Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Jesus Song

forum rss feed
Author

Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Sep 05, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Song "Jesus" rocks. Its from the QUEEN I album, and its underrated like a ton. Im surprised this song isnt more popular. I love the chorus, and the whole song!

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not
FreddieTheAngel user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 30 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 05, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont enjoy the huge guitar solo though. Completely random. But the harmony is fantastic, I love it being a religous guy myself.

Brian was the soul

Roger was the rock

John was the spirit

Freddie was the man
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 05, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree, this song and "My Baby Does Me" are very much underrated by Queen fans because of unclear (to me) reasons...

groover user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 05, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the tune. (My Baby Does Me not so much).
There have been threads of "least fave Queen songs" on this MB and Jesus popped up on more than one list.
The only reason I can think of is perhaps it is too much of a "classic rock" song and not experimental enuff for the average Queen fan's tastes. The extended guitar solo is a prime example of the tune blending in with the comtemporary sound of the era.
I don't buy it myself, but I don't see why else a Queen fan would not like this song.

dragonzflame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2456 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 05, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That whole song really annoys me.
Well, Freddie's voice sounds cool but it isn't enough to enable me to listen to it.

When life hands you lemons, add vodka.
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Jesus" is just all right (ha ha), you can hear some ideas that lead to "Killer Queen" in it, like the switch from verse to chorus

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Guitar riff, chorus..." Well, how about Tie Your Mother Down then? Again it's only my own opinion - but for me "Jesus" is better than TYMD.

kagezan1313 user not visiting Queenzone.com
kagezan1313
Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 19:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like the song Jesus, because considering it's writer was Zoroastrian, it seems they were just jumping on the Jesus Christ Superstar "Jesus songs are cool" bandwagon. This is in no way a flame on Christian music etc, just an opinion about this one song.

By the way, I know the movie came out in 1973, long after the song was written, but the stage show made a splash in London in the late 60's.

Thank you, God bless you, sweet dreams you lot of tarts, Good-bye!
icmrocha (The Man From Planet Marzipan) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 346 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love this song... Like the demo version more, tho.. 'cause on about 2 mins, just when you're expecting the fast part, the song continues on it's original rhythm =)

"The years have been unkind...

but kind enough!"
Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*BUMP*

sorry about that, but could you get me the demo version? that would be cool....

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not
« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jesus demo:
http://rapidshare.de/files/18405124/Jesus_demo.mp3.html

I actually love the song myself, it's indeed underrated in my opinion.
The demo version is far superior to the album version though.
I would really like to hear the live version! :-)

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kagezan1313 wrote:

I don't like the song Jesus, because considering it's writer was Zoroastrian, it seems they were just jumping on the Jesus Christ Superstar "Jesus songs are cool" bandwagon.
By the way, I know the movie came out in 1973, long after the song was written, but the stage show made a splash in London in the late 60's.

i can't actually see this as a jumping on the christianity bandwagon...i think it's just about spiritual feelings, and eyewitness accounts of Jesus' life...-remember that Jesus was a prohhet in some religions - and song fits in nicely with the other 2/3rds of the "freddie bible trilogy" - mad the swine, and silver salmon

go deo na hÉireann
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's the worst song on the first album and was probably only included to fill time. I don't like the melody or arrangement too much and it just seems a bit naive. It sounds like it might have been one of the very first songs Freddie brought to Queen & they ended up HAVING to include it as they didn't have anything else they thought was "finished".

DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

kagezan1313 wrote:

I don't like the song Jesus, because considering it's writer was Zoroastrian, it seems they were just jumping on the Jesus Christ Superstar "Jesus songs are cool" bandwagon.

i can't actually see this as a jumping on the christianity bandwagon...i think it's just about spiritual feelings, and eyewitness accounts of Jesus' life...-remember that Jesus was a prohhet in some religions - and song fits in nicely with the other 2/3rds of the "freddie bible trilogy" - mad the swine, and silver salmon

I agree...

Personally, i love the song...
It shows another side to rock, and IMO is a slap in the face to those who think that classic rock is the "devils" music....
It is a bit more boring compared to many of the other QUEEN tracks, but definalty not a bad song...
I like MBDM too... again very underrated songs...

I think ill start a thread on underrated songs.... hmmm

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DreaminQueen wrote:

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

kagezan1313 wrote:

I agree...

Personally, i love the song...
It shows another side to rock, and IMO is a slap in the face to those who think that classic rock is the "devils" music....
It is a bit more boring compared to many of the other QUEEN tracks, but definalty not a bad song...
I like MBDM too... again very underrated songs...

I think ill start a thread on underrated songs.... hmmm

The Queen album is proof that Queen invented modern Christian rock. Hahaha.

That aside, it's a nice, little song. It's not as terrible as people say, but I can't say it's that good either.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.