Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Why Doesn't The U.S. Get It?

forum rss feed
Author

bohemianrhap84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 217 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Aug 05, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't understand why the U.S. is so blind to the fact that Queen was/is the greatest band of all time. Just because they did some "controversial" things like dress in drag for I Want To Break Free video, or released an album of all dance oriented material in Hot Space. And just because Freddie Mercury was gay. Being from the U.S. it makes me sick that Queen doesn't get their just due. I mean, off the top of my head I can think of at least 20 (actually way more) awesome Queen tracks that easily could top any music chart. I appreciate the countries who actually do realize that Queen rules. They're better than The Beatles, way better than The Rolling Stones (the magazine sucks too) and any other band who ever played. At least I get it. Thank God for that.

How can I go on from day to day? Who can make me strong in every way?
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 25 Aug 05, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're into Nascar, wrestling...and you like Queen? Wonders never cease..;-)

PainPleasure user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The States where colonized by Puritans in the 1600s and they always believed that they were the chosen ones and that they were always right in everything. That is despotism and the US suck real hard.

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 00:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Um, the Puritans did not colonize the majority of the States. Their impact was limited quite a bit, much more than people realize.

As for being the ''chosen ones,'' that's a myth.

DJ's the man we love the most
boy of destiny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 214 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally I don't really care that they don't get Queen. Music isn't a popularity contest. I like what I like and to me that's all matters.

Oh, and I'm Canadian by the way, so I do blame the U.S. for never getting to see Queen live.

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 03:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In a country with a complete moron as president, whrere stadiums sell out with dumb monstertruck races, i am not surprised they don't get the finesse of Queen...

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 03:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bohemianrhap84 wrote:

Just because they did some "controversial" things like dress in drag for I Want To Break Free video, or released an album of all dance oriented material in Hot Space. At least I get it. Thank God for that.

I'll reply to this later. Right now I'm in the middle of disco dancing to "Life is Real". It's so fast-paced I had to take a breather..

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My thoughts exactly. It's a weird but simply put state of affairs. The Brits have better culture and would seem so much smarter than Americans until they try cooking you a meal. It's weird as hell but the Brits are a culture who can rock your world and make you abandon American pride until you realize that the trade off is that these people with superior ears can't cook worth a shit.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 04:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

My thoughts exactly. It's a weird but simply put state of affairs. The Brits have better culture and would seem so much smarter than Americans until they try cooking you a meal. It's weird as hell but the Brits are a culture who can rock your world and make you abandon American pride until you realize that the trade off is that these people with superior ears can't cook worth a shit.

LMAO- and so truth!!!!!!!! I've been living here for 5 years (England) and the only food worth eating was either Indian or Chinesse restaurants...

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

England does have a phenomenal music culture

On my first trip to England(years ago when I was 18) I remember asking my Brit friend who had never been to the USA if they had country music in England. He said no after first enquiring as to what country music actually was.

I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, to be so ignorant to country music as to have never even heard it before. Those Brits, we sure could learn from them." Being from Texas, I had a special appreciation for that confused Brit. It's a good feeling, like traveling to a world where violence and hate are incomprehinsible ideas never heard of before.

I'll bet if you played country music opposite and backwards, it would sound like Queen. Hmm... what sounds better, country music or my own screams?? Well, you can't have the first without the other following shortly after.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd love to experince the food and culture of Great Britain, especially the faggots. I hear they're quite tasty!

Sharron .G user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

British music is better.
And currently we do have a total fucking idiot for a president.

However, the US must not be in total shambles, as this is still the country that more people are trying to get to then anywhere else.

Some of the USA totally gets bands like Queen, the finess, the style..etc..etc

There is another segment of the USA (The George "Dubb'ya" Bush's) that have nothing to do with/nor support any type of culture, or music.....

Many of the cowboy types over here assume that most, if not all European men are homosexuals.

Even if they live with a woman, or are married, its assumed by the hillbillies that most Euro men have had gay sex, loved it, and only get with women for child bearing purposes.

I hear it all the time.

I was in a music store during Christmas, The Darkness "a thing called love" was playing on the store stereo... this customer asked what that was.... the clerk handed it to him.... he said "where these guys from?"

She said "The U.K."

He said "Nah, I don't support any faggots"

He assumed since the guys were from England, they must = gay.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ayreon wrote:

In a country with a complete moron as president, whrere stadiums sell out with dumb monstertruck races, i am not surprised they don't get the finesse of Queen...

Totally agree with that!
They have a culture of their own, they like to be called the self made country and they influence others, not the oposite. Their loss really.

But this doesn`t happens in all America but in the more conservative states.
Maybe when they are consciously prepared, then and only then, they will be able to find the beaty of Queen.

In what concerns to arts they still have a great path to walk but they will never be as rich as Europe, because of their ego!

Take care

smileexpert user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To: 'Boy of Destiny'...a fellow Canadian:
>Quote: Music isn't a popularity contest.

I agree you here in principal...but as far as the music INDUSTRY goes, I have to disagree.

If it ISN'T a popularity contest, then explain the success of American and Canadian Idol?

Are they judged on Musicality? REALLY? Or is this a popularity contest?

Commedian Chris Rock summarized this best - in my view:

"Paula Abdul judging a singing contest, is like Christopher Reeve judging a dance contest...it just ain't right..."

And explain William Hung...is the success of this poor 'dropped on his head' baby a result of musicality, or popularity?

The success of MANY musicians over the past number of years has been related to either a) their novelty/gag factor (William Hung) or b)how much sex and/or skin they can show or work into their music (not to mention how much help they get from producers, and how manufactured these artists can sound via digital technology) (Brittney Spears) - which makes up for their relative LACK of musical skill.

These artists become popular, and sell Platinum albums because of one or both of these 2 factors making it the ULTIMATE popularity contest.

In a fair world, I think musicality SHOULD outweigh popularity, or at best there should be a happy medium (i.e. a lot of people would buy an album because the artist is HONESTLY a GOOD MUSICIAN - rather than 'just being good looking' or feeding off their 15 minutes of fame) but (aside from Classical music, and a few rare popular music examples such as Queen) it doesn't work out like that. At least it hasn't lately, from what I can see...

Ultimately this plays heavily into why the U.S. hasn't spent much time in promoting Queen and/or a possible full tour aside from (at present) 2 dates.

My 2 cents...for what it's worth

Andrew

Erin

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeffrey Todd wrote:

I'd love to experince the food and culture of Great Britain, especially the faggots. I hear they're quite tasty!

Faggots in a "rich sauce" are tasty..so I read, anyway.

Btw..so excited..Sunday night is the tractor pull, then we are gonna go sit on the porch at night, drink some Buds, and watch the skeeters get fried in the bugzapper. You can't do THAT in the UK!

LIZAWITHAZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am no fan of either Bush or Blair. But comparisons to the US and UK are ridiculous in my opinion because both countries are worlds apart.

Especially musically and socially. Americans love fast everything, cars, food, LOL! The UK is a little more subdued when it comes to atmosphere, maybe we are used to waiting for what we wish as for the US they are the spoiled children who have everything but wanted it yesterday!

LOL! I mean that in a joking fashion as I am older than most of the noticeboard posters here and have travelled extensively I can make a comparison like this. When I was in my 20s I came to the US for the very first time during the Vietnam era and back then it was an amazing country. I landed first in New York City where I was with a very large British tour group, I loved America's openness at that time, of course being a closeted gay man at the time I was terrified of the "Greenwich Village" area which was beginning to be the eventually mecca of gay culture in New York (now of course its Chelsea).

My point is that nowadays that openness or freedom of expression is being stifled (I believe)by many in the US government who are extremely right wing (Mr. Bush Jr.'s lot).

A shame because I would like to return as I have many wonderful friends there (and some former lovers) I would like to see but I would hate to deal with those tossers again.

Well that's my feelings and take from that what you want.

Cheers,
David

HELLO DARLINGS!
mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess this should affect me the most, as I am an American, born and raised.

I'm not going to argue, I'm going to agree. The US does suck when it comes to music. Think about this. Most of the greatest bands (and my faves) came from other countries. Queen, Rolling Stones, Beatles, The Clash, all those excellect rock bands came from England. And there's more where that came from lol

The problem with the US is, well, we change way too much. From the way we dress to the way we talk, nothing stays the same for too long. One day something will be popular, the next day it will be considered "out of date".

Same goes with music. People would rather call Queen fossils instead of calling them idols. People in the US would rather listen to the new Britney Spears album, or watch the newest Brad Pitt movie, or dig into a tabloid magazine and believe all the false crap they put in them.

I loathe the American way. To take the title of a Queen song,

"Is this the world we created?"

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"
@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even better, come to Scotland!
It rains, it rains more, and it's cold!
And you get to eat great Scottish food like Pizza's, Curry's, Chinese Take Away's etc.

Great Fun!

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ayreon wrote:

I thought George Bush was their President?

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Erin

Posted: 26 Aug 05, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=black>andylamb_38 wrote:

Even better, come to Scotland!
It rains, it rains more, and it's cold!

I was there in January and froze my ass off. It wasn't the actual temp, it was the icy cold wind that gets ya..brrrrrr..