Forums > Queen - General Discussion > why Queen+ Paul Rodgers suck in the US

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since when was Paul Rodgers so big in the US? I'm 27 and I don't know anyone my age who has even heard of him. Regardless of whether he was popular at one point, it appears that his music has not really withstood the test of time.

On the other hand, if you go around and talk to most young Americans, I can assure you that the only thing that they know about Queen (assuming that they know anything at all) is the name "Freddie Mercury". After all, Freddie really was the star of Queen. That is why people most people remember him and not the other three members. Every once in a while I will run into someone who also knows the name "Brian May", but it is not as common. He is not even in the almanac or under www.biography.com. Let's face it, Freddie is what most people know and remember about the band. Furthermore, it is worth asking why, if Brian and Roger are the equivalent of Queen, they have they not produced anything of significance in the past 15 years.

Because it can be argued that Freddie=Queen, it is definitely reasonable to argue that the current Queen+ Paul Rodgers tour is nothing more than what most Americans know it to be: a huge joke.

My final comment involves the fact that it is really annoying to hear Europeans complain about Americans' lack of taste in rock music. After all, we INVENTED rock and roll back in the 1950s. OK, it was actually mostly black Americans who invented it, but without them, there wouldn't be any rock and roll at all!







--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tiffany

L.Cooper user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 00:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What you say is true. But one thing you didnt mention. The U.S could not get over the fact that Freddie was gay. And I'm sure thats why Freddie and the rest of Queen, turned their backs on the U.S as well in the 80's. I dont blame them.


Elijah Griffith 11/10/2002-1/18/2005..In the arms of Angels, fly away.........
Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 01:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To L. Cooper,
Yeah, I have to agree that it really is too bad that the US is such a homophobic country. On the other hand, I think that you make a good point to further support my overall argument when you bring up the issue of Queen's lack of success in the US during the 1980s. Ultimately, this is basically the logic that Americans used when they dismissed Queen at that point (when AIDS was emerging):

Queen = Freddie Mercury

Freddie Mercury = gay

therefore, Queen = gay

This is true regardless of whether the other 3 members in the band say that they are straight.

At least the US gives Freddie the credit that he deserves for being the most important member of the band though.


Because it could be aruged that Freddie Mercury is the essence of Queen, many legitimate Queen fans may wish to boycott the "Queen" + Paul Rodgers concerts out of respect for the real star of the band.

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Your statement perfectly demonstrates American ignorance. Those Europeans that annoy you who are reading this are laughing at you. You just made us Americans look even dumber than before with your ignorant thread.

1. I'm 4 years older than you, granted, but I am pretty sure at least 70%(likely more) of your age group have heard of Bad company and know the songs 'Feel Like Making Love', 'All Right Now' and 'Shooting Star'. I'm speaking around our age. People in their 40's and 50's know Bad Company + Free very well because they were a very successful and popular band.

2. A pathetic thing about America is our attention to flash and charisma and how it influences our thinking. A wonderful songwriter/singer like Siouxsie Sioux can write and play her talents incredibly, but she could scarcely outshine a mediocre talent like Britney Spears. Why? Figure that one out. In your case, you are pointing out how Freddie is the whole band to us(actually, not intelligent Americans I will note). Intelligent people might think that one of those quiet, less flamboyant guys supporting Freddie might have something to do with the creating the music as well. And I am pretty sure Queen would be a tad bit different in sound if they went with another guitarist who did not invent the Red Specal/Brian May sound(not to mention Deacon contributing his amp to the mix). Freddie is no doubt the most noticed, but this isn't a popularity contest, it's music. What can't be replaced musically is Mercury's contribution to the band's creativity(I'd guess that covers no more than 35% of the total creative output of Queen), Freddie's piano and keyboard playing and above all, his voice. Just because you judge a book by it's cover, that doesn't mean the rest of us do. May and Taylor have collectively contributed more to Queen's music than Freddie, they just are nowhere near as noticeable on the stage or on camera.

3. "Because it can be argued that Freddie=Queen..."

Oh yeah, you can totally argue that. I could argue with you that we should legalize rape. Anyone can argue about anything, but that doesn't mean that they are even close to accurate with their argument. The only good argument is that you couls say Freddie is glaringly the image of Queen and the leader presence(frontman) of their live ventures. Do you think in the United States that President Bush is the government?

4. "My final comment involves the fact that it is really annoying to hear Europeans complain about Americans' lack of taste in rock music. After all, we INVENTED rock and roll back in the 1950s."

Yeah dude, we also invented VHS players which are no longer even made in the United States. The white man invented basketball which is dominated by blacks. The "annoying" point Europeans make is that this rock music we Americans invented, has been taken over and dominated by the English. The original art is almost always the worst. It's greatness comes from it's originality and uniquness at the time, but what's going to be better virtually everytime is the next evolution of that art. American rock 'n roll were the roots that bands like the Beatles, Stones and Queen sprouted from.


This tour, whether you realize it or not, is 50% of Queen touring with three very talented supporting members, a legendary vocalist that came out of their era, and a wealth of material consisting of the Queen catalogue mixed with some of Rodger's history. Give it a chance and don't jump to conclusions based on thw wrong information. I could pull out 4 quarters where 3 are old and dirty while one came shining fresh off the mint. That doesn't mean that it's worth any more than 25 cents. Enough of this, I'm going WAY to long.


teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tiffmoab wrote:

To L. Cooper,
Yeah, I have to agree that it really is too bad that the US is such a homophobic country. On the other hand, I think that you make a good point to further support my overall argument when you bring up the issue of Queen's lack of success in the US during the 1980s. Ultimately, this is basically the logic that Americans used when they dismissed Queen at that point (when AIDS was emerging):

Queen = Freddie Mercury

Freddie Mercury = gay

therefore, Queen = gay

This is true regardless of whether the other 3 members in the band say that they are straight.

At least the US gives Freddie the credit that he deserves for being the most important member of the band though.


Because it could be aruged that Freddie Mercury is the essence of Queen, many legitimate Queen fans may wish to boycott the "Queen" + Paul Rodgers concerts out of respect for the real star of the band.


I assume you didn't make the high school debating team

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


Awesome reply, AmeriQueen!

Glad to read there are intelligent US-Queen fans after all ;)



NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Rodgers has always been well liked here in the US. Many of his songs are rock radio standards or were rock radio hits when released either with Free, Bad Company, The Firm(with Jimmy Page and ex-David Gilmour drummer Chris Slade), solo or The Law(which featured ex-Faces and ex-Who drummer Kenney Jones). Queen have sold 32.5 or 33 million albums here in the US which is two more than Bratney Sneers. Bratney was a teen idol whose days were numbered after turning 20. Queen and Pink Floyd will still be held in high regard in 30 years whilst Bratney will be a washed up joke!


"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
LifeKiller user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 62 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh ladies, most of the kids are not able to say the names of all four beatles!


Mars 4 ever & QueeN rocks!
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1418 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excellent post, AmeriQueen. Just excellent.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

Freddie is no doubt the most noticed, but this isn't a popularity contest, it's music. What can't be replaced musically is Mercury's contribution to the band's creativity(I'd guess that covers no more than 35% of the total creative output of Queen), Freddie's piano and keyboard playing and above all, his voice. Just because you judge a book by it's cover, that doesn't mean the rest of us do. May and Taylor have collectively contributed more to Queen's music than Freddie, they just are nowhere near as noticeable on the stage or on camera.


Both you and the original poster make some very valid points, but the bottom line is, from the perspective of an average music fan, Freddie Mercury was Queen.

LifeKiller wrote:

oh ladies, most of the kids are not able to say the names of all four beatles!


But overall, the number of people who can name all four Beatles far exceeds the number of people who can name all four Queen members.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
LifeKiller user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 62 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


LifeKiller wrote:

oh ladies, most of the kids are not able to say the names of all four beatles!


But overall, the number of people who can name all four Beatles far exceeds the number of people who can name all four Queen members.





And the Stones? Mick and Keith, no-one else! U2? bono and The Edge, no-one else!




Mars 4 ever & QueeN rocks!
queen44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its always the lead singer who gets most of the atention and is the most popular

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hear Bad Company and Free on the radio more than Queen lately.

And not many young teens know of Queen, but older adults from the 80s, and before, will know.

Actually, Freddie did a lot more than Roger in Queen. Freddie basically re-did everything Roger and John made. The only big gigantic hits of Rogers... "Radio GaGa"... and "A Kind Of Magic"... Freddie has said he re-did them both. And other members said the same thing.




"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen44 wrote:

its always the lead singer who gets most of the atention and is the most popular


Not in AC/DC.


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
groover user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen44 wrote:

its always the lead singer who gets most of the atention and is the most popular



AC/DC

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

groover wrote:

queen44 wrote:

its always the lead singer who gets most of the atention and is the most popular



AC/DC


lol


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
groover user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oops, didnt see ur post. Great minds eh?

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

groover wrote:

oops, didnt see ur post. Great minds eh?


:P We think alike and know music, thats for sure! :)


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
TarHeelDDS2005 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with both the long posts. I am a US Queen fan and see that their popularity isn't obviously what it once was, and that is because of the whole 'gay image' that Freddie brought along with it, whether he or you or anyone like it or not. Plain and simple. Queen seems to go up and down in popularity here in the USA since 1992. Right now I would have to say they are on an upswing somewhere. But it doesn't help them that they don't try to promote themselves here or release any meaningful stuff. I watch the news ALL THE TIME and have barely heard a damn thing on WWRY Las Vegas or the 2 new upcoming shows. Look how much popularity they get in Rolling Stone. Everytime they do their little polls on the top 100 of this and that Queen is rarely ever in it. Why? You would think they would be unbiased? Who the hell knows. I am sure there is alot to do with it.

I live in the South and here Queen on the radio all the time while I'm in clinic or in the car driving. Every single day on 1 particular radio station. WWRY/WATC was on yesterday while I was driving home (a 15 minute drive), Killer Queen was on the radio Friday afternoon, and Fat Bottomed Girls was on this afternoon while I was driving home.

So, what am I trying to say? Hell if I know! I forgot a long time ago.

TarHeelDDS2005 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn there was a lot of typo's! Anyway, I don't feel that Q+PR sucks in the USA. I think that 50% of Queen is better than nothing, and if you don't like it, get the hell off this website and don't see the shows! I only hope that I can see at least one show next year.

Basically, about that mind-numbing rant earlier...Queen needs to do a better job promoting themselves over here. Get their name and let people know they are touring again. How in the hell can all the older casual Q and PR fans know this? I haven't seen anything about the Return of the Champions CD/DVD release. Have you?