Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 05:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi!
(My first topic, by the way.)

Underrated:

JAZZ
I always wondered why a lot of fans consider JAZZ one of the worst queen albums. Okay, it's a matter of style and taste, of course, but objectively there are lots of really good or at least intelligent songs. Some bad songs, too, that's right, but you can find such on every Queen album. It's not my absolute favourite album but one of the best.

Maybe you should listen to these songs one more time:
Don't stop me now (no discussion, we all agree it's one of Queen's finest moments)
Fat bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race (esp. in combination lots of fun and never boring)
In Only Seven Days (reminds me of ANATO)
Mustapha (crazy at first "sight" but unique and extremely powerful)

---

WE WILL ROCK YOU:
This song is extremely simple but it has so much power. Can you sit still while listening? IMO a masterpiece, nothing similar heard before.

---

THE FAIRY FELLERS MASTER STROKE
It's THE early masterpiece. Lyrics and music perfectly matched, the tempo changes are clever, it arranged and mixed in a very detailed and beautiful way. Maybe it's the kind of senseless lyrics that kept it from being a hit.

---

SAIL AWAY SWEET SISTER
Wonderful combination of Brian's and Freddie's vocals, very melancholic but also dramatic with the climax at the end (where Freddie sings).

Overrated:

THE MIRACLE
Relatively mainstream, complex, not very surprising rock songs. Not too much of the typical 70's orchestral sound left, not as unique as they were back then. Even a few really boring songs on the album.

---

80's HARD ROCK SONGS
I Want It All, Tear It Up, Put Out The Fire, Hammer To Fall, Was It All Worth It, Headlong, One Vision, Breakthru and likes. Too straight/simple for being something special. Easy to remember and to singalong, Freddie's vocals sometimes sound strained/forced (don't know the proper word), too heavy instrumentation in some parts. Not one song is bad, but could have sounded better in 70's Queen style.

Please compare:
One Vision - Tie Your Mother Down
I Want It All - White Man
Tear It Up - We Will Rock You
Breakthru - Flick Of The Wrist
Was It All Worth It - It's Late

What do you think is over/underrated?

Bye,
Nummer2

... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Underrated - Flash Gordon and The Works albums, John Deacon
Overrated - Tie Your Mother Down song

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 05:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Overrated- Radio Ga-Ga, We Are The Champions, Under Pressure, I Want To Break Free, We Will Rock You, 80s albums (Works and AKOM especially), Freddie as the best vocalist ever, Wembley gig, Works and Magic Tours...

Underrated- Death On Two Legs, Flick Of The Wrist, Great King Rat, Stone Cold Crazy, White Man and about 20 more great tracks from 70s, Freddie as a piano player, John Deacon, Milton Keynes gig, debut album, JAZZ definitelly...

I'll think of some more...

forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 157 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Underrated:

In The Lap Of The Gods(both), My Fairy King, Father To Son, The Millionaire Waltz and Scandal to name a few.

Just one year of love, is better than a life time alone!
D@VID user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Over-rated
All Gods People.....Hideous,too bombastic EVEN for Freddie
Breakthru,Headlong,Ride The Wild Wind.....Queen should of done better with there later rock songs
Too much reliance on synths on later albums(Was It All Worth It,Slightly Mad,All Gods People)

Under-rated
I Go Crazy.....Great Rocker
Spread Your Wings.....Awesome song
In Only Seven Days.....So simple yet so great

Hello all
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fenderick strikes again, who say's freddie's the best vocalist of all time, a great one yes, but not of all time. Fenderick wake up my man.

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

fenderick strikes again, who say's freddie's the best vocalist of all time, a great one yes, but not of all time. Fenderick wake up my man.

Mike Cunt- go play on a busy crossroads. You must be a real fan o'mine, you keep reading very carefully all my posts...
many people on this site say that Freddie was the best vocalist ever. I don't and you don't but many people on this site DO. I think as a perfect vocalist he's overrated. He wasn't. He may have been the biggest showman AND a great vocalist, but... Man, do you actually understand English? Do you know what an "opinion" is? Can you live with the fact that someone has a different opinion to yours? And why white man are generally crap in basketball? And why am I replying to someone who can't even get my nick right and himself has a surname "Cunt". I did get your nick right, didn't I...?
PS
And don't hijack a perfectly nice thread with your pathetic problems, go get a life and stop reading my posts, that'll save you few minutes of you life... Do you really wanna waste it on reading posts of some "pathetic guy"? Are you that bored? Get a girlfriend... and ask someone what to do with her afterwards...

Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Overrated - Now I'm Here. It's always the one I skip.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Underrated - Roger's solo albums (especially Fun In Space and Happiness), Jazz (and More Of That Jazz as a song), Queen as a band that didn't just make catchy singles, Hot Space, the Barcelona album to name a few things, Jesus and Son & Daughter

Overrated - The Miracle as an album, In Only Seven Days (I'm sorry, but I don't get the fuss?!), I'll come back with some more of these after I've had time to think (I think, as an overall band, rather than just a singles act, Queen are a very underrated band in general anyway).

its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Overrated Albums: The Works, A kind of magic, A night at the opera and Innuendo.

Underrated albums: Jazz, Hot Space, Flash and Live Killers.

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
The Classic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Overrated...
The Miracle, Was It All Worth It, A Kind of Magic...

Underrated...
Dragon Attack, Invisible Man, Ride the Wild Wind, White Queen, Who Wants to Live Forever...

queen44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so most of you are saying the popular song and albums are overrated and the albums and songs that werent aspopular were underrated

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen44 wrote:

so most of you are saying the popular song and albums are overrated and the albums and songs that werent aspopular were underrated

In a nutshell :P

Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How could a song like BoRhap be underrated? Or Fun It overrated??

I think a lot of queen albums deserve a closer look. Then you will discover some "long forgotten" songs that never had been popular (maybe because they've never been a single) which are really nice. Same with albums.

... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer2 wrote:

How could a song like BoRhap be underrated? Or Fun It overrated??
Yep, that's beyond me :)

Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personally don't think The Works is overrated considering the album it followed. The songs from The Works were still much better that 90% of the crap at the time.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
QueenNewcastle user not visiting Queenzone.com
QueenNewcastle
Bohemian: 255 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Underrated:

Great King Rat, Breakthru, I'm In Love With My Car, You Don't Fool Me, Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll, Coming Soon

"It's Real Honor To Be Here Tonight"

Brian May

Newcastle Metro Radio Arena

Tuesday 4th November 2008
mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Overrated: 90's Queen. I understand there were some good hits, like "Innuendo", "The Show Must Go On", and "Heaven For Everyone", but even you will admit Queen started to lose their fire in teh late 80's, with Freddie's AIDS and the band's lack of success in the US at that time.

Underrated: There's two things here:

One - Hot Space. Yes, it is one of their lackluster efforts, but for God's sake, think of it this way: It was an experimental album, something that they wanted to try on for a bit. IMO it is great, I am a huge fan of 80's music, and this is as 80's as it gets, so I like it.

Two - The Works. "Radio Ga Ga", "I Want To Break Free", "Hammer To Fall", "Tear It Up", it's all good to me. Some people like a few songs, but despise the rest of the album. How can you, though?
Usually when I hear a song or two from an album, I will buy the album and listen to all the tracks. And most of the time, I will like a lot of them. As is the case with The Works. My faves are "Tear It Up", "Machines", and "Keep Passing The Open Windows". Especially the drum opening in KPTOW. Again, it's very "80's".

There you have it.

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"
3137prof user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 116 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Underrated: Princes of the Universe, Let Me Live, Feel Like (Unreleased demo, that turned into Under Pressure)

Overrated: Killer Queen, It's A Hard Life

its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 19:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

3137prof wrote:

Underrated: Princes of the Universe, Let Me Live, Feel Like (Unreleased demo, that turned into Under Pressure)

Overrated: Killer Queen, It's A Hard Life

Ah thanks im overrated... ;P

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!