Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What is it, guys?! Is it rarity or fake???!!!

forum rss feed
Author

Seven_Seas_Of_Rhye II user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43652&item=4757739712

Take this letter that I give you

Take it sonny hold it high

You won't understand a word that's in it

But you'll write it all again before you die

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe because it's not the first auction of this recording.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry Thomas, but this is indeed genuine.

The seller is not selling the original tape - but a copy of the tape, and as we all know, he can make and sell as many copies of these as often as he likes!

I'm afraid Barry is looking a bit older now, (well compared to the pictures of him in the early 1970's in "As It Began"), and this is the only KNOWN recording of Barry Mitchell in Queen. (All other internet downloads claiming "Polar Bear" etc feature Mitchell are a load of old tosh).

Wonder if Barry himself knows it's on e-bay?

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
John S Stuart

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Queen-Recording-Featuring-Barry-Mitchell-on-bass_W0QQitemZ7541980376QQcategoryZ2355QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This new link shows that he has others for sale...

Obviously the seller is a "Close to Mitchell" source. Remember, it also comes with a signed Mitchell letter, and as someone who knows Mitchell well, it is no surprised that he has either passed (or sold) this on. How else do you think the seller was able to snap that recent photograph?

1965 - 1968

Conviction
Summer - 7” Acetate

Rock Me Baby/ Telephone Blues
Barry Mitchell first acetate recorded 1965, Barry’s front room (includes Alan Parsons). Usual line up - Vocals: Ian Harris, Guitar/ vocals: Alan Parsons, Guitar: Alan Owen, Bass: Barry Mitchell, Drums: Phil Brockton. Only 5 copies cut.

Began life as a soul band around 1965 – 66, as the brainchild of lead vocalist Ian Harris, playing mainly Ottis Reading and Commitment type covers. Converted to Blues circa 1967, when they played such illustrious places as Ronnie Scott’s Blues Club – where they were compared to the likes of Cream and Fleetwood Mac.

By 1968 totally psychedelic, converted to hippies, and started writing own material. Spotted by American A&R man Doug Mews of Mercury Records – who was specifically searching for a “London” sound.

Earth

January 10 Conviction recorded an album’s worth of material at De Lane Lea Studios for release on the American market. Mercury wanted to change the band’s name to London, the band preferred Earth, and wanted the album to be called Metamorphous or some other psychedelic title. Recorded in the same studio as the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band’s Doughnut in Granny’s Greenhouse album, the eponymous LP Earth, although never issued, was cut as a 12” acetate (of which only a solitary copy seems to exist). This record is not only valuable because it features a very young Alan Parson’s but also highlights future Queen bassist Barry Mitchell.

Recorded January 10 1969, Mercury Records, De Lane Lea, London. Produced by Douglas Mews.
Blues Tattoo (Mitchell). Don’t See You Much (Mitchell wrote bass). Song To
Katherine (Ray Quilly – only drafted in for the day).
Vocals: Ian Harris, Alan Parsons: Lead guitar/ acoustic guitar, flute, Organ/ mouth organ: Ray Quilly, Bass guitar: Barry Mitchell, Drums: Phil Brockton.
Miseducation, Sea Of Faces, Earthworm, Rain On The Roof, Something Above Us, Blues Tattoo, Don’t See You Much, In The Land Of The Blind, Angel Of Death, Song To Katherine.

After the departure of original Queen bassist Mike Grose, Barry’s friend Roger Crossley, who had met Roger Taylor, set up an audition at Imperial College. After passing the audition, Barry was invited to join, and like Brian and Roger, brought a degree of hardened studio professionalism to the struggling out-fit, and also, coincidently cut unreleased material for Mercury Records, specifically aimed at the US market.

This new Queen practiced a variety of material. Covers of Jimmi Hendrix’s Electric Lady and Voodoo Chile proved to be particular favourites, as did, Shirley Bassey’s Big Spender and Cliff Richard’s Bachelor Boy. Live sets included the old Wreckage number Stone Cold Crazy, and the perennial Elvis Presley and Little Richard encores.

A particular highlight for the band (and Brian in particular) was the appearance of the Tornados guitarist Heinz (Just Like Eddie), at their first Imperial College gig. Brian May amassed a large private collection of band photographs during this period, but unfortunately none seem to survive.

January 9 Ewell Technical College, Surrey
Barry Mitchell's final gig, supporting Kevin Ayres And The Whole World Band and Genesis. The set was recorded by Ken Testi on a Grundig reel to reel - due to technical difficulties (mangled/chewed tape), only the encore remains.
Jailhouse rock, Stupid Cupid, Bebopa Lula, Big Spender, Bamalama Lamaloo

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you so much Thomas and especially John. Very interesting info about Mitch!

My mind asks myself: why did we hear nothing about it earlier?! If so, that's a real nodays sensation and a big big surprise for us, Queen lovers!

John S Stuart

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seven_Seas_Of_Rhye II: "My mind asks myself: why did we hear nothing about it earlier?!"

You should have heard about it's existence earlier, as it has been well documented for years. However, a copy coming up for sale is a completely different matter.

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I emailed the seller and asked if he "had any more copies of the rare Queen cd with Barry Mitchell on Bass" here is hois reply:

yes i do. I am Barry Mitchell and I am offering them signed by myself. Good luck with the bidding

So that's not a source close to Barry Mitchell, it is Barry Mitchell selling the cd's. I don't wanna come across as a fanboy and ask questions about early queen (like the hendrix covers and the early sound, the way they jammed together or what songs that weren't released but they wrote, I could have a million of them) so I'm not gonna do that I'm just gonna leave the guy alone and let him sell the cd's.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and the bass in the picture appears to have FIVE strings

go deo na hÉireann
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6374 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Looks fake to me.

so it is a fraud ... Is it fake too?

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

and the bass in the picture appears to have FIVE strings

Five strings?? On a Bass??

Wow, it must be fake then

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
John S Stuart

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thomas: Why not write to Barry personally - via "Ask seller a question" on e-bay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7541980376

Seller information (Right-hand box)
barlesfrank ( 11)
Feedback Score: 11
Positive Feedback: 100%
Member since 12-Jun-03 in United Kingdom

Read feedback comments
Add to Favourite Sellers
*** Ask seller a question ***

As kdj2hot suggests; ("I am Barry Mitchell and I am offering them signed by myself. Good luck with the bidding"). This is indeed THE Barry Mitchell. You can't get any closer a source than that!

John S Stuart

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because I have a copy of this tape. I interviewed him about 10 - 12 years ago. Why not write to him - and ask about Queen - find out for definate that he DID not play in the Studio!

It is HIS tape - HIS PERSONAL property. It is his only reminder of his time in the band. No photographs exist.

He even plays the same bass licks still.

I agree, it could be a Rock 'n Roll Medley from ANY gig, but Barry is not a Queen collector, nor would he wish to pass off another's work as his own!

You seriously think he is going to sell a fake tape?

Barry is not selling the original tape - but CD copies - if anyone is interested. I think that his idea is that it is better to sell 100 signed discs @ a reasonable bid, than a single, solitary master for £300 or £400 quid.

Come on Thomas - that's got to be worth a few dollars of even your hard earned cash!

But do not let me convince you. Write to him direct!

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For the uninitiated, bass guitars can gave anything from two strings (Nikki Sixx) to eight strings (Nathan East)

Are we forming an orderly queue to buy this then? No outbidding each other, first to each new auction gets it?

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart, and you kept silence that you have this rarity! :-)))

John S Stuart

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seven_Seas_Of_Rhye II: "John S Stuart, and you kept silence that you have this rarity! :-)))"

No - I posted a similar article on Barry a few years back - I don't recall if that was before "the crash" or after - but I may still be available via the search button.

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=428634

But it still pisses me off that some will insist - In spite of the first Queen Studio recordings (or De Lane Lea sessions) actually included Mr Deacon (NOT Mr Mitchell) and even Barry will conceded that he did NOT record studio material with Queen - that Barry Mitchell plays bass on tracks like "Silver Salmon" or "Polar Bear", can I finally point out this is NOT so, and that this recording, is the ONLY Queen material to feature Barry on bass.

Posted: 28 Aug 05, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree. Yes, that's only record we can hear him on bass with Freddie, Brian & Roger. Who disagree?

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 06:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

For the uninitiated, bass guitars can gave anything from two strings (Nikki Sixx) to eight strings (Nathan East)

QUOTE]

it was merely an observation on my part - because i didn't relaise they could have an 'odd' number of strings

i've heard of 2/4/6 string bass - but never five - it seemed strange

go deo na hÉireann
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can get 12-string basses as well.

John Paul Jones uses one.

And 5-string basses are no more unusual than 7-string guitars are, as used by Steve Vai for example.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 15:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks like some people aren't patient enough to wait their turn, which is good news for Mr Mitchell.

Personally, I won't be outbidding anyone.

bazmitch user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi people. Interesting to see the speculation about my recording.Listen to John , he knows the truth. Yes it is the only existing recording of me with Queen.And John, of course I look older. The only picture you have probably seen of me was taken 35 years ago. I still had hair!If any of you get hold of my recording I hope you enjoy it.Glad to make it available for you guys.

regards Barry Mitchell