Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > New Fan Song: Adam Steen - You're My Best Friend

forum rss feed
Author

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Sep 05, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Friends of the Queenzone fan cover section already know Killer Queen and Father To Son by Adam. Here is another great cover by this talented fan who performed all vocals and instruments himself.

Enjoy:)

I do not want any google ads here.

pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 05, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I prefer cover versions which try to add something new to the original or give a totally different cut of the song, I can only grind my nails and say this was good.

Although a re-creation of the original, it's a good-one. Well executed and rather professional vocal-wise. Enjoyed the harmonies.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 05, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is nothing less than excellent.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 05, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice cover. Just one pointer - less brightness in maybe the 4-5kHz area of your backing harmonies as, there tended to be a little too much SH-een! The Sean Connery factor there!

Peace,
Asdam.

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 05, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm, I'd probably give it a listen if there was a link here, but I can't be arsed to open another window. I'll try my best to remember to look for it when I'm done browsing the forum though..

Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 05, 04:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, not bad at all. My only problem with it is I kept thinking my phone was ringing.. the cymbals are terribly ringy.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 05, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, here is the link.

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/stage_of_champions.aspx

I do not want any google ads here.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 05, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam, why don't you upload something.

I've only hear you complaining about all the fan works, so i'd like to hear something from you now

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 20 Sep 05, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Adam, why don't you upload something.

I've only hear you complaining about all the fan works, so i'd like to hear something from you now

Are you serious?? I didn't complain at all. I said it was a "nice cover"! If you think my advice on how to process his backing vocals should be seen as complaining, then why?

As to doing more covers etc. - I don't know. I know I planned on remixing my old MLHBS cover. But time is a little short these days for my own stuff. I'd love to do something new, of course. If I had a band, it'd be a piece of piss! But alas, I am but a one-man-band. But you're right, I should do something. I always seem to be dealing with other peoples stuff these days. *sighs*

Peace,
Adam.

kweenqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 05, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam B, I suppose your right about the "shh-sound".
However I've seemed to mess up the mp3 in some way while converting it since the wave file sound much better. Unfortunately I didn't notice that until after I uploded it.

Hope you like it anyway, there is more to come...

/Adam S

"The bigger, the better. In everything, my dear..."
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought he *did* have something here?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey,
just had a listen. I like it - it's very trebley though. Pretty good voice, doesn't quite have the oomph when he hits the high C but still pretty good, never pitchy. Very nice.

Are those wurlitzer sounds or what? I just got a soundfont loaded with 'em and I'm dying to use the thing.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12! I'm glad you like it, The organ is a Steinberg Fender Rhodes piano.

I've sent the guys a new version of the song that's not so trebley. They will put it up soon. Like I said before, I've manage to mess up the convertion from wave to mp3...

Well, the high C note... Like Freddie once said (short version): "I use a pair of pliers under the frock". He really managed cut those very high notes like no one else. Well, perhaps Roger then...

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam was the very first contributer to the Stage Of Champions with A Winter's Tale, if I'm not mistaken. It was a great version, too.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe YV approached me for that one to start things off. And I also believe YV wanted the MLHBS cover, but I declined as I said I'd remix it. Hmm... when did the Stage o' Champions start?

I started off my singing/recording with Queen covers. Man, there are plenty in the archives, let me tell you. And very few that I'd let people hear. I'll have to have a look and see if there's anything worth putting out.

Anyway, I'm looking at redoing TMLWKY and MLHBS. I'll see if they happen. I'm starting to get that itch to do another cover!

Peace,
Adam.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised at how good this version is. Superb stuff.

And in defence of Adam B not uploading stuff - as stated he has already done so and produced a very fine version of A Winters Tale.

Cheers guys!!

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
bobo the chimp

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 03:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AHA!! Rhodes. Me and my brother-in-law were having a chat about Rhodes vs. Wurlitzer the other day.

Seriously though, good stuff and if you make any more I'll be sure to listen. :D

Koolkikiland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam,

Seriously great job on that. Loved it. That one's going in my portable mp3 player.

Dave Smith

"Some day, one day. . . "

Posted: 30 Sep 05, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Koolkikiland!

Crossed hearts version of "Long Away" is absolutely fab!
Hopefully you'll like my version of "Sail Away Sweet Sister" that's coming up real soon.

I visited the "Crossed Hearts" site and you guys got a great pop feeling! It's timeless pop! One gripe though, allthough I respect your choise of lyrics, to reach a wider audience (you definitely deserve it) perhaps you should tone down the religious message a bit. Please don't be offended by this! //Adam S

Koolkikiland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 05, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kweenqueen wrote:

Hopefully you'll like my version of "Sail Away Sweet Sister" that's coming up real soon.

Heck yeah. . . good song choice. I'm looking forward to it.

kweenqueen wrote:

to reach a wider audience (you definitely deserve it) perhaps you should tone down the religious message a bit. Please don't be offended by this!

Oh, no offense taken. That's actually a really good point. . . and we've been planning for a while to do a not-so-in-yer-face religious project to do just that, reach a wider audience. . . but we also have hardcore fans that love the heavy-duty spiritual stuff we do.. . so, I'm sure we'll end up doing both.

If you have time, I'd be curious to know what you use in your studio in terms of gear and software. email: dacsmith@iusb.edu

Peace
dave

"Some day, one day. . . "