Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Should Brian & Roger Retire Gracefully ?

forum rss feed
Author

bryans permed poodle 15069 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay ROTC live CD looks like it has flopped (as I predicted and so will the DVD). Is it time Brian and Roger took the hint and retired ?

Fair enough they managed to sell out shows with PR but they are not a supergroup and did not win over a good majority of Queen fans.

Both of them look old and silly on stage now (as even Freddie would have)

The best thing they could do for the music business now is to write some good tunes whilst sitting at home watching Richard & Judy.

Paul Rodgers - "Gimp Of The Year 2006"
Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bryans Permed Poodle wrote:

Okay ROTC live CD looks like it has flopped (as I predicted and so will the DVD). Is it time Brian and Roger took the hint and retired ?

Fair enough they managed to sell out shows with PR but they are not a supergroup and did not win over a good majority of Queen fans.

The best thing they could do for the music business now is to write some good tunes whilst sitting at home watching Richard & Judy.

Aha, but it takes time for an album to climb the charts. You just wait. But Bri, Rog and Paul haven't been doing hardly any promotional work for their new albums so I wouldn't expect them to be too popular until they start promoting their album.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 22 Sep 05, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The songs are old, save a few that no one but Queen fanatics care about. The Paul Rodgers thing is a novelty in the sense they're doing nothing new musically, it's basically a nostalgia product, so how does increased promo help this album?

You know, good times are now.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

should Brian and Roger quit their hobby because a fellow hobbyist died?

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Should BPP leave this board as promised gracefully?
C'mon- you can show A LITTLE BIT of class...

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Brian is pretty much same as always, and I think Roger is amazingly in his prime.

I think Queen + PR is nowhere near as good as old-school Queen. That being said, I also think that the gap between them and old Queen isn't quite as big as the gap between them and the next best existing band in the world. Rock used to be for the young, until the young quit evolving rock music to higher forms.

I think BM and RT should retire when they start to slip quite a bit. I don't know when that will be, but it sure the hell isn't now.

As far as their live album not doing as well, I have 3 answers.

1.) As far as I know, the country it is struggling would be the USA. What would you expect from a country that celebrates music commercially if it comes from people like Mariah Carey and Celine Dion? I know I said music reffering to their shit. I'm just trying to be nice.

2.) Is it really struggling elsewhere? I would imagine it is making huge sales in the U.K., though I could be wrong.

3.) In their usual fashion, they released an inferior performance. Queen always releases the wrong show. I think of the Milton Keynes show as very average for them, and it blows Wembley and Live Killers away. I went to the Birmingham show, and I promise you this: It was a way, WAY better show than the Sheffield one.

The bottom line is, unless you have seen the Q + PR show, your opinion is worthless. It is as good as I could have possibly imagined, with all my collection of happy thoughts. I set unrealistic expectations for what I wanted it to be. It exceeded them. Not only was the performance all it could have been, but the fact that they used PR so minimally, made my day.

One month from now, I will be seeing them in Hollywood. There is no other band ever that I would travel to see, but with Q + PR, it's a no-brainer.

Give them a chance, it's really not the same, but it is so much better than the(coldplay, Pearl Jam) type bands that have killed rock n' roll.

Mr_Bad_Guy_91 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 172 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nah they aint gonna retire
They are going to ROCK japan and usa
and welcome back poodle get ready for then next forum battle LOL

I am just a Queen Fan and the show must go on
CC1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 259 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To BPP,

We all know you dont like Paul Rodgers, and to be quite honest we dont actually care.
Brian and Roger arent doing it to please you personally, and quite rightly too. It seems they wouldnt be appreciated.
Just because the album is a flop in your eyes doent mean it isnt to the rest of us who have an 'open mind' about Paul Rodgers.

I admit the sleeve work could have done with a bit more effort.But all in all its a good album. Its a momento of the tour that some of went to and actually enjoyed.

But in answer to the original point. Its up to them what they do. Why not keep doing it. They've still got it, so why not keep rockin

Im Off To Shoot Myself If Anyone Cares .......

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cabaretcurtains1 is right

I agree :P

darkblue user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr_Bad_Guy_91 wrote:

cabaretcurtains1 is right

I agree :P

I couldn't agree more :)

AimeeBrooke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YAY KIM! exactly right. they do what they want to please people and themselves and i think they've done just that!

I want to break free!
JeroenG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 334 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why do we even react to this BPP guy?

penrose124 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its at #11 in the midweek UK charts at the moment. Hardly a failure.

tupincs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 07:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did it really flop? I don't think so. Queen plays in another leauge than Britney and other crap. Queen don't have to prove anything anymore in the charts. They had many succeses there.

BTW a live album with a nostalgic flavour would never top the Bilboard anyway. So change your expectations, otherwise you will be always disappointed.

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

being in the chart on 11th is better than not being there

:)

tupincs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's right. It shows me just more that they're still great.

LIZAWITHAZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 08:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In all honesty I really believe Brian, Roger and Paul Rodgers do not honestly care if the album climbs the charts or not. They went on tour to prove to their fans and to themselves that they still can DO IT! Good for them!

It was must have been very difficult for them without Freddie but they have no reason to despair even if the CD is a "flop".

Who gives a toss if they don't have a top 40 hit, they way pop music is today who in their right mind would want to go that route.

Please!

Credit should be given for even the attempt which took almost 20 years to accomplish and they should still be proud that they sold out most of their European shows.

Hats off, chaps! Well, done!

Cheers,
David

HELLO DARLINGS!

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes yes Well done to Brian Roger and paul and the rest of the band and their crew for all their hard work

I am sure they dont care what other people think the most thing that matters is they did it they filled up their show they ROCK and they did it brillant and to those who havent seen the show dont make silly comment about how poor they was unless you have seen it lol :)

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How can they retire? This is not their job, it's their hobby.

This can't end well.
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 05, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bryans Permed Poodle wrote:

Let`s hope that when you get to their age people don`t think the same about you!

Take care