Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie vocals - AOBTD

forum rss feed
Author

artist_nine user not visiting Queenzone.com
artist_nine
Bohemian: 124 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 05:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Referring to the story Brian wrote about AOBTD in his soapbox...

I remember reading somewhere, that AOBTD was recorded in E and speeded up so that the final recording sounds like it's played in F. Brian claims no speed changes were used. So does this mean that they recorded AOBTD in F? In concerts they always played it in E... maybe Brian doesn't remember correctly?

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=627292

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's not in E or F - precisely. I recall trying to find which key it was on (by playing it against a perfect E generated by a computer) and I swear it was just a tiny bit sharp?

In any case, it's not as though Freddie couldn't have hit it in either key. He could've done both. I reckon he coulda gone higher. (He did actually, in Was it all Worth It and The Hitman).

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aha. Just checked. It's F. Or very very close to it.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As I said, the entire recording was speeded up a semitone

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just goes to show how much we can trust Brian. What an honest guy.
I really can't stand his pride.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, Brian was lying through his teeth this time, and posted the proof on his own website!

Furthermore on the topic of Brian lying:

Recently I have gathered some concrete proof that there are overdubs on Live Killers... surely something which Brian knew about. I won't post it here, because that will ruin the surprise. Wait for my book, whenever it comes out! But I'm just letting you all know, there are overdubs, and they were planned well before the album was released.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 01:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's funny though..

Now he's got Kris saying it's only a marginal difference..
http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbsep05.html#14

when, as I pointed out previously, Justin calls it a significant change:
http://www.brianmay.com/queen/thegame/technical2.html
"...and Another One Bites The Dust which were significantly (and intentionally) speeded up when originally mixed."

Not that it matters much in the end anyway. Freddie proved himself to be a highly capable singer in the studio, and occasionally live too ;)

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Yeah, Brian was lying through his teeth this time, and posted the proof on his own website!

Lying is a bit harsh. The change was made at mixdown so no-one would've known that it was changed because it's a pretty minor change. It's between E and F for crying out loud!
And you can't expect Brian to know these kind of litte things, not because of his memory, but because these things become accepted fact over the years.

I.E. I always believed I told a band their mastering would cost them a mere £100. But then one of the members produced proof that I'd actually said £60 for the lot. That's not bad memory, it's just that I convinced myself over the weeks that I had actually said £100 for the lot.

Peace,
Adam.