Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > John being cut out

forum rss feed
Author

Wet Willie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 148 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Aug 05, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since John Deacon has resigned from Queen, have you also noticed how he's being ignored on all levels.

I had another look at the "Bowl" DVD last night and noticed we get plenty of Brian, Roger & Freddie, but not too much of John.
So OK, he hadn't a great stage presence, but is still 1/4 of the band.

Compilations: Too many Brian & Roger tunes.
John did contribute great singles to the band too, yet they seemed to be eclipsed in the releases after 1995.

Have you also notived this?

with fish and bacon, please
Little_Queenie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 558 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 05, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, John did have some great songs, but not as much as Freddie or Brian. It's just a simple fact, so nothing weird he's less mentioned on DVD's than the rest of them. Of course compilations too will have more Brian's songs than John's when Brian wrote much more than John.

Give me a good guitar, and you can say that my hair's a disgrace, oh, just find me an open car - I'll make the speed of light out of this place...
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 05, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think so... I don't think that Gavin Taylor has something against John...

kagezan1313 user not visiting Queenzone.com
kagezan1313
Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 01:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think we see less of him just about everywhere because John is a weinee. He's always been the butt of Queen's jokes. Look at his intro on Magic Years - after 5 seconds of stammering during an interview, they cut away. Look at Live in Budapest - during the personal segments, while everyone else is doing something exciting, there's John in a park, being a weinee and talking to some little English girl about where she lives. Other than Gene Simmons, most bassists are little weinees. They are usually playing bass because real guitar is too challenging for them, so they take up residence in the background, making background noise. Being a rock frontman myself, I must say from my experience that for all they contribute, they are also awefully picky, opinionated, and usually just a pain in the ass to live with. Yes, John Deacon wrote some good songs, but both on and off stage he had all the charisma of a wet tea bag.

Thank you, God bless you, sweet dreams you lot of tarts, Good-bye!
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kagezan1313 wrote:

Other than Gene Simmons, most bassists are little weinees. They are usually playing bass because real guitar is too challenging for them, so they take up residence in the background, making background noise. Being a rock frontman myself, I must say from my experience that for all they contribute, they are also awefully picky, opinionated, and usually just a pain in the ass to live with.

I've been a working musician for most of the last 25 years and from my experience a rhythm section can make or break a band. The good ones aren't noticed until they aren't there. (In my youthful arrogance I fired some good bassists and drummers and really missed their skill when I had to endure less skilled musicians) An educated ear can tell, no rhythm section no band.
John Deacon is a good bassist capable of laying down a groove ala James Jamerson, Jerry Jemmot or Duck Dunn or playing a melodic rock line ala Chris Squire.
He did the job required within Queen which didn't draw attention to himself.
He also has been credited with making business decisions which made Queen alot of money.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

I don't think so... I don't think that Gavin Taylor has something against John...

It's not gavin- it's John who was hiding in the darkest corners of the stage. I mean- should we have a camera chasing John on DVD, trying to find him? :)

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John is dead, the rest of the band thought it was too painful to include him in the DVD :P

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Little_Queenie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 558 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh dear... ://

Give me a good guitar, and you can say that my hair's a disgrace, oh, just find me an open car - I'll make the speed of light out of this place...
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger usually said something about John before I Want To Break Free on his solo tours.

Krizzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1806 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No way! He's making a mint are you joking!

Long Live Queen!!!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> They are usually playing bass because real guitar is too challenging for them

That's the most absurd comment I've ever seen here (and there have been many)

Bass is way more than "background noise". It's imo the most important instrument besides drums

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 13:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kagezan1313 wrote:

Other than Gene Simmons, most bassists are little weinees. They are usually playing bass because real guitar is too challenging for them, so they take up residence in the background, making background noise.

Fnurr?
John Entwhistle was a "weinee"?
Michael Anthony is a "weinee"?

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
kagezan1313

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, I take back the "little" out of wienee. There may be bassists of large physical stature. They're still wienees though. And as for bass being the most important instrument besides drums, I've never seen a "bass solo" during a show, never heard anyone say "Hey, listen to that incredible bass!" I'll happily add Flea to the list of bassists who are cool, but that's it. With people like Jack White doing away with bass altogether, I see a light at the end of the tunnel as far as these moody scourges of music go. And honestly, who amongst you could honestly say that John Deacon was a visual draw during a live Queen show? The other three at least did more than bob up and down in place like a wet tea bag. As for accountancy for the band, I've read that with the exception of the Magic tour, every tour they did put the band in the hole. Where was Mr. Deacon then?

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yikes, why would anyone want to sit and talk about John or any bassist in such a way?

Btw, didn't the on fire dvd actually come from two pre-recorded video feeds that were made on the day? In other words, isn't that all the footage that exists and therefore had nothing to do with post-95 editing decisions?

Btw, why should Bri or Rog have to mention John when they play a song of his? When John didn't show up for any of the big awards over the last few years, I've thought it a bit insulting to the band he was once part of. I've never been happy with those kind of decisions where he didn't show up for at least one of those big awards, like HOF in the USA. And remember that Brian has stated many times before that John is happy with whatever Bri or Rog do with Queen.
So if he doesn't bother to make any kind of contact, why should Bri or Rog have to say anything about John? Isn't that what John wants.

Peace,
Adam.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chrirons wrote:

Since John Deacon has resigned from Queen, have you also noticed how he's being ignored on all levels.

I had another look at the "Bowl" DVD last night and noticed we get plenty of Brian, Roger & Freddie, but not too much of John.
So OK, he hadn't a great stage presence, but is still 1/4 of the band.

Compilations: Too many Brian & Roger tunes.
John did contribute great singles to the band too, yet they seemed to be eclipsed in the releases after 1995.

Have you also notived this?

John had the highest charting single to date :)

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Little_Queenie wrote:

Yes, John did have some great songs, but not as much as Freddie or Brian. It's just a simple fact, so nothing weird he's less mentioned on DVD's than the rest of them. Of course compilations too will have more Brian's songs than John's when Brian wrote much more than John.

John and Roger and Freddie had more hits than Brian! :)

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kagezan1313 wrote:

Okay, I take back the "little" out of wienee. There may be bassists of large physical stature. They're still wienees though. And as for bass being the most important instrument besides drums, I've never seen a "bass solo" during a show, never heard anyone say "Hey, listen to that incredible bass!" I'll happily add Flea to the list of bassists who are cool, but that's it. With people like Jack White doing away with bass altogether, I see a light at the end of the tunnel as far as these moody scourges of music go. And honestly, who amongst you could honestly say that John Deacon was a visual draw during a live Queen show? The other three at least did more than bob up and down in place like a wet tea bag. As for accountancy for the band, I've read that with the exception of the Magic tour, every tour they did put the band in the hole. Where was Mr. Deacon then?

IMO, you'll never develop as a "musician" with that attitude, the bass makes or breaks bandsm songs, album. If you don't understand that concept, you'll never be much of an artist.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have to admit, bass is a very important part. It can make or break a song. And it really drives things along. I wrote a song back in 2002 and the bass part really makes the song. I often feel that without it it wouldn't be as effective. It really showed me that it can be just as important as any other instrumentation included in a track.

Peace,
Adam.

kagezan1313

Posted: 02 Sep 05, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, for God's sake! I love bassists. My bassist is a guitar virtuoso. He plays bass instead of lead or rhythm because he chooses to. And anyone who knows about live performance knows that bass and vocals support each other directly. I just enjoy the odd flame, if the comedic aspects of my rants weren't evident.

I have, however, never liked John Deacon. The chronic bad hair, the squinty eyes and turtle-head manorisms, not to mention the closed-mouth smiles (at least Freddie had a reason to be self-conscious) Later the alcoholism, the DUI, the whole stripper thing, etc. Just a goof, in my opinion. He just seemed not to belong amid the other three.

The one thing he did for which I respect him greatly though was to acknowledge that Queen ceased to exist when Freddie died. That's not intended as a flame for Queen + PR fans. I know Brian and Roger need to do this one last time to cleanse their souls and say goodbye to a life they were forced to leave too soon. They just could have picked a new name tied to Queen, (a la Velvet Revolver) like "The Champions" or such. Perhaps John would have taken part.

7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 02 Sep 05, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bass is the link between beat and hook. Deacon is a genius, but listen to "When Doves Cry" -- one exception of a great tune w/o bass

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!