Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen - ever biggest band in world?

forum rss feed
Author

Breadman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What periods, if any, could Queen have been considered to be the 'Biggest Band in the World'? I am guessing that any such periods would be within 1979 - 1986?

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the world? 1980-1981.

DJ's the man we love the most
Breadman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That period (80,81) would have seen them popular in America too. But I would also consider times when they were not popular in America. Like they probably could have claimed that title around the time of the Live Aid performance?

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Breadman wrote:

That period (80,81) would have seen them popular in America too. But I would also consider times when they were not popular in America. Like they probably could have claimed that title around the time of the Live Aid performance?

Considering the value of the North American market I doubt Queen could be considered the biggest band on the planet after 80/81. However it is a testament to Queen's appeal that they were so successful even without the North American market.

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wouldn't being the biggest band in the ''world'' almost necessitate that they were popular in the North American market? If so, then any period after 1982 would disqualify Queen.

Besides, 1980-1981 was not only when they were huge in North America, but also when they ''opened up'' the South American markets.

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Define "biggest".....

By biggest, could one possibly mean: "Right, let's go a country in the asshole of nowhere, show some foreign johnny a picture of the band, and see if they recognise it..." ?

Or do we mean record sales? If so why? Queen were big in South America, but not as many people could afford a big record collection.

Or do we mean popular in countries with massive populations?

America is an important market, for sure. But what is the population size of North America versus South America. The USA has a population of around 296 million. (Scary thought time: when I was at school, around 12 years ago, it was 250 million.... ever think about those resources, guys...?)

The UK has a population of around 60 million. Argentina has around 40 million; Brazil around 186 million. The band were big there.

Serry would be able to tell you how big Queen were in Russia, I presume? It has a population of around 143 million.

Did I read recently that Queen had sold more albums than the Beatles? So do we measure by that?

Or yet again, do we look at this over a thirty year cumulative period? Concert ticket sales? (in which case, Queen don't even get a look-in)

And so on and so forth.

For what its worth, I'd like to see the Beatles removed from this plinth that they have, where they are set above everybody else.

I (now this is ME before anyone jumps in to their defence...) find them over-rated, bland, un-inspiring, and quite frankly, their support comes from a thankfully fast disappearing generation of baby-boomers... but that's just my opinion!

Cheers

Paul

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, and can I just add:

This "who's best and biggest thing"....very tedious....it lowers music to a mere competition, and that's not where music deserves to be.

But again, that's just my opinion.

P

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

In the world? 1980-1981.

Pink Floyd was arguably as big or even bigger than Queen on that period.

In my opinion 1984-1986 was a period where there was no active band bigger than Queen.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote:

Oh, and can I just add:

This "who's best and biggest thing"....very tedious....it lowers music to a mere competition, and that's not where music deserves to be.

P

agreed. but have to take issue with your 'remove the beatles form plinth' thing...why? best is best - and they are the best (of all time) no-one will come close - the forged new ground that made the 'ride' much easier for bands like queen to experiment. - look at queen's influences...a major one they ALL list is Lennon/McCartney - no beatles - no queen (at leats not as we all know and loved!!!)

go deo na h√Čireann
kagezan1313 user not visiting Queenzone.com
kagezan1313
Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote:

Define "biggest".....

Or do we mean popular in countries with massive populations?

America is an important market, for sure. But what is the population size of North America versus South America. The USA has a population of around 296 million. (Scary thought time: when I was at school, around 12 years ago, it was 250 million.... ever think about those resources, guys...?)

The UK has a population of around 60 million. Argentina has around 40 million; Brazil around 186 million. The band were big there.

Serry would be able to tell you how big Queen were in Russia, I presume? It has a population of around 143 million.

Let's not forget Japan, with a population of 186 million.

All in all, I would say you'd have to divide bands into record sales and live show sales. There was no bigger live show in 1986 than Queen's Magic Tour. I would say that from 1984 to 1986, there was no bigger live band on the planet than Queen. U2 took over the spot in '87, and have held it to date.

Thank you, God bless you, sweet dreams you lot of tarts, Good-bye!

Posted: 21 Sep 05, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Zeni wrote:

In the world? 1980-1981.

Pink Floyd was arguably as big or even bigger than Queen on that period.

In my opinion 1984-1986 was a period where there was no active band bigger than Queen.

Arguably, yes. But during 1980-81, Queen had massive tours of North America, Europe, Japan, and South America, while Pink Floyd only played 4 cities in 3 countries (US, England, West Germany).

To me, to be the biggest band in the ''world,'' you have to have a sizable presence in Europe, North America, South America, and the Asian-rim. This comes through record sales, concerts, and ''media exposure.'' It's not an exact science, I know, but it's one of those situations that you can recognize even if you cannot describe it.

Queen from 1984-1986 was big, but it ignored the North American market. To make a comparison to today, Robbie Williams may be a huge star in Europe (if not the biggest), but his last album sold less than 150,000 copies in the US. There's no way you could classify him as being the biggest star in the world based on his lack of performance in the States.

And my final point - Brian May agrees with me. During the In The Studio radio program about The Game, Brian said (paraphrasing to an extent here) that if Queen was ever the biggest band in the world, it was in the fifteen seconds after Another One Bites The Dust was released.

QUEEN1985 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote:

Oh, and can I just add:

P

hello.

if we have to be honest, queen didn´t sell more albums than the beatles, but they were more weeks in uk´charts.

i think that queen was the most succesful band and the biggest between 1980 and 1995. they were sold out in all the world (and the first ever band to play in argentina, brazil, mexico, venezuela, south africa, hungary), they sold millions copies with their albums (greatest hits sold over 25 millions copies, gresatest hits 2 about 20 millions, "made in heaven" 10 millins, and more). and according to the sun "the game sold more than 2 millions copies in argentina, and it also sold about 4 or 5 millions in usa, 500.000 in canada, about 200.000 in mexico and it was a great succes in brazil.

they have some of the most played songs in the 80´, as "another one bites the dust" in usa and "radio ga-ga", "i want to break free" and other in europe.

they were the best band in live aid, and a records in sells with some of treir concerts in some countries, as hannover in germany, in ireland, swissland and uk.

and bpi gave them the contribution award in 1990, and they were the firs band to recive it.

so then in that years they were the most succeful band, but that is what i thimk.

DragonOnMyBack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 367 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 04:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Date :13th July 1985
Time :18:40 to 19:00(BST)

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes.... Queen definitely rocked this world at Live AID. At that time, they were the biggest.

Queen is surely "one of the biggest" bands in history. It's hard to name one band!!

I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
mazz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes 1969 smile larry lurex queen and beyond 1991 they rocked my world

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kagezan1313 wrote:

ok.computer wrote:

D

Let's not forget Japan, with a population of 186 million.

All in all, I would say you'd have to divide bands into record sales and live show sales. There was no bigger live show in 1986 than Queen's Magic Tour. I would say that from 1984 to 1986, there was no bigger live band on the planet than Queen. U2 took over the spot in '87, and have held it to date.

I think U2 held it for a while after 'The Joshua Tree'. Then it was definitely Guns N' Roses, Metallica, and Nirvana who took that spot during the 90s. Later on U2 took the spot back when they released 'All That You Can't Leave Behind'.

Nowdays, Green Day seems to hold the title. They have a massive world tour, constant media exposure, and 4 singles so far of their new album being air played on radio stations around the world.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QUEEN1985 wrote:

ok.computer wrote:

i think that queen was the most succesful band and the biggest between 1980 and 1995. they were sold out in all the world (and the first ever band to play in argentina, brazil, mexico, venezuela, south africa, hungary), they sold millions copies with their albums (greatest hits sold over 25 millions copies, gresatest hits 2 about 20 millions, "made in heaven" 10 millins, and more).

they were'nt the biggest on any scale during the time period you quote.

worldwide sales and tours during that period were topped by
Pink Floyd
Madonna
Springsteen
Rolling Stones
Michael Jackson
U2

check the official figures - queen are 7th (at best) - they produced nothing from 91-95. and also no new material from 86-89 (that's 7 years when there was no studio album) - also they didn't tour from 86-95 - so the period you quote has queen fairly inactive

now had you said they were the top of the crop from 78-81 - i would have been inclined to agree with you. but to state a fifteen year period is implausible - even the beatles only stayed at the top for 7 years!!!

go deo na h√Čireann
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They are the biggest band in MY world...:-)

Mr. Mercury 1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 101 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 17:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"no new material from 86-89"

Umm... did we ignore the rules here? You might want to check what year The Miracle was released, my friend. Just so you don't have to look it up, it was 1989.

Spread your wings and fly away...
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you don't know what he meant my friend? 87/88, queen had no studio albums, meanwhile, "magic" was a huge hit worldwide, that's why it makes me laugh when people kill that album, but in the states it flopped. how do you judge if it was a success then, also the miracle was a huge hit, but only minor in the states, again how do you judge if it was a success. it's hard to tell. Depends where your from.