Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > "Live Killers" venues?

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.geocities.com/qzboots/pages/lkanalysis.htm

I have a great respect for Bob and his work - so I thought this could once again be brought to general notice.

I summarise HIS work below, and I was also wondering if any of we Qzoners could add anything to his findings?

Appologies if I am out of line.

Queen: Live Killers
UK CD - EMI CDP 7 462 11 8
Released: UK 22nd June 1979
US 26th June 1979.

Brian May: “I can not remember from which shows the different songs were recorded from”

We Will Rock You
Let Me Entertain You
Death On Two Legs - Barcelona, 20 February 1979 & GB: Sporthalle, Cologne 1 February 1979

Killer Queen - Frankfurt, 2 February 1979
Bicycle Race - Frankfurt, 2 February 1979
I’m In Love With My Car - Zurich, 4 February 1979
Get Down Make Love - Frankfurt, 2 February 1979
You’re My Best Friend
Now I'm Here - GB: Festhalle, Frankfurt, 2 February 1979
Dreamer’s Ball
Love Of My Life - Frankfurt, 2 February 1979
'39 - GB: Festhalle, Frankfurt, 2 February 1979
Keep Yourself Alive
Don’t Stop Me Now - GB: Stadthalle, Bremen, 20 January 1979
Spread Your Wings - GB: Stadthalle, Bremen, 20 January 1979
Brighton Rock - GB: Stadthalle, Bremen, 20 January 1979
Bohemian Rhapsody - Frankfurt, 2 February 1979
Tie Your Mother Down - Frankfurt, 2 February 1979
Sheer Heart Attack
We Will Rock You - Frankfurt, 2 February 1979
We Are The Champions
God Save The Queen

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Dreamers Ball is from Paris. I also referred to Greg's book. They did concerts there Feb 27th, 28th and Mar. 1st. And the bootleg CD titled Bonsoir Paris and the bootleg footage from Paris '79 which includes DB are from Feb 28th and Mar 1st respectively. So, I think DB of Live Killers is from Feb 27th, for the intro part of Live Killers ver. is different from the ones from those nights I mention.
And according to Greg's book, Love of My Life is also from Paris...

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
John S Stuart

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Melancholy Blues: Good shout - and as Bob's pointed out on his web-site, "Death On Two Legs" is certainly a hybrid of Barcelona, 20 February 1979, while GB states: Sporthalle, Cologne 1 February 1979.

I am very happy to believe that both are correct.

I too agree that "Dreamer's Ball" is a hybrid, and I think that you may well be correct about the Paris bit, but do you think the whole track is made up from Paris parts - or do you think that other venues were used also?

Certainly the composit tracks are the hardest to identify, and we know that in some cases, some songs are welded from two seperate sources, but, is it possible that other tracks could be compiled from more than two sources?

finally, does Mr. B have a date for that Paris "Love Of My Life"?

newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bobs work is fascinating. Never once did ithink all those years ago when i bought my live killers lp that the tracks were mixed.
Fantastic work by bob theres gotta be others that are welded surely. ive heard snippets of 'now im here' recognised it from killers then its a different song.

martinjkstones
Gordie Howe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 368 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah I didnt think anything was weird about it untill 2 years ago when I heard the clap in Bicycle Race. Then I found Bobs info and it cleared a lot up.

Well here's my counter-offer... do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever loving shit out of you?
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought that Kiss hit the bottom line when they`ve released Alive 1, but Live Killers own that position.
Can`t this guys relax?- To release a live album should be the simplest thing in the world, but not whith Queen, they have to keep things difficult. I´m really start to think that Queen have the best cathalog to sing live, but as long as being the greatest live band ever...really don`t know! If they were so great why do they need all that production?

Even though i noticed subtle sound changes during the songs, i never realise that they were changing venues, and if you want my opinion, this is not the way a live album should me made.

Great work in finding the venues guys!

Take care

stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok this is really interesting.help us newer folks please."live killers" actually has songs where parts are taken from different venues?that is absurd of queen if so.I know live magic is spiked with piped in crowd noise but this would cause me to lose some respect for them.Please clarify and try not to insult me because i dont know please.Give us all the dirt

john pistlli
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 05, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live Killers and Live Magic are both compilation live albums, which (correct me if I am wrong) is not _that_ unusual of an idea.

The difference betweem the two albums is that Live Killers was compiled by people outside of the band. Brian and Roger, I believe, were especially upset with the end product. Live Magic, coming nearly a decade later and after Queen had more control over their careers, was probably more directly controlled by the band. Not sure what the excuse was there, other than the fact they did not want to release another 2LP set.

DJ's the man we love the most
Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1059 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 05, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And if memory serves, don't they say 'merci beaucoup' during the intro to Dreamer's Ball, which should narrow it down a bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, not that you'd need the invitation!

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"

Posted: 18 Aug 05, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

Live Killers and Live Magic are both compilation live albums, which (correct me if I am wrong) is not _that_ unusual of an idea.

But i agree with compilations, but to release 2 or even 3 venues during a song it`s something else!- It`s ridiculous, and it`s not certainly a live concert, because they simple didn`t catch the live moment at all- that special moment.

This is almost like the "Love Kills" live version if you know what i mean!

Take care

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 05, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John, I can't believe I haven't thought of doing this on QZ. :P

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I just have this to add: I'm horribly disgusted by the fact that Greg Brooks hasn't given us the answers we all would like to have. His new book has proven to us that he has access to all (or almost all) of the soundboard recordings used for LK, and there are still plenty of loopholes with question marks. Lazy, lazy, lazy! Either that, or his musical ear is awful and couldn't differentiate version A from version B. His new book is, for the most part, a disgrace. Read my blog if you want to see the complete rant!

Between Brooks, and those "experts" used for that QOL "official bootleg" project, this display of insisting they have the best people on their side has ultimately proven that QP have no clue what they're doing when it comes to getting the best information and goods out to the public about Queen live.

Maybe I should apply for a job there. Who wants to join me?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
John S Stuart

Posted: 18 Aug 05, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry ©: "I think you should apply for a job Bob, John S would be better than you know who as archivist as well."

Thank you very much for the kind words Barry, but I do not wish to promote the impression that this thread was created as an anti-GB sponsor-sheet.

Rather, like Bob, yourself, and loads of others in here, I am just looking for the best sources of information, and like the rest of you guys, if that info is NOT available officially, then it just means a lot of hard (but enjoyable) work for the rest of us.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 05, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bobby_brown wrote:

but to release 2 or even 3 venues during a song it`s something else!- It`s ridiculous, and it`s not certainly a live concert, because they simple didn`t catch the live moment at all- that special moment.

True. I never paid that close attention to the fact they used multiple concerts for the same song. But then, I never listen to Live Killers much to know what I'm missing.

Why listen to a bastardized version when there are several decent bootlegs available for the same era?

DJ's the man we love the most
NTL user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 05, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember someone writing to Brians website not to long ago saying that the slow version of WWRY was from the show in Zargrebb ( correct spelling ?) Yugoslavia. He said that he attended the show and at some point during the song Freddie says something in Yugoslavian or whatever language they speak, Brian confirmed this and said he would pass the info onto GB.

I love you for your mind baby give me your body.
brucifer user not visiting Queenzone.com
brucifer
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 05, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The fact that the songs themselves and not just the album are compiled from various concerts shouldn't really surprise anyone. Most live albums are done this way .... even ones that claim to be from one show.

In fact, it's been common practice in the industry for groups, or artists, to go back into the studio and "fix" the live tracks. This is rampant on many live albums - ex: Kiss - Alive I, II, III & IV; Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East (which has been nicknamed Unleashed In The Studio); Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous ..... the list goes on and on and on. there are very few that are truly live, although they do exist.

At least, to our knowledge, Queen hasn't resorted to this. The tracks are still "live", even if pieces of songs are taken from different venues.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in. Sorry for interupting.

Posted: 19 Aug 05, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brucifer wrote:

The fact that the songs themselves and not just the album are compiled from various concerts shouldn't really surprise anyone. Most live albums are done this way .... even ones that claim to be from one show.

In fact, it's been common practice in the industry for groups, or artists, to go back into the studio and "fix" the live tracks. This is rampant on many live albums - ex: Kiss - Alive I, II, III & IV; Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East (which has been nicknamed Unleashed In The Studio); Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous ..... the list goes on and on and on. there are very few that are truly live, although they do exist.

At least, to our knowledge, Queen hasn't resorted to this. The tracks are still "live", even if pieces of songs are taken from different venues.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in. Sorry for interupting.

I`m not surprised about fixing the tracks in the studio, because shit happens during a performance even though i think that Kiss and Judas Priest really abuse of this studio thing.

But to release two or even three performances in one song, i really never heard this was made, because it`s a lot more hard to do, instead of just fixing the mistakes!

What disapointes me the most is that Queen are considered to be the best live band ever -the BEST- but "Live Killers" is not the type of thing that the best live band should release, or Rare Live, or Live Magic.-"They should put their money where their mouth is, so to speack!"

I´m not been cinical here, but i do really think that Queen were considered to be the best because of the anthems and crowd reaction, because i`ve seen Van Halen concerts , bootlegs , or even Iron Maiden, and let me tell you, there`s no way Queen could beat those guys, because they`ve really worked very hard to be that good live. I think that the 80`s was the decade where Queen really established themselves as a very good live band.
Don`t get me wrong, their my favourite band, but there`s people out there that really work harder to guive the best concert they can.

When Steve Vai goes on tour with G3 he says that he can reharse until 15 hours a day, because he wants to be on top form.

Take care

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 05, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah,bob should get a job:-)great site with very honest criticism!really like that and it looks to me that he has some musical knowledge aswell(I must admit I haven't,though I can of course judge their performances)

on my way up
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 05, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

but it clearly says on 'LK'

'recored from fifty live shows'
...even if you account for audience overdubs, it still says that the 23/24 tracks are recorded from quite a few different venues, also the 'merci beaucoups' is a dead giveaway...

the thing that strikes me most about LK is that it's predominantly recorded in front of Gemran speaking audiences....and the BR 'clap' is a case to point!

go deo na hÉireann
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 05, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

who gives a rats ass. get over it, queen havn't toured since 86, oh i forgot about the new so called queen tour, anyway, get on with your lives.

stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 05, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey Mike get a real nickname..that one is old,stale and boring. mike hunt ha ha ha ha

john pistlli