Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Jeff Beck

forum rss feed
Author

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello. Is there anybody out there who can help me with details about the Jeff Beck influence on 'Bijou'? any scale/track in particular?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 05, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wish You Were Here? Only Jeff Beck track I know really... Apart from...

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought that it was influenced by "Cause We Ended As Lovers" from the Blow by Blow album (I think). I believe the song was written by Stevie Wonder, and Beck just wrings the melody out of his guitar - stunning.

That's opinion only, though. Someone may know of a Brian quote that could correct me.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm... I think David Jones is referring to the following track...

I don't have a quote, but I do know that "Where Were You" is the prime candidate. I remember my brother came round with a cd and telling me about how Brian did Bijou because of this track. And after listening to it, it was pretty clear. It's a great track that's very similar in sound and arrangement to Bijou.

Brian put it on the Best Air Guitar album:
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=239422

The original album it came from:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000026KQ/104-2355291-8647128?v=glance

Peace,
Adam.

drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 05, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow - no doubt about it. I just listened to that track and it's obvious Brian derived (to put it nicely) Bijou from it.

Still, check out the J Beck track I mentioned if you haven't already. A landmark guitar recording.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 05, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drwinston wrote:

Wow - no doubt about it. I just listened to that track and it's obvious Brian derived (to put it nicely) Bijou from it.

Still, check out the J Beck track I mentioned if you haven't already. A landmark guitar recording.

It's on my "to do" list!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drwinston wrote:

I always thought that it was influenced by "Cause We Ended As Lovers" from the Blow by Blow album (I think). I believe the song was written by Stevie Wonder, and Beck just wrings the melody out of his guitar - stunning.

That's opinion only, though. Someone may know of a Brian quote that could correct me.

Wow!
I've not listened to that album in years. Just put on my recordplayer and... you are right! There is something in there!

That's indeed a very Beck'ish thing; the tremolo pitchting of the hight notes.

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You cannot go wrong listening to Jeff Beck. He's the reason I picked up a guitar. I heard 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers' and that was it.
Check out 'Nadia' on 'You Had It Coming'. Masterful.

It wasn't for nothing Brian tapped Beck for 'The Guv'nor'