Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > ANATO 30th vs Born to Run 30th vs Wish You Were Here 30th anniversary

forum rss feed
Author

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you thought Queen and Bruce Springsteen were getting into the act of the 30th anniversary celebrations of key albums, you can add Pink Floyd to the list as well. By year's end, Pink Floyd's 1975 follow-up to Dark Side of the Moon entitled Wish You Were Here will be re-released on the Hybrid SACD format to coincide with the album's 30th anniversary on Capitol/EMI. Once again, James Guthrie(whom has worked with Pink Floyd since The Wall) will be remixing the album just like he did the 30th anniversary Hybrid SACD issue of Dark Side of the Moon in 2003. DVD-A tanked, Hybrid SACDs took over once The Rolling Stones re-issued their 1964-70 catalog as well as Bob Dylan, The Who with Tommy, Elton John and Pink Floyd as well.


"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn SACD...
Those Floyd 5.1 mixes are a dream come true for me... apart from the tiny little detail that I want them on DTS 5.1 DVD...

:=(

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

Damn SACD...
Those Floyd 5.1 mixes are a dream come true for me... apart from the tiny little detail that I want them on DTS 5.1 DVD...

:=(


Yup, I got more interested in Pink Floyd after hearing them at Live8. I wanted to hear the 5.1 mixes and my Dad had the SACD. Then I realised, I don't know anyone with an SACD player...

Bloody Sony and their desperate attempt to hang on to the music market with yet another stupid Sony-only medium. The sooner it goes, the sooner it'll be better for people who actually want to listen to this stuff. The whole point of DVD is that it reaches everyone in some form or another. Both dvd-a and sacd are practically identical, which makes you wonder, what's the point of two identical (working) formats? Sacd just blocks this stuff from reaching everyone.

And before anyone goes on about DTS only Queen discs - I was in the hi-fi store getting a cheap £99 amplifier and it supported DTS. And it all sounds great.

Peace,
Adam.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

Damn SACD...
Those Floyd 5.1 mixes are a dream come true for me... apart from the tiny little detail that I want them on DTS 5.1 DVD...

:=(

Fucking ditto... same here, same here... especially as I rate Wish You Were here as THE best album of all time...

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

jeroen wrote:

Damn SACD...
Those Floyd 5.1 mixes are a dream come true for me... apart from the tiny little detail that I want them on DTS 5.1 DVD...

:=(


Yup, I got more interested in Pink Floyd after hearing them at Live8. I wanted to hear the 5.1 mixes and my Dad had the SACD. Then I realised, I don't know anyone with an SACD player...

Bloody Sony and their desperate attempt to hang on to the music market with yet another stupid Sony-only medium. The sooner it goes, the sooner it'll be better for people who actually want to listen to this stuff. The whole point of DVD is that it reaches everyone in some form or another. Both dvd-a and sacd are practically identical, which makes you wonder, what's the point of two identical (working) formats? Sacd just blocks this stuff from reaching everyone.

And before anyone goes on about DTS only Queen discs - I was in the hi-fi store getting a cheap £99 amplifier and it supported DTS. And it all sounds great.

Peace,
Adam.

It sounds awesome!
DTS sounds so good I now get annoyed when I hear regular 5.1 mixes - that's how spoiled I got ;-)

But you are right about the SACD thing. I'm sure we are going to lose this one soon. It's just like VHS and Betamax back in the days. Betamax might have been a bit better qualitywise, yes - but it flopped in the end for the more common VHS vcr...
(And you know how come, btw? Because basically all PORN on the market was VHS! :-)

We have all just bought a decent DVD player home cinema set... not many people will be going to buy ANOTHER machine for 5.1 sound...


NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

New PlayStation 3 systems will have SACD capatibility. DVD-A is obsolete now as the Dual Disc is trying to get off the ground but many of them are plagued with problems as Dual Discs won't play in car radios nor some CD players.


"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, well, well... does anyone think this is awfully convenient that Sony have implemented their sacd technology into the PS3? Un-bloody-believeable. It makes me sick hearing this news.

===============================
Market Advisor - Hello Mr Sony. Looks like that sacd thing isn't going to take off after-all. Nevermind.

Mr Sony - Hmm... Put it in that games console that all the kids buy.

Market Advisor - Ah, yes... now I see, Mr Sony. Nice work.
===============================

That's the only way it'll have a chance of succeeding. By forcing it on a games console that is guaranteed to sell. And if this format takes off, there's a good chance that we'll have to upgrade our machines for this format.

Peace,
Adam.

P.S. Dvd-a isn't obsolete. It's the one I've heard all the good things about. Not that I don't hear good things about sacd, only less so, I'm sure you'll agree.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1420 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Sep 05, 21:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest, the SACD format is pretty close to the MLP found on the DVD-As. The only thing I hate about SACDs is their reduced compability. By the way, I have a very nice Pioneer DVD drive which also reads SACD.

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki, can I come over to listen to those Pink Floyd-, Roger Waters and David Bowie SACD's??? ;-)

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shame that the overall content of the Queen release isn't worth the price tag though - Springsteen's is an absolute triumph - I have a promo copy and it's brilliant!


Benn
drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote:

Shame that the overall content of the Queen release isn't worth the price tag though - Springsteen's is an absolute triumph - I have a promo copy and it's brilliant!


I just read about the Springsteen set, and my first thought was that it really put ANATO to shame. What Queen Productions doesn't seem to get is that even if you already had a 5.1 mix of Born to Run, the TWO DVD's make this an absolute MUST have for fans. Yet if you already have the ANATO 5.1 mix, why bother with the new one? You would think that their all consuming greed would at least lead them to be a bit more creative in their reissues.

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 16:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Well, well, well... does anyone think this is awfully convenient that Sony have implemented their sacd technology into the PS3? Un-bloody-believeable. It makes me sick hearing this news.

===============================
Market Advisor - Hello Mr Sony. Looks like that sacd thing isn't going to take off after-all. Nevermind.

Mr Sony - Hmm... Put it in that games console that all the kids buy.

Market Advisor - Ah, yes... now I see, Mr Sony. Nice work.
===============================

That's the only way it'll have a chance of succeeding. By forcing it on a games console that is guaranteed to sell. And if this format takes off, there's a good chance that we'll have to upgrade our machines for this format.

Peace,
Adam.

P.S. Dvd-a isn't obsolete. It's the one I've heard all the good things about. Not that I don't hear good things about sacd, only less so, I'm sure you'll agree.


DVD-As are becoming rarer these days as the invention of Dual Discs took over. Dual Discs I hear are nothing but bad things. Many won't play in normal CD or car CD players.


"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drwinston wrote:

Benn wrote:

Shame that the overall content of the Queen release isn't worth the price tag though - Springsteen's is an absolute triumph - I have a promo copy and it's brilliant!


I just read about the Springsteen set, and my first thought was that it really put ANATO to shame. What Queen Productions doesn't seem to get is that even if you already had a 5.1 mix of Born to Run, the TWO DVD's make this an absolute MUST have for fans. Yet if you already have the ANATO 5.1 mix, why bother with the new one? You would think that their all consuming greed would at least lead them to be a bit more creative in their reissues.


Springsteen is YAWN! I am waiting for the WYWH Hybrid SACD myself. I got rid of the ANATO CD and won't re-buy until the November re-issue.


"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha, ha! Its not d.v.d-a. Those will be just Dual Discs until most have converted over. The problem isn't Dual Discs as they will hopefully be phenomenal in the future if not now. The problem is that at this time they have some problems with them but trust me it is not like the industry, public, and whoever else are going to go backwards at whatever point in the future. Future release will have these AMAZING features I am sure of it. Aren't you all?

drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTWMEDDLE wrote:


Springsteen is YAWN! I am waiting for the WYWH Hybrid SACD myself. I got rid of the ANATO CD and won't re-buy until the November re-issue.


WWYH is definitely a must have. So the Springsteen box isn't any good? I would think that a 75 pro-shot (I'm guessing) Bruce show would be worth the price of the box set alone.

You wouldn't be interested in unloading your copy, would u? ;)

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AlexRocks wrote:

Ha, ha! Its not d.v.d-a. Those will be just Dual Discs until most have converted over. The problem isn't Dual Discs as they will hopefully be phenomenal in the future if not now. The problem is that at this time they have some problems with them but trust me it is not like the industry, public, and whoever else are going to go backwards at whatever point in the future. Future release will have these AMAZING features I am sure of it. Aren't you all?


I think Dual Disc will tank.


"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Oct 05, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See also Elton John's 30 year anniversary with accompanying contemporaneous concert.