questions about AIDS, more tours (which you knew would never happen) etc. were inevitable?

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 06:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

plus they had difficulty covering him up with makeup for B&W videos (IGSM) and doing out of focus stuff to mask his obvious visible ill-health - the Sarcomas were facially visible as far back as 1988 - Montserrat had said as much ' she wondered what they were'

there's no way he'd sit down face-to-face with some journo who would no doubt turn the whole thing into a 'observation piece' about his health rather than a genuine interview

go deo na h√Čireann
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 05, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a CD out there containing the great interview with all of them from '89 - Mike Reid, Radio One I think. It's uncut and there are some great and interesting passages. And with the benefit of hindsight, the part following Reids question "Are you going to tour ?" has almost a sort of tragic feel to it. Freddie is trying to explain why he doesn't want to tour, Bri and John say nothing and Rog is almost begging that someday they will go on the road again. I can imagine that after that Freddie wasn't to keen on explaining it over and over again. And the sarcomas of course stopped him from appearing in the public as well.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 05, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The very last thing he'd need is some guy sitting in front of him, obviously wondering why Fred is getting so thin and why he's wearing makeup (or inversely, what the scars are). It would've just been unnecessary.

As the boys were so fond of saying, they spoke with their music. There is no Last Interview where Fred pours his heart and and talks about his AIDS. That lies in his music. And it's not a literal thing, it's more a feeling. All of it is much easier to understand when you stop thinking 'what does this mean?' and just listen to the songs.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
queenlegends user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 05, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also noticed this on the 2nd greatest hits dvd disc, where on the magic interiews freddie is nowere to be seen.

Love Kills, drills you through you're Heart, Love Kills, Tears you right apart..

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queenlegends wrote:

I also noticed this on the 2nd greatest hits dvd disc, where on the magic interiews freddie is nowere to be seen.

False. On numerous times Freddie is interviewed.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 02:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That 1989 Mike Read interview is probably my all-time favorite Queen interview. They're all there, all in good spirits.. making witty comments.. just a great interview.

You can still find the "Queen Collection" set in which it was included on Ebay or from an Amazon seller, places like that. Queen won't get any royalties of course, since it's out of print. It also includes the version of 'Thank God It's Christmas' with a proper intro.

Hey, I've got an idea! Let's try to sell some more copies of 'The Miracle' album! Here's that out of print promotional interview for radio now:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4378279/Queen_1989_Mike_Read_Interview.mp3.html

The whole thing in less than 19 MB! Cool. Queen will be pleased that this promotional material is still being heard and potentially gaining sales for the Miracle album.

RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Jeffrey for that.

I remember coming back from a local carnival early to get this interview.

I have had the copy on casette for years, but haven't played it for ages, also as I didn't want to bugger it up.

Keep Good Company

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ravenetta wrote:

did anyone notice that when theyre shooting for "i want it all" that someone asks freddie a couple times if hes ok? its the scence where theyre about to shoot the beggining clip.

Yeah and they were saying: "when you're happy".

_Amie_ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow thanks for that interview:) its really interesting!!

Amie xx
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeffrey Todd wrote:

That 1989 Mike Read interview is probably my all-time favorite Queen interview. They're all there, all in good spirits.. making witty comments.. just a great interview.

You can still find the "Queen Collection" set in which it was included on Ebay or from an Amazon seller, places like that. Queen won't get any royalties of course, since it's out of print. It also includes the version of 'Thank God It's Christmas' with a proper intro.

Hey, I've got an idea! Let's try to sell some more copies of 'The Miracle' album! Here's that out of print promotional interview for radio now:

The whole thing in less than 19 MB! Cool. Queen will be pleased that this promotional material is still being heard and potentially gaining sales for the Miracle album.

Thank you, I love you right now. I said I'll never get married (and definitely not to another male) but right now I'm seriously considering proposing to you. I've been looking for this interview for a while now, a transcript would've even quenched my thirst then you go and post the mp3. Man, you rock.

L.Cooper user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He was dying for God's sake!

Elijah Griffith 11/10/2002-1/18/2005..In the arms of Angels, fly away.........
RohemianBapsody user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 560 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen generally hated the press due to the lack of respect and the crap they wrote.

Why take part in interviews when there is a much better way to use your last remaining time?

Keep Good Company
s.m. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 291 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thx jeffery
this is great stuff
i´ve never heard it before
what do you say about when freddie says there are about 30 tracks to chose from
i know about hijack my heart, or my life has been saved are from that period, but what about other 15??

She was my lover

It was a shame that she died

But the constitution´s right on my side

Cos I cought my lover in my neighbours bed

I got retribution, filled´em full of lead
Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeffrey Todd wrote:

My kudos are yours, Jeff.
This wouldn't happen to be the same thing that's on Queen Talks, would it?

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
LIZAWITHAZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

During this time period, Freddie was extremely ill with many side effects from the early drugs, as per Peter Freestone's book, he was mostly at home since he was unable to work many times during both The Miracle and Innuendo albums. During the Miracle he was already tired and feeling worn out. As many of his inner circle already knew how sick he was and even some of his good friends were either dying or already dead but I will not go into that, it has already been played like a broken record. David Wigg was invited to conduct a last interview with Freddie and I believe the full interview exists somewhere maybe on the Solo Collection as I am unsure I cannot truthfully say yes or no.

Brian May and Roger Taylor at this time (and as always) did conduct the bulk of the interviews for The Miracle as Innuendo albums. As John Deacon started at that time (at least that was the impression one had) removing himself from public views and media.

Cheers,
David

HELLO DARLINGS!
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 09:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for all the thanks :)

Suigi, the bonus CD this comes from is called 'Queen Talks', yes. But it's totally different than the 'Queen Talks' b-side track which is just a short collection of snippets from different interviews.

pcgenius9 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 937 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

did anybody notice that in the budapest vhs freddie says: "Interview? Oh don't be rediculous" and walked off.

Dislocate your spine...
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 23:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

barn wrote:

LIZAWITHAZ wrote:

During this time period, Freddie was extremely ill with many side effects from the early drugs, as per Peter Freestone's book, he was mostly at home since he was unable to work many times during both The Miracle and Innuendo albums. During the Miracle he was already tired and feeling worn out. As many of his inner circle already knew how sick he was and even some of his good friends were either dying or already dead but I will not go into that, it has already been played like a broken record. David Wigg was invited to conduct a last interview with Freddie and I believe the full interview exists somewhere maybe on the Solo Collection as I am unsure I cannot truthfully say yes or no.

Brian May and Roger Taylor at this time (and as always) did conduct the bulk of the interviews for The Miracle as Innuendo albums. As John Deacon started at that time (at least that was the impression one had) removing himself from public views and media.

Cheers,
David

No, there was a mistake on an interview David Wigg made in the mid-80s, and Freddie stopped making newspaper interviews for good (it says so in the damn Freestone book)... and David Wigg worked for a newspaper. And Freddie never did an interview with him again.

If it's the interview I'm thinking of where he talks about AIDS, I noticed that someone else mistook that as a "final interview" on another message board. I believe it was taken in 1987 on Freddie's birthday. He doesn't speak as a man with AODS, but as an observer of how AIDS was effecting lives on that interview, I believe thats the interview on the solo set (I dont actually own the set, combination of being broke and not listening to cd's anymore). Freddie goes on about dying (I think when asked something about being 70, withoutr hesitation he says he would be dead then goes on and explains himself after the interviewer asks what he meant and says it would be boring to be 70.) I could see how someone not listening or reading the transcript closely can misinterpret it.