Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Why did No-One But You flop?

forum rss feed
Author

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The name of the topic says it all..

Queen have always been popular in the UK and still this beautiful song didn't have any chart success over there. In other countries it dd even worse. After all it was Queen's first new song sice 1991.

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
Tero user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1012 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because it had lousy singers?

Because it's a crappy song?

Because "Queen" isn't/wasn't that popular?

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think they pushed for it to be a big hit. It performed to the public dissapointingly, like most Queen material, because of what I consider a very awful public apathy about Queen. If music was appreciated by people who think like me, Queen would be too big and too successful to many people.

No One But You is a great song that should have been recognized with massive exposure.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Top-20 isn't chart success?

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tero wrote:

Because it had lousy singers?

Because "Queen" isn't/wasn't that popular?

No!
No!
No!

Take care

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

" Because it had lousy singers?

Because "Queen" isn't/wasn't that popular?"

No.

Not really, but a pretty lame musical effort and probably the most hackneyed Queen lyrics ever.

No.

You know, good times are now.
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mainly because it was an awful heap of triteness.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
rockyracoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This song could have been a fantastic ballad, but somehow the lyrics in the second verse just don't fit the rest of the song. Or maybe I just don't get it. While Roger does a nice job with those lyrics, they don't flow with the first verse, and don't seem to have any relation to the great lyrics Brian sings in the third verse.

So while parts of the song are really great, it still leaves me scratching my head.

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The song has grown on me and once in awhile I give it a listen, mostly for what sounds like in particular, Roger's sincerity even which comes through as he sings much more than Brian to the point where it sounds as if he is tearing up just to get through the emotion and meaning of the lyrics.

But yes...it is VERY trite and heavy handed/knock you over the head treakly.

xyz
gr8kingrat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lets face it, the song blows

-dave

Queen collection Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/gr8kingrat/queen
bananawig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow!Suprised to hear such comments, I think this song is an adorable and luxurious piece of Queen. Greatful that Bri gave it to us ungrateful lot!

popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 450 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

or just maybe it was released in a CD/VHS that as some "not so known" Queen songs...and 4 or 5 hits...

but maybe...imagine that they recorded this before 1995 and included this on Made In Heaven? that idea occured to me now while wrinting this post,but just think...first single- heaven for everyone,second - no one but you,it could be a very diferent story for this beautiful song

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everyone, quit saying it's not a hit.

It was #13 in the UK, that means it was played on the TOP 20 Video... on MTV. Anything in the top 20, will be played, even things above that. Here in the USA, Headlong didn't chart (besides radio chart), but it was a highlight on MTV.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 21:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always liked No One But You...sure, the lyrics have been called cheesy before, but it just showed how much the band cared for Freddie. I think it was meant to be more of a goodbye and a sense of closure for them, rather than striving for a top chart position.

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Grantcdn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's an amazing song and the chart success shows it was successful also....to be honest people pay attention too much to the chart success as opposed to a songs longevity....No One But You makes a lasting impression not like most of the crap that even reaches number 1 because of a stupid video or because of the artists name or who they are sleeping with....and still this song did way better than a lot of other Queen songs....

The vocals are great as well.....but just listen also to how well it goes over in the musicals - fantastic! with a variety of different singers....

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 05, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Grantcdn wrote:

It's an amazing song and the chart success shows it was successful also....to be honest people pay attention too much to the chart success as opposed to a songs longevity....No One But You makes a lasting impression not like most of the crap that even reaches number 1 because of a stupid video or because of the artists name or who they are sleeping with....and still this song did way better than a lot of other Queen songs....

The vocals are great as well.....but just listen also to how well it goes over in the musicals - fantastic! with a variety of different singers....

I agree.. I could name a few songs with no chart success in the USA that are great songs

Breakthru
Princes Of The Universe
Pain Is So Close To Pleasure
These Are The Days Of Our Lives
Staying Power

... for some odd reason, all the singles Queen put out after Hot Space, were the wrong songs to put out, since other songs on the album were rock radio hits!!! LOL!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 05, 02:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

Everyone, quit saying it's not a hit.

It was #13 in the UK ...

That's exactly right. #13 isn't a huge hit, but its a hit. And a bigger hit in the UK than:

Tie Your Mother Down (31)
Good Old Fashioned Loverboy (17)
Spread Your Wings (34)
Love of My Life (live) (63)
Play the Game (14)
Body Language (25)
Las Palabras de Amor (17)
Back Chat (40)
Thank God Its Christmas (21)
Friends Will Be Friends (14)
Who Wants to Live Forever (24)
Scandal (25)
The Miracle (21)
I'm Going Slightly Mad (22)
Headlong (14)
The Show Must Go On (16)
Too Much Love Will Kill You (15)
You Don't Fool Me (17)

and it tied Hammer to Fall (13)

In that context, it holds up pretty well as a mid-sized hit. The facts don't lie.

Blow it out your ass.

Posted: 08 Sep 05, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Edit... Sorry about that.

Posted: 08 Sep 05, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

3* taylorgaga (Begg) wrote:

so it was campaigned by the fans that Queen do a new song. And was obviously not intended to go for chart success. It was a tribute song and thats it. And its a nice one aswell which did end up in the charts. Shows that the band and the fans still cared. (i think)

The SONG wasn't campaigned by the fans, the single release was.
It had already featured on the Rocks cd, and been released as a promo cd in the UK as well as a standard single in the rest of Europe.

The QP opinion even back then was that there was no profit in releasing singles in the UK, but they caved in for a couple of times just to prove it to everybody. :P

mercuryqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 08 Sep 05, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This song and These are the days of our Lives are the only Queen songs to make me cry... Well, on a regular basis that is. No One But You is a very good song. I dont know why people dont like it. It was like Brian and Roger saying goodbye (I wish John had added a bit, but im sure he helped with the Lyrics) The last verse is the saddest... You can just imagine the scene. The first time Brian, Roger and John have gotten together in a pub after Freddie died just sitting there all emotional not being able to drink with their friend ever again... it is a very sad thing to think about. I mean, no of us actually knew Freddie personally, but they did. So they made this song as a tribute to him and a goodbye. Something that will stay on this earth for all time. This is a great song no matter what anyone says. But even if it wasnt, atleast they did it... they were just paying tribute to a parted friend. Now im all sad and depressed. But oh well. Love ya Freddie

"Fuck today. Its tomorrow" - Freddie Mercury