Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Worst Ending To A Queen Song!!!

forum rss feed
Author

Localboy80 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 268 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was just wondering what you all though was the worst ending to a Queen song?

Mine has to be 'Man On The Prowl'. Such a good sing-along song with great music, that builds into a great ending with the piano and then all of a sudden it just cuts off. Talk about an anti-climax to a song. Even the extended mix ends abruptly, as if someone pulled the plug.

I have been trying to think what other songs have bad endings but I really cannot think of any, so I am curious to see what other people think. Do you agree that it is 'Man On The Prowl'? Or is it maybe something else?

Also, is there another recording of 'Man On The Prowl' that eventually fades out? Or even better, a version that actually ends with a proper ending?

"I'll Face It With A Grin, I'm Never Giving In. On With The Show... The Show Must Go On!!!"
Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We Are The Champions (studio) misses a proper ending, while the live version always has one. Strange to me.

I also don't like the ending of Another One Bites The Dust, it sounds a bit like taken from a rehearsal to me.

Funny topic, I have to start a similar one ...

Bye,
Nummer2

... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is one of the worst ending def, but IMO the whole song is one of the WORST things I've ever heard in my life...

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Get the extended version of Man On The Prowl, thats got a slightly better ending.

Sorry Fenderek mate lol, but I've got a lotta time for Man On The Prowl (but I don't know why, I just love it), especially the extended version.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

man on the prowl is a good song, actually most of the works album is good, well maybe tear it up stinks, but the rest is solid.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe Man On The Prowl is getting slated for its ending. I think it's one of the funniest endings to any Queen song!

There's that bloke going ballistic at the piano and I can picture Fred and the gang looking at each other, rolling their eyes. And when the song ends they pull the plug on him!

Worst ending?? No chance.

Peace,
Adam.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

actually it's a great ending.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Heart Attack

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Sheer Heart Attack

Ditto.

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont like the songs that fade out. queen did it quite a lot. i think its an easy way to finish a song.
fat bottomed girls
cltcl
7 seas of rhye
ect.
etc.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Sheer Heart Attack

He, he- I actually love this one- remember being 14 or something, listening to it and when it ended I thought taht was a blackout or something (it was daylight) :) But I dunno- dislike MOTP, dislike the whole WORKS album (save KPTOW, ITTWWC or HTF). But I like Adam's explenation :) I may actually listen to it again for that reason :)

zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer2 wrote:

We Are The Champions (studio) misses a proper ending, while the live version always has one. Strange to me.

I also don't like the ending of Another One Bites The Dust, it sounds a bit like taken from a rehearsal to me.

Both songs have so-called open endings. You expect another measure ending on a downbeat with a finishing chord that resolves into the songs tonic, but instead the songs ends one measure too early and it's left hanging there in the air, unfinished.

I actually like it on "Champions", because I think ending it like they do live would have sounded a bit cheesy. It works live though, open endings don't really work live, you have to give the song a proper ending.

I agree with other posters that the cut endings of "Sheer Heart Attack" and "Man on the Prowl" sound weird. Also, I'm not fond of fade outs. I agree with a previous poster that it is cheap and an easy way out.

I like songs that go out with a bang, such as "Dead on Time" and "Lap of the Gods... revisited", but I think they overdid on "Gimme the Prize", so I'll give that my vote for worst ending.

Flick of the wrist
JeroenG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 334 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The worst endings are all tracks that have an uninspired fade out!

I simply don't like the way fade out's are used simply because 'we don't know a better way to end a song'.

There are some fade out's however that work really well, but in that case the 'fade out effect' is used for a reason... To get a certain environment (is that good English? I mean Dutch word 'sfeer') for example.
'Life Changes' by The Cross from Blue Rock (but there are more songs) has this in my opinion. The very long fade out which repeats the same chords on and on works very well there.
I don't dislike that kind of fade out's because a well-thought decision was made for using the fade out effect.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fat Bottomed Girls ends cold, Liam, it's not a fade out, unless you're talking about the post-final chorus section as a long one minute fade out.

You know, good times are now.
MercuryArts user not visiting Queenzone.com
MercuryArts
Bohemian: 839 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do like MOTP somewhat. The ending is great. I was just never happy knowing it wasn't Freddie on the piano.

"Take care of those you call your own"
gem27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

im not a big fan of killer queen, the whole song but the ending is nothing special

dimcyril user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 280 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree that fade outs are a cop out for when you can't think of a decent ending

we've no ancestral halls, no haughty portraits on our walls, no family monuments at all, unless it's my cousin sheila's stupendous clevage.
Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fade-outs sometimes fit to the song. Examples are Don't Stop Me Now and Drowse. Maybe few others, too, can't think of them now.

... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My entry is the album version of Hammer To Fall. Just end the damn thing already!!

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Show must go on is a sad ending...
so is These are the days of our lifes.
Thats sad endings..
We are the champions is the worst ending because they cut it out on the single...

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!