Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > AN Innuendo from "INNUENDO"?

forum rss feed
Author

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, why was the art work from Grandville used? I have a theory that some may think is insane but here it goes:

I think the key is in the dates 1803-1847. Grandville was 44 when he died, Freddie was 44 when Inuuendo was released. I don't think he thought he would make it to see his 45th birthday (he did and lived another 2 months) so I think the significance of putting Grandvilles birth and death year and using the artwork was an intentional nod to the albums name (when other people are credited on albums even if it's known work do you see their birth and death years? think about it) naming the album Innuendo may have been the bands way of saying Freddie didn't have long left.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie lived another NINE months after the release of the album. so i think your theory is flawed. also, the Miracle was called so because 'it was a miracle it got finished'....i think innuendo was just a 'great title' to follow the lead track's release as a single...

think about it, most their recent albums (The Works & Hot Space aside) had a title track - you can go back to Jazz!

Innuendo, The Miracle, A Kind Of Magic, Flash, Play the Game, More of That Jazz.

go deo na h√Čireann
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 07:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger stumbled across Grandville's artwork and showed it to the band. They liked it, so they updated the artwork and used it as artwork for their album. No conspiracy theories.

dimcyril user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 280 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wasn't it called innuendo because there were many obscure references to freddie's illness in the lyrics?
that has always been the way i have interpreted it anyway. well since freddie died.

we've no ancestral halls, no haughty portraits on our walls, no family monuments at all, unless it's my cousin sheila's stupendous clevage.
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The album was titled Innuendo because the name Queen was subject to so much innuendo throughout the band's existance.

Benn
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dimcyril wrote:

wasn't it called innuendo because there were many obscure references to freddie's illness in the lyrics?
that has always been the way i have interpreted it anyway. well since freddie died.

I'm not getting at you...but isn't it funny how people do tend to only interpret these things in certain ways after the fact?

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
Freddie F user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 05, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie studied art, so I think he knew about Grandville's work. Jean-Ignace Grandville had a tragic destiny (lost his children, I think), died too young: another thing Freddie had in common with him was his birth sign (Virgo), but it can be only a coincidence.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 05, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

people are reading far too much into things
..hindsight is a wonderfully, distracting thing - when it's wide of the mark!!!

whatever next?

Roger wrote A Kind Of magic about his friendship with David Copperfield?
John's 'I Want To break free' was about him wanting to retire - back in 1984!!!

please people, give the conspiracy theories a rest

go deo na h√Čireann
RainMustFall2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 06 Aug 05, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have John Deacon in my basement and I want $1 million to let him live. You have 3 days.

Zoroaster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 05, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great King Rat died at 44, also of a sexually transmitted disease.

Zoroaster the Grand and Magnificent
spymyshadow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 261 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 05, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think granville's pictures best expressed the queer mixture of genres and sounds in innuendo. If you see the trumpets with claws,you can get an example of how differents aspects of reality were recollected and put together, as it happens in the songs. There's something disturbing, rich and chaotic in it, as you can feel in the tracks or even perceive in the videos (just take a look at I'm going slightly mad).
If I'm not mistaken it wasn't even Freddie to come out with the idea of Granville.

take heed that yonder dog! Look when he fawns he bites, and when he bites his venom teeth will rankle to death
Gecko user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 227 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 05, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i wonder what people would say if the cover of innuendo showed them walking in the crosswalk at abby road....one in white, one in black, one barefooted and one grave digger...hmmmmmmm

please, maybe if we play innuendo and listen closely, we can hear brian say "cranberry sauce"

i am the topic stopper
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 05, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not seeing anything to discredit the theory.. To pick on Brenski, I don't see how 9 months merit any disproof> Five years maybe but 9 months, that seems to be grasping at straws a little bit. It's just theory and I haven't seen anything in either way about it.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 07 Aug 05, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie knew when and how he was going to die when he was still known as Farrokh. That's why he changed his name to FredDIE instead of Freddie.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel