Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > U.S. Album Rock Chart Success

forum rss feed
Author

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's something interesting I'd never known about before. After visiting this site: http://www.classicqueen.com

If the chart information is accurate, then Queen had pretty good success in what they call the 'Album Rock' charts in Billboard. This would be tracks that don't have to be released as singles, but which got airplay on 'Album Rock' type stations, which aren't restricted to just 'top 40' type singles airplay.

This confirmed my memories of hearing "Innuendo" all the time in early 1991 when it wasn't even a single here :)

You can check out the full charts on that site, but here's the listing of just 'Album Rock' I extracted from it:

Under Pressure # 7
Body Language # 19
Put Out The Fire # 15
Calling All Girls # 40
Life Is Real # 57
Radio Ga Ga # 22
Hammer To Fall # 35 (or 57, two numbers are shown)
Tear It Up # 52
One Vision # 19
I Want It All # 3
Innuendo # 17
Headlong # 3
The Show Must Go On # 40
I Can't Live With You # 28
Bohemian Rhapsody (1992) # 16

And even Brian's 'Driven By You' made # 9

This makes me feel better about Queen in America. I'm happy to know that while top 40 success may have eluded them in later years, they were getting strong enough airplay for even lesser-known tracks.


This also proves that Hollywood could have come up with a 'Greatest Hits II' for the U.S. instead of their freaky Greatest Hits/Classic Queen discs.

Grantcdn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only ones I was really surprised by were Life Is Real and Tear It Up as I don't recall ever hearing them on the radio....

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

#35 on the rock charts was in 1992 when it was re-released as a single in the USA.

#57 was the first release on the single, in 1984.

According to reports, it gets a lot of airplay in the state of Massachusetts and many people know the song, just from listening to the radio.

The Bohemian Rhapsody is actually 'The Show Must Go On / Bohemian Rhapsody' double a-side cassette. Remember, The Show Must Go On was the first track on the cassette that is played.

There was a promo single of 'Innuendo' sent to radio stations across the USA, in which many of them liked the song, so they played it... it was mixed in with newer 90's artists, not classic rock... since it was a new song. You won't hear much of Queen's 89/91 songs since it's too new for classic rock stations.

TOTAL QUEEN SINGLES CHARTS

1975 - Killer Queen - Pop Singles - #12
1976 - Bohemian Rhapsody - Pop Singles - #9
1976 - You're My Best Friend - Pop Singles - #16
1977 - Somebody To Love - Pop Singles - #13
1977 - Tie Your Mother Down - Pop Singles - #49
1978 - It's Late - Pop Singles - #74
1978 - We Are The Champions - #Pop Singles - #4
1979 - Bicycle Race - Pop Singles - #24
1979 - Don't Stop Me Now - Pop Singles - #86
1980 - Another One Bites the Dust - Black Singles - #2
1980 - Another One Bites the Dust - Club Play Singles - #2
1980 - Another One Bites the Dust - Pop Singles - #1
1980 - Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Pop Singles - #1
1980 - Need Your Loving Tonight - Pop Singles - #44
1980 - Play The Game - Pop Singles - #42
1981 - Flash's Theme aka Flash - Pop Singles - #42
1982 - Body Language - Black Singles - #30
1982 - Body Language - Club Play Singles - #62
1982 - Body Language - Mainstream Rock - #19
1982 - Body Language - Pop Singles - #11
1982 - Calling All Girls - Mainstream Rock - #40
1982 - Calling All Girls - Pop Singles - #60
1982 - Life Is Real (Song For Lennon) - Mainstream Rock - #57
1982 - Put Out The Fire - Mainstream Rock - #15
1984 - I Want to Break Free - The Billboard Hot 100 - #45
1984 - It's a Hard Life - The Billboard Hot 100 - #72
1984 - Radio Ga-Ga - The Billboard Hot 100 - #16
1985 - One Vision - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #19
1985 - One Vision - The Billboard Hot 100 - #61
1986 - A Kind of Magic - The Billboard Hot 100 - #42
1989 - I Want It All - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #3
1989 - I Want It All - The Billboard Hot 100 - #50
1991 - Headlong - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #3
1991 - I Can't Live With You - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #28
1991 - Innuendo - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #17
1992 - Bohemian Rhapsody - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #16
1992 - The Show Must Go On - The Billboard Hot 100 - #2
1992 - Hammer to Fall - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #35
1992 - We Will Rock You - The Billboard Hot 100 - #52
1992 - The Show Must Go On - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #40

TOTAL FREDDIE MERCURY SINGLES CHARTS

1984 - Love Kills - Hot Dance Music/Club Play - #44
1984 - Love Kills - The Billboard Hot 100 - #69
1985 - I Was Born to Love You - Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales - #38
1985 - I Was Born to Love You - The Billboard Hot 100 - #76

... according to my sister who grew up in the early 90s... on mtv... said Headlong was played frequently in '91


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the additional info. I think you're missing Under Pressure unless it's classified differently being a duet.

Indeed I used to have the 1-track Innuendo promo CD. It even had the single artwork.

And we should note that "I Can't Live With You" and "Hammer to Fall" (1992) were most likely the promotional remix versions, not the album tracks.

Based on all this new info, I made a mock track list for Greatest Hits II - U.S. version, using the real GH II as a template and replacing tracks:

http://members.cox.net/queenspace/cqandgh.htm#proper

I think it would have been a nice disc :) That plus a remaster of the U.S. original 'Greatest Hits' with 3 bonus tracks, and we would have had proper hits albums here.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For some odd reason Under Pressure is mixed in the albums charts, but it does classify it as Pop Single

1982 - Under Pressure - Pop Singles - #29


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
QUEEN1985 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

#35 on the rock charts was in 1992 when it was re-released as a single in the USA.

#57 was the first release on the single, in 1984.

According to reports, it gets a lot of airplay in the state of Massachusetts and many people know the song, just from listening to the radio.

The Bohemian Rhapsody is actually 'The Show Must Go On / Bohemian Rhapsody' double a-side cassette. Remember, The Show Must Go On was the first track on the cassette that is played.

There was a promo single of 'Innuendo' sent to radio stations across the USA, in which many of them liked the song, so they played it... it was mixed in with newer 90's artists, not classic rock... since it was a new song. You won't hear much of Queen's 89/91 songs since it's too new for classic rock stations.

TOTAL QUEEN SINGLES CHARTS

1975 - Killer Queen - Pop Singles - #12
1976 - Bohemian Rhapsody - Pop Singles - #9
1976 - You're My Best Friend - Pop Singles - #16
1977 - Somebody To Love - Pop Singles - #13
1977 - Tie Your Mother Down - Pop Singles - #49
1978 - It's Late - Pop Singles - #74
1978 - We Are The Champions - #Pop Singles - #4
1979 - Bicycle Race - Pop Singles - #24
1979 - Don't Stop Me Now - Pop Singles - #86
1980 - Another One Bites the Dust - Black Singles - #2
1980 - Another One Bites the Dust - Club Play Singles - #2
1980 - Another One Bites the Dust - Pop Singles - #1
1980 - Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Pop Singles - #1
1980 - Need Your Loving Tonight - Pop Singles - #44
1980 - Play The Game - Pop Singles - #42
1981 - Flash's Theme aka Flash - Pop Singles - #42
1982 - Body Language - Black Singles - #30
1982 - Body Language - Club Play Singles - #62
1982 - Body Language - Mainstream Rock - #19
1982 - Body Language - Pop Singles - #11
1982 - Calling All Girls - Mainstream Rock - #40
1982 - Calling All Girls - Pop Singles - #60
1982 - Life Is Real (Song For Lennon) - Mainstream Rock - #57
1982 - Put Out The Fire - Mainstream Rock - #15
1984 - I Want to Break Free - The Billboard Hot 100 - #45
1984 - It's a Hard Life - The Billboard Hot 100 - #72
1984 - Radio Ga-Ga - The Billboard Hot 100 - #16
1985 - One Vision - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #19
1985 - One Vision - The Billboard Hot 100 - #61
1986 - A Kind of Magic - The Billboard Hot 100 - #42
1989 - I Want It All - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #3
1989 - I Want It All - The Billboard Hot 100 - #50
1991 - Headlong - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #3
1991 - I Can't Live With You - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #28
1991 - Innuendo - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #17
1992 - Bohemian Rhapsody - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #16
1992 - The Show Must Go On - The Billboard Hot 100 - #2
1992 - Hammer to Fall - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #35
1992 - We Will Rock You - The Billboard Hot 100 - #52
1992 - The Show Must Go On - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #40

TOTAL FREDDIE MERCURY SINGLES CHARTS

1984 - Love Kills - Hot Dance Music/Club Play - #44
1984 - Love Kills - The Billboard Hot 100 - #69
1985 - I Was Born to Love You - Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales - #38
1985 - I Was Born to Love You - The Billboard Hot 100 - #76

... according to my sister who grew up in the early 90s... on mtv... said Headlong was played frequently in '91


if they were always played on the radio, why wasn´t innuendo a great succes or great sellers in usa?. it´s so rare.




Grantcdn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Sep 05, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tear it up was the surprise for me - not Hammer to Fall..........and yes Headlong was played a lot in 1991....both that and Innuendo....really surprised how poorly Under Pressure did in the US though

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Sep 05, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEEN1985 wrote:

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

#35 on the rock charts was in 1992 when it was re-released as a single in the USA.

#57 was the first release on the single, in 1984.

According to reports, it gets a lot of airplay in the state of Massachusetts and many people know the song, just from listening to the radio.

The Bohemian Rhapsody is actually 'The Show Must Go On / Bohemian Rhapsody' double a-side cassette. Remember, The Show Must Go On was the first track on the cassette that is played.

There was a promo single of 'Innuendo' sent to radio stations across the USA, in which many of them liked the song, so they played it... it was mixed in with newer 90's artists, not classic rock... since it was a new song. You won't hear much of Queen's 89/91 songs since it's too new for classic rock stations.

TOTAL QUEEN SINGLES CHARTS

1975 - Killer Queen - Pop Singles - #12
1976 - Bohemian Rhapsody - Pop Singles - #9
1976 - You're My Best Friend - Pop Singles - #16
1977 - Somebody To Love - Pop Singles - #13
1977 - Tie Your Mother Down - Pop Singles - #49
1978 - It's Late - Pop Singles - #74
1978 - We Are The Champions - #Pop Singles - #4
1979 - Bicycle Race - Pop Singles - #24
1979 - Don't Stop Me Now - Pop Singles - #86
1980 - Another One Bites the Dust - Black Singles - #2
1980 - Another One Bites the Dust - Club Play Singles - #2
1980 - Another One Bites the Dust - Pop Singles - #1
1980 - Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Pop Singles - #1
1980 - Need Your Loving Tonight - Pop Singles - #44
1980 - Play The Game - Pop Singles - #42
1981 - Flash's Theme aka Flash - Pop Singles - #42
1982 - Body Language - Black Singles - #30
1982 - Body Language - Club Play Singles - #62
1982 - Body Language - Mainstream Rock - #19
1982 - Body Language - Pop Singles - #11
1982 - Calling All Girls - Mainstream Rock - #40
1982 - Calling All Girls - Pop Singles - #60
1982 - Life Is Real (Song For Lennon) - Mainstream Rock - #57
1982 - Put Out The Fire - Mainstream Rock - #15
1984 - I Want to Break Free - The Billboard Hot 100 - #45
1984 - It's a Hard Life - The Billboard Hot 100 - #72
1984 - Radio Ga-Ga - The Billboard Hot 100 - #16
1985 - One Vision - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #19
1985 - One Vision - The Billboard Hot 100 - #61
1986 - A Kind of Magic - The Billboard Hot 100 - #42
1989 - I Want It All - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #3
1989 - I Want It All - The Billboard Hot 100 - #50
1991 - Headlong - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #3
1991 - I Can't Live With You - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #28
1991 - Innuendo - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #17
1992 - Bohemian Rhapsody - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #16
1992 - The Show Must Go On - The Billboard Hot 100 - #2
1992 - Hammer to Fall - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #35
1992 - We Will Rock You - The Billboard Hot 100 - #52
1992 - The Show Must Go On - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #40

TOTAL FREDDIE MERCURY SINGLES CHARTS

1984 - Love Kills - Hot Dance Music/Club Play - #44
1984 - Love Kills - The Billboard Hot 100 - #69
1985 - I Was Born to Love You - Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales - #38
1985 - I Was Born to Love You - The Billboard Hot 100 - #76

... according to my sister who grew up in the early 90s... on mtv... said Headlong was played frequently in '91


if they were always played on the radio, why wasn´t innuendo a great succes or great sellers in usa?. it´s so rare.




There's a difference between big sellers and big players.

The single to Innuendo wasn't even released in the USA, except on a promo cd (radio stations only)... and the album actually got gold. The difference between Queen albums and other albums, is while Queen albums may not sell a lot at once, they are on the charts a lot longer than other bands and than in other countries. There are Queen singles and albums that are on the charts longer in the USA, but charted better in the UK... it just depends on


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Sep 05, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Grantcdn wrote:

Tear it up was the surprise for me - not Hammer to Fall..........and yes Headlong was played a lot in 1991....both that and Innuendo....really surprised how poorly Under Pressure did in the US though


Yeah Under Pressure, at 29.

Bicycle Race & Fat Bottomed Girls at ... 24. To be honest, Under Pressure, Fat Bottomed Girls, and Bicycle Race are common to hear on US radio, despite their charting positions.

Sometimes I hear Under Pressure twice in a day on the radio.


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
QUEEN1985 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Sep 05, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote




hello.

bicycle race wasn´t a great succes in usa, but it made of the album "jazz" a great succes there.

news of the worls was 4 platinum award in usa.

and i keep without understanding why innuendo wasn´t a great succes in usa. because ussually songs which have hard playing on radio, make of an album a great sellers in a country. but i don´t know.

thank you for your answrs.



Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Sep 05, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEEN1985 wrote:



and i keep without understanding why innuendo wasn´t a great succes in usa. because ussually songs which have hard playing on radio, make of an album a great sellers in a country. but i don´t know.

thank you for your answrs.



I know what you mean. Well, Innuendo was on the charts for a long time, it didn't sell a whole bunch in one day, but it was selling moderatly daily. Headlong was #3 on the rock charts but the single hardly sold.

Same with News Of The World... it wasn't a #1 album, but it sold a lot because it was on the charts a long long time.


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
QUEEN1985 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Sep 05, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote




do you know the exact number of copies that innuendo sold in usa and the rest of the world?

thank you for your answer.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEEN1985 wrote:




do you know the exact number of copies that innuendo sold in usa and the rest of the world?

thank you for your answer.


I don't have that answer, but it's a great question. Someone must know on this site.

There's always this page for other facts though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innuendo_(album)


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
QUEEN1985 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote




hello.

i think that innuendo must have sold a very good number of copies, but idon´t know.

in some places it says that in italy it was 20 platinum award, or 2 millions copies.

thank you for the page.

QUEEN1985 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote




hello.

i think that innuendo must have sold a very good number of copies, but idon´t know.

in some places it says that in italy it was 20 platinum award, or 2 millions copies.

thank you for the page.