Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Show Must Go On!!!

forum rss feed
Author

Localboy80 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 268 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This happens to be my very favourite song from their truly exceptional catalogue of amazing songs. I was just very interested to see what all you guys and gals thought of this little number.

I can remember when I first heard the song. It was in the beginning of October, 1991 and I was in the kitchen playing with my wrestling figures (ah, so cute!). I was 11 years old and the radio was on. This song came on and grabbed my attention immediately. I could instantly tell it was Queen, even at such a young age, even though I had never heard the song before. The song of course turned out to be 'The Show Must Go On'. I cannot remember what came out first, whether it was the album, 'Innuendo', or the single 'The Show Must Go On' but I was only 11 and did not have enough pocket money for the album at the time (but did get it off Santa that Christmas luckily). I did however go out and buy 'The Show Must Go On'.

I sat in my bedroom and blasted it from the speakers. Even to this day, the song still sends a shiver up my spine.

I know Brian May wrote it but it is as if he got inside Freddie Mercury's head and wrote what Freddie was trying to say. The way Freddie tackles and makes that song his own is incredible! From start to finish the song is a masterpiece!

The lyrics are so fitting and emotional. The music is so haunting and powerful. As for Freddie's voice/vocals, well, I am hard pushed to see if there are any other Queen songs that have harder notes to hit, especially the way Freddie was at the time with his health. Especially when he sings, 'I can fly my friend' and 'I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, on with the show'.

My mind always runs away when I listen to the song and imagine what Freddie would have been like visually singing this song. I kind of imagine certain things, like Freddie falling to his knees when singing, 'I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, on with the show'. And then hoisting himself up with his mike stand, with all the power and mite he had left, singing, 'I've topped the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on...'.

This is one song I never tire of listening to. The lyrics, the music, the vocals and what it means to me, just makes it in my opinion the best song of all time. Whenever I am down, or need that extra push, I listen to 'The Show Must Go On' For example, I was listening to Queen on my mp3 player in the gym yesterday, on the random setting. I was struggling with the weight I was trying to lift and 'The Show Must Go On' came on and I managed to have that little extra in me to lift the weight. I find the song so inspiring.

Without trying to end on a solemn note, I want this song played at my funeral. The following link is a great write up of the song. I especially like what is said about the end part of the song, the repetition of 'Go on...'. By interpreting it in a way that Freddie wanted the band to go and on. So have that all you people who disagree with tour!!!

Here is the link :-

http://www.zyra.org.uk/queen2a.htm

So please, tell me what your opinions are of this little gem of a tune! Have a good one, people!!! :-)

"I'll Face It With A Grin, I'm Never Giving In. On With The Show... The Show Must Go On!!!"
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TSMGO was named as The Song Of Millenium in Russia.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's definitely MY favorite Queen song..:-)

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOW!!! I never knew that! Not a bad choice at all. Thanks for that, mate. So would you agree?

"I'll Face It With A Grin, I'm Never Giving In. On With The Show... The Show Must Go On!!!"
tia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree, its one of thier best songs ever. I dont like Elton John's version of it though.

just turn yourself into anything you think that you could ever be
@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm surprised it never reached the top ten in the UK, because i know lots of people who recognise that as a classic song.

It reached #2 in the US of A, am i correct?
If it did then i'm very glad to see the song be so popular in a very difficult territory.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=black>andylamb_38 wrote:

It reached #2 in the US of A, am i correct?
If it did then i'm very glad to see the song be so popular in a very difficult territory.

It was released as a double-A sided single with "Bohemian Rhapsody" in USA after Wayne's World premiere...

*3*Playful as a pussycat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 590 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that brought tears to my eyes, both your post and the interpretation...TSMGO is a dazzling song that captured my heart as soon as i bought the Innuendo album *listens*

Freddie Mercury is my sexi moon lobster

"Mis francais est la meme que before. C'est un peu crap"-Brian May

"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear!" -Freddie Mercury
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton John's versions of Elton John songs are rubbish too - save for Tiny Dancer....

Benn
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton John should've been shot for his *effort*.

It's interesting, I think the line "I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in..." is actually Freddie's input. I recall Brian saying that they already had lines written for that part, but that Freddie put it in himself. Interesting how they never really talked about his illness (in public or private) but that things like that would creep into the music.

An excellent song, and a joy to play on guitar.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton's TSMGO was great I thought. Elton should sing rock. Real rock. I think he has a really good voice nowadays.

TSMGO is second only to Bohemian Rhapsody IMO.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOW That was outstanding and mindblowing..
I love TSMGO its such a provocatively powerful song and at there best..I am gald to see this theard here.

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
KingRat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its my favourite song too. I agree with everything you are saying. Its one of those songs I can listen to anytime and I never get tired of it. Its absolutely brilliant!

NJQueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of the best, all my fav Queen songs tend to be opera/prog rock like Bo Rhap, White and Black Queen, but TSMGO is just so emotionally powerful and well written.

And I doubt Brian wrote it without at least some input from Freddie. The song sounds like exactly what he was thinking. I think they gave the whole group credit for the Innuendo songs for a reason.

"So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye? So you think you can love me and leave me to die?"

-Bohemian Rhapsody

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is great to see so many people replying to this with such admiration for a true work of art (the song, not my thread! Lol!)

When I am sad, I play it and think of Freddie taking no shit and singing his heart out giving it is all.

When I am happy, I play it as it just sums up a mood of complete rejoicing.

When I am angry, I play it to bring all tension out.

When I am down, I play it to lift my spirits.

When I need a pick-me-up, I listen to this psyche me up!

THE SHOW MUST GO ON... WHAT FREDDIE AND QUEEN WERE ALL ABOUT!!!

Sharron .G user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie & Brian wrote the first verse of lyrics together of TSMGO , Brian has said that 1,000 times.

Others have said that the music is Brian's, would some keyboard input from Deacon.... the lyrics are mainly Brian;s, but has Freddie input peppered throughout.

I agree.

Severeal parts of the song are very Freddie-like.

rockit22 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 120 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is one of the best songs I guess.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I totally agree! At the time i heard this song i wasn`t a Queen fan or new anything about them. The funny thing was that by 1991 i was a big fan of Freddie Mercury and his song "Barcelona". And i remember his performance at the Ibiza show in 1988, i was 10 years old and thought that he was different from other tenors (At that time i thought he was a tenor) because he wasn`t fat and he didn`t sang with that tenor voice. And the thing that i thought was really strange was people reaction to him. They just freaked out!!-And so do i!!
Due to that, i became a fan of that guy not realizing who he was.

It was just in 1991, when in Portugal the only thing that was been aired on radios was "Everything i do, i do it for you" by Brian Adams that suddenly i heard "The show must go on" and thought imediatly: "I have to buy this record. And who the f**k is singuing that".

It was only when he died that i realize that he was the same Freddie Mercury i allways loved to hear. And then i realize that this man has sanged my favourite songs ever!! The rest it`s history!!

Take care

Insomni@ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 340 posts

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Localboy80 wrote:

Whenever I am down, or need that extra push, I listen to 'The Show Must Go On'I find the song so inspiring.

So do I.
It's one of my favorites songs cause it give me strength whenever I need help with my problems :)

It's a long hard struggle

But you can always depend on me

And if you're ever in trouble

You know where I will be

Posted: 05 Aug 05, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am surprised the song has never been used in a film... or has it? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!