Forums > Personal > Petrol prices

forum rss feed
Author

Sir Archie Leach user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 111 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Will soon be hitting the £1 a litre barrier.

Disgraceful.

The sooner somebody invents a teleportation device the better. Or have the oil companies bought the technology and suppressed it just to annoy me?

Time to buy a horse.

Darling39 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Petrol, or gasoline as we call it in the states is going to an historic mark here as well. It's going to hit $3 a gallon, although when I did the conversion, I found I shouldn't be bitching about it. You guys pay the equivalent of $6.81. OUCH. Nevertheless, it's shitty business.

flash00. user not visiting Queenzone.com
flash00.
Royalty: 1424 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 19:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you know it getting a joke here in the UK on fuel prices as other things. i believe the fuel in USA is really cheap is it not?

oo la la
dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a joke here too. My 1300cc car is costing about NZ$60 to fill, this time last year it was about $40. The government put a 5c tax on it for some roads a year or so ago, before prices started going crazy, and next year another 4c carbon tax is going on it. They're refusing to do anything about it.

We'll see come the September 17 election...

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 29 Aug 05, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unfortunately, we are feeling the effects of the failed energy policies of Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George Bush Sr, and Bill Clinton hitting the world square in the gonads....

The alternative sources, especially automotive wise, should have been heavily invested in 20-30 years ago, to that end, especially in the 90's, when the technology was readily available.

It is convenient to blame the worlds current leaders for this, but the fault lies in the past.
I guess that Clinton was too busy covering his ass, Reagan was too busy selling weapons, Bush Sr. was too busy saying "Not Gonna Do It", and Carter was just a fucking tool.....

"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"

Sean Connery

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't your fuel in the US the equivalent of about 89 NZ cents? I read an article the other day that it isn't taxed as much as anywhere else because the politicians know the people won't stand for it.

All right for some. Our politicians know that we don't have any choice but to put up with it if we want to keep driving.

Mrs.Taylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1466 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The prices here are horrific at the moment. I don't usually take much notice I need petrol to get around so regardless of how much it is, I have to have it.

When I bought my 1300cc car in April 2004, it took £27.30 to fill her up. Gradually that cost has crept up and up and this last time, it cost me £30.00 :( It took £13.00 on Sunday to fill her up just from 3/4 of the tank which is even worse. I had an email at work recently suggesting we boycott such as BP and Esso (who are being taken over by BP anyway) as they're the ones keeping the price up - at present BP are at 93.9 a litre near where I live.

But to catch the bus every day, only halfway to work (I walk the rest of the way) would cost me approx £60.00 a month whereas for the most part I'm in the car a total of 30 minutes there and back, and with all the other costs involved it's stupid leaving the car at home to use the bus, as much as I advocate the use of public transport.

Yes, it's me. I'm back.

I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on a disk somewhere
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gas rising in my area today. My friend who is Jamaican and owns a gas station asked me to check another store's gas prices... $2.53 a gallon, it'll be up today since they both got gas today at the same place, and it's gonna be UP.. the Jamaican is rising his price (he's at $2.49) due to the fact he's two pennies below any profit. On average, a gas station makes a penny per gallon. If someone stole 20 bucks of gas, image how many gas tanks he'd have to fill to add the penny per gallon to reach 20 bucks? Thus is why it's very bad to steal gas!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 19:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

Unfortunately, we are feeling the effects of the failed energy policies of Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George Bush Sr, and Bill Clinton hitting the world square in the gonads....

The alternative sources, especially automotive wise, should have been heavily invested in 20-30 years ago, to that end, especially in the 90's, when the technology was readily available.

It is convenient to blame the worlds current leaders for this, but the fault lies in the past.
I guess that Clinton was too busy covering his ass, Reagan was too busy selling weapons, Bush Sr. was too busy saying "Not Gonna Do It", and Carter was just a fucking tool.....

Actually when Bill Clinton was president, the economy was great and so were the gas prices. I remember the winter in 2001/2002 I think it was, maybe 2000/01... the gas price was near $1 a gallon. That'll never happen again!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

Actually when Bill Clinton was president, the economy was great and so were the gas prices. I remember the winter in 2001/2002 I think it was, maybe 2000/01... the gas price was near $1 a gallon. That'll never happen again!

How much of that economic windfall of the mid to late 90's did Clinton invest in new refinerys? How much did he invest in new technology to eliminate our dependence of foreign oil?

Maybe.....zero??? Same goes for his predecessors. It has been over 30 years since a new refinery has come online in the US. That, quite simply, is shameful.

"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"

Sean Connery
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 30 Aug 05, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is a gallon to a litre?

We're paying $1.23 per litre over here.

I'm intending to grow wings. Denny Laine will help me.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 02:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The patrol prices here in Holland are mad.... I pay 1,34 euro à litre fuel. That's 65,- euro to fill (40 litre).

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
Mr Drowse user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 791 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This morning I managed to get gas for 1.32 Euro per litre. Which is very expensive but they said that the prices are still rising :(
I guess I'll get a horse too ;)

Feed the Phoenix :)
Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

iGSM wrote:

What is a gallon to a litre?

We're paying $1.23 per litre over here.

I'm intending to grow wings. Denny Laine will help me.

Typical, losing the Ashes series and the brain goes numb......

There are 4.54 litres to a UK gallon (8 imperial pints).

Current exchange rate, according to Yahoo, is £1 = $2.39AUS

A litre of petrol in the UK is about $2.24AUS, therefore a gallon is $10.17AUS

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just waited in line to pay $2.99 a gallon...thanks to the Hurricane Katrina. Some stations are out of gas apparently, but I haven't seen this yet.

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here in Baltimore County, Maryland, USA, yesterday, the price of the Lowest grade, as well as mid grade and premium, officially cracked and went over $3.00 gallon even for crap gas like Hess.

Last night the Exxon down the road charged for mid grade, $2.84. This morning, it had jumped to $3.15!

xyz
Queenleaf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1381 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know of someone filling up their RV and it cost like, $165 or something!

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it.

-Sir Thomas Beecham to a lady cellist
Sharron .G user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 31 Aug 05, 22:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How many of you ACTUALLY believe there is a "gas shortage?"

Not I.

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 00:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's no SHORTAGE as such - we've only used about half of the world's fuel supply. It's just that the second half is much harder to get at.
My boyfriend knows someone who makes his own diesel out of something or other (I lost track when it got technical) and it costs him about 30 cents a litre to make. Diesel here has just topped a dollar for the first time in NZ history.

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 01 Sep 05, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, let's do it. The Dutch petrol prices:

The price here is 1,47 euro á litre... 1 (American) gallon is 3,8 litre. 1,47 * 3,8 = 5,59 euro á gallon.

1 euro = $1,22.. So one gallon regular costs here $6,81!!!

So please don't complain ;)

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY