Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Best drum solo by Roger Taylor?

forum rss feed
Author

Dear Friends user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 86 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Sep 05, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm going to have to go with the one used to finish up the BBC version of We Will Rock You (Fast). That has to be one of the best drum solos I ever heard. It's too bad casual Queen fans will never get a chance to hear it. I mean, honestly, I'll be the first to say that most drum solos don't sound like music but that one really floors me every time I hear it. Hats off to you Roger!

Anyway the wind blows...
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger did a cracking solo at the end of the impromptu at their last show, Knebworth 86. Freddie even said "nice one" afterward.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Drum solos are just as good as guitar solos!

As a drummer, I'm gonna say this obviously. But when a guitarist goes off on one, it's fine and its great. But when a drummer does it...? Just as clever, if not more. If you can engage an audience with a drum solo, you know you're good. I'm In Love With My Car is still something that mesmerises me.

Then again, two words for you... Moby and Dick.

lozitopj user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The best drum solo by Roger has to be his Drum Solo in the We Will Rock You Video, because at the end of KYA, he not only uses his toms, but also does about a 3-4 minute timpani tom drum solo. Very cool!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is a nice solo, and I do love the way he commands his timpani. But, then again, the solo from the Rainbow which links Father To Son with Keep Yourself Alive is pretty impressive.

Alot of the soloing he does is pretty tight. I like it when he lets rip at the end of songs for the big finish (like Tie Your Mother Down, Now I'm Here, most fast versions of We Will Rocks You etc) as well as the his little improv's during the jams before Dragon Attack in the late 70's/early 80's gigs.

Still, I think I'm In Love With My Car tops it off.

icmrocha (The Man From Planet Marzipan) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm in love with my car.... oh, it brings tears to my eyes =) , although it's not a solo..

But if I have to say one particular solo, I would say the one at the end of "Now I'm Here".... THAT is a solo =)

"The years have been unkind...

but kind enough!"
Donovan Yaciuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I vividly recall watching the "We Will Rock You" Montreal concert for the first time - About 30 seconds into "I'm in Love With my Car", I had an epiphany. That was hands down the coolest thing i'd ever seen. I bought some sticks the same day and i've been drumming ever since.

My favorite 'solo' is the end of "Now I'm Here" - again from the "We Will Rock You" video. I've worn that spot in my video out, watching it in slo mo so many times that the video has noticeably degragded. Thank god for DVD.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

actually i just listened to "return of the champions" and roger sounded great. A very short and sweet drum solo from him, obviously he still has it.

icmrocha (The Man From Planet Marzipan) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donovan Yaciuk wrote:

My favorite 'solo' is the end of "Now I'm Here" - again from the "We Will Rock You" video. I've worn that spot in my video out, watching it in slo mo so many times that the video has noticeably degragded. Thank god for DVD.

LOL! the same thing happened to me! but in my case, the video was the Tokio '82 one

"The years have been unkind...

but kind enough!"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GreatKingSam wrote:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Gordie Howe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 368 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 05, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What year was the BBC version? Where can I get it? If anybody has it and they want to share it just email me. My email is in my profile.

Well here's my counter-offer... do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever loving shit out of you?
Grantcdn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 05, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The best sounding one from a studio recording in my opinion is Let's Get Crazy...esp with the scream in the middle...

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 05, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FightFromTheInside wrote:

What year was the BBC version? Where can I get it? If anybody has it and they want to share it just email me. My email is in my profile.

stoatshady user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 05, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

now im here does it for me, fast as fcuk

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 05, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say the WWRY DVD which was end of KYA then his tympani solo. The Milton Keynes solo was great too as he did that whilst Brian was fixing his guitar and intro'd Under Pressure.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Teo_torriate04 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 414 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 05, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

GreatKingSam wrote:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Oh please, a drum solo on a studio album, tedious in the extreme.

You want a great drum solo look no furthur than Neal Peart on the live Rush album All The Worlds A Stage. Now he really is the 'professor on the drumkit'.

I think Roger did some great work on Fun In Space, someone's already mentioned Lets Get Crazy, a great track.

To cast aside the fury of the battle.

To turn my weary eyes for home.
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 05, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say, I quite enjoyed Rog's heart-attack dodging solo on this tour. Quite a different sound from previous efforts.....

On a related note, and I must note, it's not a solo per se, check out Keith Moon's playing on "A Quick One While He's Away" at the Strolling Bones' Rock and Roll Circus.

Available at all good record shops.

Cheers

Paul

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 05:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Teo_torriate04 wrote:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

GreatKingSam wrote:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Oh please, a drum solo on a studio album, tedious in the extreme.

You want a great drum solo look no furthur than Neal Peart on the live Rush album All The Worlds A Stage. Now he really is the 'professor on the drumkit'.

I think Roger did some great work on Fun In Space, someone's already mentioned Lets Get Crazy, a great track.

Tedious?

John Bonham is arguably the single most greatest drummer possibly ever. He was just sheer class. I'm not the biggest Zeppelin fan, although I do like em a lot (theres something about them that just doesn't do it for me as much as Queen, and I dont think Jimmy Page is as good as anyone says, but thats for another story...), but Bonham, with Jones, were just an amazing rhythm section. And if you haven't seen Moby Dick live, especially where Bonham puts the sticks down and uses his hands, you haven't seen anything yet. For all his problems in his life with drinking and what have you, he didn't let anyone down behind that kit. Fucking legend.

Whoever mentioned Let's get Crazy... spot on. I love the middle section and the finish of this song. Also, for some reason, I really like the drumming in My Country, especially when part 1 fades and part 2 comes in, I just really like it. Back to Queen, I still love the beats on The Loser In The End and More Of That Jazz. I know these aren't really solos in anyway shape or form, but its still Rog and its still class.

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 05:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, check out the Taylor Hawkins (Foo's...) drums solo at the end of Monkey Wrench on the DVD.

Love it.

JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Let there be drums is great. Probably the most difficult and best Roger ever did. Although I don't see him as a solo drummer. He is a great drummer within the song and the band. But as a solo drummer, nah no. His "solo material" isn't that difficult. It sounds very melodic but have you ever heard John Bonham, Cesar Zuiderwijk or even Phil Collins ?