Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Are Brian and Roger right to use the Queen name ?

forum rss feed
Author

bryans permed poodle 15069 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A simple Yes or No

For me it's a No.

Paul Rodgers - "Gimp Of The Year 2006"
@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 07:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suppose, to be honest i don't really care.
I don't lose sleep at night over it.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 07:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, they formed the band

Does it matter if someone likes it or not?
no, it's THEIR band, and THEY have the right to name it

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Using for what?

For the tour - no, IMHO. In other cases - could be yes. Anyway John have let them use it, Freddie can't be asked if he's agree or not, so - let 'em do what they want, you still can have your own opinion and the right to say what you think about what they're doing.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sure. Freddie's dead and I haven't heard of John objecting. Roger and Brian put in the years of work helping to make Queen what it was/is. They have every right as long as there aren't objections from Freddie's estate or John.

When it comes to the current 'STYX' however, that's a different story. They have no right to be pretending to be STYX without Dennis DeYoung. It's very sad. If Dennis had agreed to leave or died, fine.. but I don't believe that was the case.

its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my answer is YES!
Still Brian and Roger and thats why its called
Queen+Pr not just Queen but Queen+Pr.

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
QUEENROCKS_1991 user not visiting Queenzone.com
QUEENROCKS_1991
Bohemian: 260 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my answer is a big loud YES

now poodle go and join the poodle fan club lol

THE SHOW MUST GO ON

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL!!!!!!!!
If that doesnt tell him then i dont no what will!!

englishyob user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if there just called themselves Queen then not really but since there called themselves Queen+Paul Rogers then YES

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes.

Look, when i heard about the tour i felt exactly as you do, but i tried to analise the question like this:

1) It`s just a name (a very strong one, that seems to bring many emotions to their fans);

2) It´S their band, not ours. It was Freddie`s idea to call them Queen, but they all helped to built that name. Even if you don`t agree with this point, just think like this:
- No one wanted that name for a start, just Freddie, so, no matter what name they could have choosen, in the end that was the name they would be touring with now.
So, it`s not really a question about who`s idea was to choose Queen name. Freddie had a vision and they have all agreed to built his dream toghether. When he died they were left without a band at the ages of 41 to 44 years old. They were too young to stop, and too old to start another project.

3) Who am i to judge their lives?- They do what is best for them or what it feels good to them.
Whether we like it or not, it was Freddie`s lifestyle that brought an end to his life, and consequently, to his band. Because of his choises Brian, Roger and John were left without a band and for almost 14 years they didn`t tour as band and were left with phsichologic scars because they had to deal with the image of seeng Freddie dying a little every day and could do nothing to help him.

We all have problems, but do you think Freddie`s choises in the past showed respect to the band, and to those around him? (think about that for a moment): He didn`t care about his future, as you can read on several books, he was a self-destructive person!

4) This is the strongest reason: No matter what they do now, there`s no way they can denegrate Queen`s past. Nothing!
Freddies and Queen legacy will live forever. Think about this for a moment!
Is there anything that they could do that could erase their past as one of the greatest bands ever?! My answer: no, they can`t!

They could even release a CD just with flarts (with good flarts harmonisation by Brian), still they would be remembered as the greatest ever.

But we all now that this ain`t going to happen, because they are all great musician and in my opinion they have matured so much that it`s impossible for them to release a bad album. If they want, they can easily release one of the best Queen albums ever (not recreating those heavilly produced 70`s albums) but pure Rock`n`Roll. The diference is just Freddie`s not there to sing the songs, but if you listen to Paul`s voice without pre-conceived ideas you`ll notice that he really has a beautifull strong voice.
And there`s no way you can say Freddie was great and Paul sucks. No way. Forget that he`s in Queen now, and analyse him simply for what he is.

Take Care, and enjoy the band because ten years from now there will be no Queen and will never be again. We are fortunate enough to live at the same live period as their`s. To me, this is the equivalent to live the same time as Mozart or Bach!
In years to come, the only thing that people can do is wonder how it was! The same thing i do when i`m watching Wembley! But at least i saw 50% in Lisbon and it was GREAT!

Sharon G. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 462 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NO!

No Freddie, No John, No Queen

Fine to have a band with 2 former Queen members
but this is not Queen.Stop using the name.

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fantastic Bobby_Brown!
I totally agree.

QUEENROCKS_1991

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

correct bobby
what can i say u said it all lol

THE SHOW MUST GO ON
QUEENROCKS_1991

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they will carry on until the day they die

look at rolling stone all grandad rockin on the stage lol

i say good for them and no matter what as long as everybody enjoying life

THE SHOW MUST GO ON
cream user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Queen" sells tickets

Good luck to them

They were and still are phonomenal

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Legally YES!
Therefore none of our opinions on this topic holds any real importance.
It is nice to see these guys out touring again even if it is without Freddie.

Eviltwin user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Display Message
Eviltwin
Bohemian: 549 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEENROCKS_1991 wrote:

they will carry on until the day they die

look at rolling stone all grandad rockin on the stage lol

i say good for them and no matter what as long as everybody enjoying life

eeeeek

QUEENROCKS_1991

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL i aint a rolling stone fan lol i am just saying if they can do it so can queen LOL

THE SHOW MUST GO ON
stringsrmagicalzey user not visiting Queenzone.com
stringsrmagicalzey
Bohemian: 175 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who am I to judge what they do?

Yet, it makes me really happy to know they are doing what they want:"Rocking us"...ahhh! music, sweet music... YES :) YES :) YES :)

Peace & whole lotta love!

"If we are alive, we're gonna play.We're musicians.That's what we do". Brian May
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 21 Aug 05, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone who answers "no" has no concept of the way ownership laws work. If someone owns a name, then they have the right to use it for anything they please. It's really quite a simple concept. In fact, a fourth-grader could have thought it up.

Anyone who answers "no" has no respect for Brian and Roger as musicians and as people. Should their careers stop as a band because Freddie died? Obviously the name Queen is the marketable name, but it doesn't mean they're doing it for the money. They formed the band. They own the name. They can do what they want with it. Whether or not people agree is a separate issue.

Therefore, if the above is understood, anyone who answers "no" has their personal beliefs getting in the way. The question was not "do you agree with Brian and Roger using the name Queen?".

Queen+Rodgers haters are not "Queen fans"; they are "Freddie fans". If they were Queen fans, they would support the remaining members of the band at a time like this, with positive memories of Freddie. Any disrespect for Freddie is in the mind of the person who sees any disrespect.

This tour is giving a new generation of Queen fans the chance to enjoy the band and the feeling of being at a Queen concert, perhaps for the last time. It is minus a key member of the band, but the spirit of Freddie is there.

If you don't agree, then state your opinion once if you need to, and then don't come to the concerts and don't buy any of the subsequent cds or DVDs. I can't see why this is such a difficult thing for some people to understand.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca