Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queenzone Stage of Champions

forum rss feed
Author

Vulcan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought it would be nice to start a topic about the SOG and what we think of the songs on there.

For instance, my personal fave is Crossed Hearts - Long Away. Very true to the original, and extremely well produced! I also like everything Adam Steen has done - obviously a very versatile musician.

Well done Crossed Hearts and Ads!!

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crossed Hearts' Long Away is the only cover from the SOC that remains on my hard-drive and gets listened to from time to time.

In fact I'm gonna put it on now...

I absolutely love it. When a cover is an exact duplication of the original, it can usually only inspire thoughts as to how clever and well executed it is, and generally is lacking in any new emotional weight. Yet for some reason this version stands on its own, and somehow breathes new life into the song, despite being completely faithful to the original.

Koolkikiland (if you're reading this!) I love your voice. I always like singers that sing very 'straight' and 'flat', and yet still sound engaging. And by straight and flat I mean that you use little or no vibrato, melisma or ornamentation to make the voice more interesting. To still sound great without any of those vocal tools means you simply have a nice voice.

My ONLY gripe about this cover is that the glorious suspended-second in the harmony for "come let the new child PLA-AAY" is omitted? Why was that? It's practically my favourite moment in the whole (original) song.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretty much my fav as well! And I would have to agree that I miss that same harmony. But I'd also say I miss the sustained guitar note just before the breakdown in the song. Just thinking about that part reminds me of when I first heard ADATR and that song on the album. Ah... memories. :)

Peace,
Adam.

Koolkikiland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 05, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy and Adam and y'all. . . man, those are super nice things you said. Bless you guys.

. . . and I should have known better than to try and leave out those missing parts you mention. Queen fan's ears are too good. ;) The only excuse I have is that I was getting anxious and other work was piling up on me. But hey, I guess we can never expect a copy to be as good as the original, right? Maybe I'll go back and fix it.

I'm surprised, though, no one's ever mentioned the slighly altered lyric too. ;)

I have this fantasy of doing a full CD of Brian-May-sung Queen covers and giving it away for free. Someday, one day . . . when there's time. . .

Peace!
dave

"Some day, one day. . . "

Posted: 30 Sep 05, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, I never realised about the altered lyric! I just listened to your production again, and there it was!! :oD

I particularly like the harmonies that you and Terri have sung on this track, and it would be fantastic if you could add in the "new child play" one.

Have you any plans to cover another Queen track?

Peace Out

J

QueenNewcastle user not visiting Queenzone.com
QueenNewcastle
Bohemian: 255 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 05, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think "Long Away" and "Doin' Alright" are cool. all other are shite!

"It's Real Honor To Be Here Tonight"

Brian May

Newcastle Metro Radio Arena

Tuesday 4th November 2008

Posted: 30 Sep 05, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can only get doin alright to play about 15 seconds :o(

J

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 30 Sep 05, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=black>You Don't Fool Me wrote:

Wowee... thanks for that...

Peace,
Adam.

Koolkikiland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 30 Sep 05, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vulcan wrote:

Have you any plans to cover another Queen track?

Hi Vulcan ~

Yeah, I've had an almost completed "She Makes Me" sitting on my hard drive for a while that I plan to finish. Not sure how to do the ending though. . .

By the way, I added the "new child" harmonies to "Long Away" - the SOC file should play the updated version now.

Oh, here's a free MP3 download of a Crossed Hearts original tune if anyone wants one:

http://portfolio.iu.edu/dacsmith/Crossed_Hearts_See_it_in_the_Sunshine.mp3

Teri's singin' lead on it instead of me.

Peace!
dave

"Some day, one day. . . "

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 05, 21:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

<font color=black>You Don't Fool Me wrote:

Wowee... thanks for that...

Ditto! Adam, can you feel the love?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 05, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Long Away is my fave, too.
Gotta give credit to the guy who did I Want It All.

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just listened to the Long Away revised version....fantastic!! :o) Can't wait to hear "She Makes Me". I hope you can do a more inspired ending than Brian's fade out! I also love the track you posted in this thread!

Does anyone have a link to the full version of Adam Steen's "Doin Alright"?

Peace

Jim

Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My favourites are Long Away and A Winter's Tale. Oh, and the Misfire instrumental is awesome as well!

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 05, 04:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The revised version of Adam Steen's You're My Best Friend is now online and the complete Doin' Alright.

Tomorrow comes something new, sorry about the delay.

I do not want any google ads here.

great king rat 1138 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 05, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barb, if we want to put something up on the SoC, do we still just need to send you a link to rapidshare or whatever, or is there a new system?

"I'll probably make loads of plans, and then just sit around on my bottom all day long and do nothing." The Man In The Shadows says it like it is.

http://www.myspace.com/petearnold

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 05, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can send an mp3 to the contact email if it's not bigger than 6 MB - I think. But please announce it in advance, so I can make room in the mail box:)

I do not want any google ads here.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 05, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just heard Doin' Alright.

Excellent work. The high guitar part is a little dodgy at the end (don't worry, I'm a guitarist and as such I like to nitpick about these things... your guitar sound is still excellent). The vocal harmonies are very precise, it's good work.
I like your voice better in this than in You're My Best Friend, well done!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
kweenqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 05, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Zebonka12!

Glad you like it!

The bass and drums are REAL dodgy but that's another story (I used a midi file on soundblaster at the time!!!).

Now I try sequence most of my work myself and use more pro gear.

"The bigger, the better. In everything, my dear..."
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 06 Oct 05, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can I hear... autotune *shudders* Or something equally lifeless.

Too much reverb on the drums in YMBF. If you can, email me the separate recorded drum parts, I can show you a way of mixing them differently. Btw, did you use a mic to capture the room sound?

Nice guitar work on Doin' Alright. But I still hear something robotic and autotune-y in there too.
I see what you mean about the last guitar bit, Zebonka12.

Peace,
Adam.

kweenqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 05, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam, Auto-Tune seems to be a favorite subject of yours... I've said it before; I've used NO AT on the lead vox. And it was YOU who said that AT doesn't make recordings robotic (actually it was my words).Used some on the harmonies since it takes a looong time to do 7 part harmonies times 3 without using it (I generally use between 20-30 channels for vox to get as close as possible to what Queen did). But I really DO try to get as close as possible. AT works no miracles, one have to sing it good, otherwise it sounds like shite as you obviously know.

Well, perhaps you just don't like my voice, and I can't change that (not in a New York minute anyway...) Well, you can't win them all...no problem.

I've done the recordings in my livingroom on spare time (and they DO take a long time to complete). I suppose I'll improve by practise.

Perhaps you should upload something with the vox actually IN TUNE for a change, (if you manage without AT).

;-)

"The bigger, the better. In everything, my dear..."