Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian ....loves it to much??!

forum rss feed
Author

merc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 27 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 05, 08:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone else get the feeling that Brian is really enjoying life in Queen at the moment and for the past few years, not just because he's up and touring again, but because he is pretty much the frontman of the band and gets most of the credit. Lets face it, with freddie around there was only one frontman, but now it seems like brian is keen to get as much of the spotlight as possible and become the new freddie of the band. Fair enough i suppose, he did write a hell of a lot of their good songs but i dunno, to me he seems like a bit of a tool these days. Did i read somewhere that he said Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't a pivotal point in their career as a band?!! Maybe i didnt, i swear i heard it somewhere, although i could be pulling that out of no-where. He seems to enjoy getting as much credit as possible, thats all im trying to say. Even when freddie was around he seemed like a tool. Remember folks...merely an opinion!

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 05, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brenski and me were near the banning from QZ for having such opinion, you know... Let's not start it all again - find topic 'queen and paul rodgers' in General forum, there's a lot of thoughts about it.

tia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 05, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he just really loves what he does. He is not ready to put Queen to bed. He knows how many fans are out there. I dont think he is glad to take over as the frontman, he always had good things to say about Freddie and missed him terribly.


just turn yourself into anything you think that you could ever be
merc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 27 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 05, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah good points barn and tia. Wasn't intending to stir people up. Was just interested to see what other people thought. I guess Brian was always a very vocal one, obviously especially when compared to john. just for the record i wasnt meaning to bag the whole queen and paul rodgers thing either. It does seem on here that people are very keen to latch on to anyone who even hints at saying a bad thing about it. Shall go and do a search for the brian topic now.

Sharron .G user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 219 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 05, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I always liked about Freddie was is that he let the music and his stage performance do the talking.

Freddie had a passive aggressive attitude that I read as "You wanna talk shit about me?? go for it....watch this... who puts on a live show like me??"

Freddie new he was an awesome front man.

The 3 others may have wrote great songs, and been great performers as well.... but for me, Freddie is the creative genius behind the band Queen.

Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 05, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hold on there! Let's not get carried away and keep beating that all too dead horse again, IMHO Brian May has every damn right to be proud as does Roger Taylor and John Deacon. They created Queen with the unreplaceable Freddie Mercury.

However, you can take offensive to his opinions (of which he has many! LOL) or his stealing the spotlight (again he's an entertainer, duh!) that is your choice, but Brian is a very unusual rock star no matter how you slice it, he actually cares what his fans and Queen fans think...how many rock stars give a sh*t what any of their fans think or respect thier opinions...not too many and another thing (geez I can't believe I'm saying this again) but he makes himself available to connect with them...pretty unusual and rare...BTW Thanks, Brian!


Kriz ;o)


Long Live Queen!!!
Good_Company50 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Aug 05, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said, Krizzy!!




We're only living in our dreams in Another World -- Brian May
antiden user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really think, that Brian is enjoying being "the main tool" in Queen nowadays. The more credits he gets - much more satisfied he gets! Guys, its so obvious!! Look, he is alreaday not that shy Brian that used to be in 71-91 period. He did change greatly within the past decade. I know a lot of fans who do not approve of his actions, comments or opinions at present. Sometimes he says really strange things, that contradict to what we used to know... Especially the fact, that Freddie was a fan of Paul Rodgers... What a bullshit! Nobody knew it untill 2004. Everything is done for commercial purposes mainly...
And his comments concerning Bo Rha was not such a big deal for them... Are we so stupid?


Queen rarities for sale: http://www.discogs.com/seller/antiden
antiden user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any thoughts from somebody else?


Queen rarities for sale: http://www.discogs.com/seller/antiden
tupincs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't really understand your post, Antiden. First I thought you are a supporter of Brian coming to the spotlight. Then everything just commercial in your opinion.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

antiden wrote:

Any thoughts from somebody else?


This has been discussed already, but here it goes:

1) Paul Rodgers- Brian May has always introduced Paul Rodgers as one of the best blue singers ever. See the video "Guitar Legends" in spain from 1992, where he says that Rodgers has influenced probably every great rock singer...

2) Bohemian Rhapsody- I never heard Brian say a bad thing about this song. Post the interview so i can read that, and see the context in wich he says that (if he really says that).

What he says is that Killer Queen (Freddie composition) was the turning point of their
career and he`s right. This means that whithout Killer Queen they`d probably never got the support (money, studio facilities) from their label to do "A Night at the Opera" in the way they wanted to do. Of course, in the end, Bo Rhap is their most important song or is it We will Rock You, or We are the champions?- You know what i mean, Killer Queen is the beguining...


3) Brian May- I still think he`s shy, but this time he can`t hide behind Freddie so he has to go to the spotlight, and if he feels confortable it`s because he feels that his fans are suporting him and the band. Don`t forget that Roger Taylor is enjoying the spotlight too. I mean, i never saw a drumer as charismatic as Roger who has such a relation with his audience!

This is probably the reason why John Deacon don`t want to tour. He doesn`t want to change his attitude. He knows that if he tours he have to guive interviews, promote the concerts, etc, and probably this would be too violent for him. It´s violent for Brian too, but he made a conscient decision to do so, and he`s getting used to it. Can you imagine the consequences to the Queen music if all of them decided to be away from the music business?

We should be thankfull to Brian for taking care of the Queen cathalog, and personally supervise the new re-mixes DVD, etc. Beacause one thing is true, even though we don`t allways agree about the release product (extras, etc), at least we know that the sound is the best they could achive, because Brian is taking care of that, and he wouldn`t allow otherwise!

And as someone stated before, this has been already discussed, and i don`t understant why suddenly we are trying to analyse everything Brian does, and turning it against him! It sounds as if Brian has become a very diferent person from what he used to be (and in his case, a worst person)!

I just hope he doesn`t read Queenzone at all, because since they started the tour this site can be described as everything, but certainly not a Queen fan site.

Take care

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian didn't say anything bad about Bo Rhap, but to be honest that "Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't a pivotal point in their career as a band" - yes, he said it. Though he means something other, not bad about BR actually. This quote is out of context.

(I hope no-one would ask to ban me for this reply.....)

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They'd be a fool if they did.


"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Little_Queenie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 558 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

merc wrote:

Does anyone else get the feeling that Brian is really enjoying life in Queen at the moment and for the past few years, not just because he's up and touring again, but because he is pretty much the frontman of the band and gets most of the credit.


No, I don't get that feeling at all. Though Brian really is enjoying, but not because of the things you mentioned, dammit, he's enjoying cause he's doing what he loves the most, and that's playing the freakin guitar and touring again. The man's doing what he likes to do, no wonder he's happy about it...

And btw, all credits he gets are more than deserved, he didn't have to fight for credits even when Freddie was alive, and he sure as hell doesn't have to do that now. We all know Freddie was an awsome frontman, but we also know Brian's guitar playing is (besides Freddies vocals) the most important and the most recognisable thing that makes Queen's sound so unique and special, so much different from the others. So, no, I don't think he's enjoying today more than he did before, when Queen were still complete.


Give me a good guitar, and you can say that my hair's a disgrace, oh, just find me an open car - I'll make the speed of light out of this place...
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Brian didn't say anything bad about Bo Rhap, but to be honest that "Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't a pivotal point in their career as a band" - yes, he said it. Though he means something other, not bad about BR actually. This quote is out of context.

(I hope no-one would ask to ban me for this reply.....)


Fingers crossed:))

You still have bad feelings about my coments in the other topic but i`ve already apologised to you, because i didn`t think you would take that so personaly.
Normally i don`t react like that, but man, that discussion really upseted me, and you know why. In the end i answered your question about "I want it all" and "Mother Love" but i still have dificulties in reading the other posts by the other guy (you know who).

What i think it`s funny is that people that didn`t read that topic are trying to bring that up again, and you send them the links for them to be carefull :)) lol

No bad feelings, really...

Take care

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> at all conferences, press statements, and accepting awards, even when Freddie was alive.

Not all. There are several promotional trips Roger and John made etc

> he actually cares what his fans and Queen fans think...

Not so much. He is a very good promoter of his own image, and definitely he's more caring than many rock stars, but still, as Your Valentine pointed out, neither Roger nor himself deserve the fans they have.

> pretty unusual and rare

Not the first not the last

> Don`t forget that Roger Taylor is enjoying the spotlight too.

Yes but not so much in terms of cash as Dr. Bri. For instance, You Don't Fool Me was released with Queen credit instead of Taylor/Mercury (compared with Mother Love), and in recent releases Invisible Man and Breakthru have been credited to the band as well, as opposed to IWIA.

> i don`t understant why suddenly we are trying to analyse everything Brian does, and turning it against him!

It's not that way at all. I don't think it'd be fair to set Brian up for everything he did, but, as a music listener and a human being (i.e. citizen of the planet earth), I feel I've got the right to complain about what I feel unethic, like the use of the Queen name, the change of credits and stuff like that. Same as Sir Paul was unfair wanting to change the credits to McCartney/Lennon, but that's another story...

> this site can be described as everything, but certainly not a Queen fan site.

1. Not only queen fans visit this forum.

2. Being a queen fan (or a queen supporter, or a queen addict, or a queen ocassional listener, whatever...) doesn't mean Brian has to be applauded for everything he does.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Brenski and me were near the banning from QZ for having such opinion, you know... Let's not start it all again - find topic 'queen and paul rodgers' in General forum, there's a lot of thoughts about it.


Hey..you forgot about me!!!! I took shit for raising Cain with you and Martin and I am DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!!!! :D


antiden wrote:

I really think, that Brian is enjoying being "the main tool" in Queen nowadays. The more credits he gets - much more satisfied he gets! Guys, its so obvious!! Look, he is alreaday not that shy Brian that used to be in 71-91 period. He did change greatly within the past decade. I know a lot of fans who do not approve of his actions, comments or opinions at present. Sometimes he says really strange things, that contradict to what we used to know... Especially the fact, that Freddie was a fan of Paul Rodgers... What a bullshit! Nobody knew it untill 2004. Everything is done for commercial purposes mainly...
And his comments concerning Bo Rha was not such a big deal for them... Are we so stupid?


The interview that Brian said that BoRhap wasn't a pivotal point in Queen's career was this Spring's ''Uncut Magazine'' ''The Rise Of The Mighty Queen'' Cover Story I believe. I have that magazine and I can look for it if need be. Brian even ''exuberantly'' posted his own quotes (those very inflammatory quotes) on his website as well.
Yes. What a tool.


xyz
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

> It's not that way at all. I don't think it'd be fair to set Brian up for everything he did, but, as a music listener and a human being (i.e. citizen of the planet earth), I feel I've got the right to complain about what I feel unethic, like the use of the Queen name, the change of credits and stuff like that. Same as Sir Paul was unfair wanting to change the credits to McCartney/Lennon, but that's another story...




There we go again:
You`ve got the right to complain about what you feel unethic, but in this case you simply don`t know. I don`t know, you don`t know, nobody knows except the parts involved. So, you`re been unethic when you acuse Brian of been unethic for something you don`t know is unethic!!

Queen are a corporation and Brian can`t change things by himself (I think they all-John, Roger, Brian- need to agree on something).

But this is even more ofensive to John or Roger, because you`re saying that they`re too blind to see what Brian`s up to - he´s the evil one.
I really love to see your examples like You don`t fool me, and other`s- let me ask you something:

Where you there in the studio with them?- Was an interview that David Richard gave to a fan that led you to think that way?

In this matter is better for all if you just assume that you don`t know. Simple as that!!
What Paul McCartney do is his business, and it`s totally inapropriate to mixture the two matters, because thei`re not the same, And i`m shure that the wifes of the dead members have lawers taking care of them!

What i see in Brian`s case, is that i never (NEVER) saw anyone complain about that, and believe me, in what concerns to money people do a lot of noise! I never heard a thing about this and the people at this board feel like they have to protect Freddie`s rights or John`s or ...whathevers.

If the other guys don`t complain why should you...Probably you`re missinterpretating the facts...

To put an end to this, i just say this:
If tomorrow is proved that Brian`s actions were unethical, i keep what i say, because what i allways said is that you don`t judge a person`s behaviour whit facts you don`t know exists.
With this topic people are just trying to put Brian`s name down, and this is something that we never should do, whether is Brian or another humen being, and if you respect manking (as a citizen of the world) you probably agree with this.
The society as it is, is reaching a point of total desrespect for human race.
This kind of news in newspapers can destroy peoples lives, and they already did that. And when they discover that the news weren`t true they just keep going, not caring about the person that they destroyed.

So, i keep what i said before:
To make a negative judgement about someone we have to be toatally shure about what we are saying, we have to have all the facts in our hands, and in this case who does?

Take care





Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 20:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> So, you`re been unethic when you acuse Brian of been unethic for something you don`t know is unethic!!

They publicly said several times that they had agreed on creditting everything to Queen, no matter who came up with the song. When Brian broke that and put IWIA under his name, that's unethical in my book (although I'm aware that John and Roger must have approved that). Maybe John and Roger don't care about it, why should I?... well, that's my problem. It's not that I mean Brian should be executed because he put IWIA under his name, I just think it's unethical, period. Neither I'm trying to change your mind nor I'm willing to change mine.

> Queen are a corporation and Brian can`t change things by himself (I think they all-John, Roger, Brian- need to agree on something).

I don't know, you don't know, only the parts involved. You got that one right, so it applies to that statement as well.

> you`re saying that they`re too blind to see what Brian`s up to - he´s the evil one.

As I said, I'm not saying Brian is the anti-christ or a criminal. I just mean that THOSE actions (the name of the band, his surname in the song credits) are, IMHO, unethical. If some people (I'm not hinting you or anybody, just speaking in general) can't stand someone saying Brian isn't perfect, I'm sorry, I can't/won't/don't-want-to change anybody's mind, but I won't change mine either.

> I really love to see your examples like You don`t fool me, and other`s

Brian himself said he didn't take part in writting You Don't Fool Me (recently in his soapbox), in a similar way he confirmed (GVHII Audio Commentary) that Roger wrote Invisible Man and Breakthru, and Fred wrote The Miracle. And the story goes on.

> If the other guys don`t complain why should you...

Again, I'm not saying Brian should be in prison or executed or anything. I think it's unethical, end of story. Just a comment: take it easy.

> i allways said is that you don`t judge a person`s behaviour whit facts you don`t know exists.
> With this topic people are just trying to put Brian`s name down, and this is something that we never should do,

You're not buying your own story: if you're not supposed to judge a person's behaviour by assumptions, then why on earth are you assuming we're just trying to put Dr. May's name down? Can you get inside our minds?

For me (as I indeed can read my mind), I'm not putting Brian's name down. Whoever think of him as a hero, a god or a divinity: congratulations. I'll NEVER do anything to try to convince him/her otherwise. Every person is entitled to their own opinion, and to express it, and I express mine: Brian has made some few unethical actions lately (which doesn't change the fact he's, imo, a good bloke and a nice person and an excellent musician etc etc)


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

> You're not buying your own story: if you're not supposed to judge a person's behaviour by assumptions, then why on earth are you assuming we're just trying to put Dr. May's name down? Can you get inside our minds?

For me (as I indeed can read my mind), I'm not putting Brian's name down. Whoever think of him as a hero, a god or a divinity: congratulations. I'll NEVER do anything to try to convince him/her otherwise. Every person is entitled to their own opinion, and to express it, and I express mine: Brian has made some few unethical actions lately (which doesn't change the fact he's, imo, a good bloke and a nice person and an excellent musician etc etc)


If you say he`s making some unethical actions towards other people (Roger, John and Freddie estate) i don`t see a higher reason for you to that. If you`re not trying to put Brian name down, i don`t understant what`s the reason then.

When it comes to denegrate someone`s name we have to be totally shure about the facts we have!
Do you own all the facts?- And to say that Roger and John didn`t care about that, do you think they´re stupid?

As i said before, we don`t know what happened betweeen doors in the studio, and what type of agreement do they have. As you know everybody contributed to the songs in the last two albums, and probably "I want it all" was all made by Brian. I don`t know, but one thing i`m shure, Roger and John are not stupid persons!!
And by the way, Brian is not my hero, i say this about all the persons, not just about brian. For more information go read the topic Queen+Paul Rodgers and you`ll see what i allways said.

Take care