Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Taylor vs Bonham

forum rss feed
Author

osmun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What are your thoughts on these two drummers? Which one is better? Im positive its an eazy choice, john bonham wins by miles. He is only known for Moby Dick, but he has the best bass drum control of any drummer ever? He is faster and more creative i think. And his style is so unique that noone can ever copy. This is completely without bias, its just the truth.

adf

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Bonham from led zeppelin.. my god.

adf
thePresence user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my personal opinion, you cannot compare the two. each have their own unique thing about them.

-"BETTER TO BURP AND TASTE IT THAN TO FART AND WASTE IT!"

- FOUR WORDS:"MMM, DAT PEEL GOOD!"

-"GOT FRUIT?"

-QUEEN RULES! ANY QUESTIONS?

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thePresence wrote:

my personal opinion, you cannot compare the two. each have their own unique thing about them.

I can. I respect what Bonham did...but I am NOT a fan and think he spent more time showboating and bashing the skins rather than serving the song and elevating the song and the rest of the band...which Roger DOES do.

I think Roger Taylor is incredibly underrated and one of the greats as drummers and percussionists go. He ALWAYS serves the song and the band as a whole.

Roger for me.

xyz
JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Taylor and Bonham were the best drummers of the seventies. They were really great and powerfull. The great and difficult thing in technique of Taylor is his accent with his hi-hat when he is hitting the snare. Bonham has a great bassdrum technique.

So : they were both great

muttley15 user not visiting Queenzone.com
muttley15
Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

in the 80s and 90s Roger wins hands down!!!

Seriously, both are fantastic drummers. However, I've never seen Bonham sing whilst hitting the skins during a classic such as 'I'm in love with my car'.......so for me its RMT!

listen to the breeze, whisper to me please, don't send me to the path of nevermore.......
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JDL2nd wrote:

I think Taylor and Bonham were the best drummers of the seventies. They were really great and powerfull.

errrrrr - don't think so

Keith Moon - by about 100 miles!!!!

go deo na h√Čireann
Drummer imense! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Drummer imense!
Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmmmmmmm they are both totaly imense in different ways, because if you listen to moby dick its so melodic and well controled, especially as he can use both of his feet so well no matter what his hands are doing. Although roger taylor is far more of a melodic player all round because he doesnt put fills in at pretty much every oppertunitie, and when he does its controled and kool!

So i cant decide i think they are both wicked- bo!

I'm not a river or a giant bird, that soars to the sea, an if i'm never tied to anything i'll never be free!
Oszmercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, first, there's a lot of music apart of queen outthere, now, BONZO is the man, he was a fast, inventive and versatil drummer, zeppelin after his death split, so, that tell you a lot about mr bonham.
Taylor in my opinion is a good drummer, very efficient and very smoth, he knows how to rock, but this is my point of view.

OSZTOP

BONHAM (ZEPPELIN)
KEITH MOON (THE WHO)
and the rest!

Loser in the end!!!
Gordie Howe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 368 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bonham was fast and had fast feet. But he beat the hell out of his set.

Roger on the other hand has great timing and hes pretty fast him self, but whenever he does a fill in a few songs, it sounds like he overshoots the fill a little and loses tempo with the song.

Well here's my counter-offer... do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever loving shit out of you?
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 03 Sep 05, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Both Brian and Roger have said that Bonham is "the bible." Different style, both great, and perfect for their respecive bands. Keith Moon was amazing also.

You know, good times are now.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 05, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FightFromTheInside wrote:

Bonham was fast and had fast feet. But he beat the hell out of his set.

Roger on the other hand has great timing and hes pretty fast him self, but whenever he does a fill in a few songs, it sounds like he overshoots the fill a little and loses tempo with the song.

Totally agree. Bonham > Taylor, any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Roger is a great drummer, but he is nowhere near the abilities of the one and only John Bonham.

muttley15 wrote:

in the 80s and 90s Roger wins hands down!!!

Well, no shit - Bonham died in 1980.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
mercuryqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 05, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well could Bonham sing as high as Taylor? I think not. This is such a obvious answer... and you know what the response will be. You are on a Queen message board. Its gonna be Taylor. Go to a Zepplin Message board if you want Bonham to win. Bonham kicked ass, but Taylor wins by a country mile.

"Fuck today. Its tomorrow" - Freddie Mercury

Posted: 04 Sep 05, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

then why has bonham gotten the most yes votes? Its not a singing match, so i dont care how high he can sing.

adf
poltergeist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 05, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bonham is clearly ahead. He's in the top of the "best of" cathegory. Roger, on the other hand, is not.

claudiox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 05, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm in accord with Arlene R. Weiss and The hero in the facts that RT serves much more the band and I love the rithmic way RT rocks and the hi-hat-accent "tip".
Roger had a great capability with his voice, and is a lso a good music and lirycs compositor, while Bonham had not. On the other hand Roger has a kind of disgust in inventing "just-in-time" the beat.

Onestly I loved and will always love Queen sound so I keep near to me RT sound, but Bonham is universally considered the most estimated drummer of all the time.

I love Queen ! Queen still rocks with their music !
LedZep (with all the respects) NOT !

Just a few little words about a thing:
To me it seems that Queen songs had no time at all.... Like wine their songs acquire something special in time. It's like they wrote them "before their time". I don't know if you agree.

seeya
Claudio

Bob The Shrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bob The Shrek
Deity: 4014 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 05, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For technique and talent, John Bonham by a country mile.

When comparing drummers, mentioning RT's vocals is about as relevant as saying he was better looking too.

And I stil reckon Neil Peart of Rush is better than the rest.

Cleveland May 24 to June 4th 2007 - I came, I saw, I fucked off home again.
DrumBrother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 223 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 05, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeff Porcaro (RIP) of Toto is my personal favourite. Jeff not only played with Toto but was probably the most sought after session drummer of all time. This meant he played with hundreds of other artists with lots of different styles. From Madonna, Steely Dan & Springsteen to Clapton, Elton & Frampton (to name but a few) Jeff stamped his wonderful style on their music. As a drummer myself he is my absolute hero, Check him out. Also lets not forget Ian Paice (Deep Purple), Cozy Powell & Ginger Baker (Cream). Roger is a wonderful drummer but is he better than Bonham????? I'm not so sure. Even Roger thinks Bonham was the best.

DrumBrother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 223 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 05, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.frontiernet.net/~cybraria/jptracks.htm Check out this list of artists that Jeff Porcaro played for.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 04 Sep 05, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This question is not an opinion matter!
It is what it is:

Taylor Vs Bonham

I only accept Taylor if you`ve fallen asleep during a Zeppelin concert. The question is not who`s your favourite player, is who`s the best!

And you can argue with every arguments on your book, but never, I mean never, you can say that Taylor was a better drumer than Bonham.

It is what it is.

Of course they were both perfect for their bands, try change Taylor for Zeppelin or Bonham for Queen and probably we wouldn`t be here today talking about these two wonderfull bands.

The same thing goes with Brian May. He`s my favourite guitar player but is it fair to say he`s the best?- No. And you can talk about feeling, harmonization, etc, Still doesn`t make him as the best player, only your favourite one.
You have Steve Vai, Holdsworth, Van Halen, etc.

As a band Queen remain unmatchable in songwriting and performing (this is a question of my personal taste because you have the Beatles, etc).

This is not the olympics and they`re not competing with each other, but lets be honest here.

Take care