forum rss feed
Author

forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 157 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Sep 05, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Take a look at what Brian says about Another One Bites The Dust:

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

Just one year of love, is better than a life time alone!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 05, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's more than clear that the track was speeded up one semitone. Even one of the engineers confirmed that when they did the DTS versions. What Brian meant - imho - is that in the E Minor version Fred sang everything natural, which is still something.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 05, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed Sebastian. F minor is a very odd key for John to write in, and Fred to sing in. Long Away, '39, Hammer to Fall among others have all be sped up, do we have a complete list?

You know, good times are now.
Sebastian

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Hammer To Fall was speeded down, not up. No One But You is speeded up, one of the engineers of the DTS release said Coming Soon was as well.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You guys probably know more than me but didn't Queen play songs live in the same key as on record but with Freddie just not reaching some of the top notes?

vinny2256_ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is correct yes, except for love of my life which involved a key change live to D, probably for the convenience of the guitar. I think there is one concert from the magic tour, budapest perhaps? whereas bohemian rhapsody is performed in F#?

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If it hasn't been Thomas, every guitar I've ever owned goes a touch flat while playing it and it alone.

You know, good times are now.
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Even one of the engineers confirmed that when they did the DTS versions.

Indeed.

http://www.brianmay.com/queen/thegame/technical2.html
wrote:

This, combined with the variations in playback machines on video shoots and the necessary lip-sync for the videos, made the speed issue extremely important on the Greatest Video Hits 1 DVD. For The Game, however, being audio only, it is not so critical except for Coming Soon and Another One Bites The Dust which were significantly (and intentionally) speeded up when originally mixed.

Sebastian

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> I think there is one concert from the magic tour, budapest perhaps? whereas bohemian rhapsody is performed in F#?

It wasn't. The reason it sounds in a higher key in the video is because the entire concert is speeded up. Which turns out quite well because Hammer To Fall rocks that way.

Posted: 25 Sep 05, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it not possible that maybe the music was recorded and sped up but not the vocals? If not then Brian is wrong when he says Freddie's vocals weren't sped up.