Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > the invisible man

forum rss feed
Author

Rider32 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 48 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 05, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What does the song mean?

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 05, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's a song. that's it. read the lyrics - it's fairly self-explanatory


go deo na h√Čireann
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The man who can't be seen. Check Herbert Wells' book for more details.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... "The man who can't be seen. Check Herbert Wells' book for more details".
(Or "HG" as he was known to his friends!!)

However Serry, that is only a literal translation of both the novel and the song.

A more metaphorical translation could be that it is someone who is "not heard", or "not listened to", or just plain "not taken seriously", therefore, for all intents and purposes - invisible.

On this level, the song COULD be viewed as political, Sexual, Racial, or whatever subversive meaning one would like to attribute.

Personally, I always wondered why, whenever I was in a room filled with beautiful women, I was ALWAYS invisible, no matter how much noise I made!



"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 05:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"A more metaphorical translation could be that it is someone who is "not heard", or "not listened to", or just plain "not taken seriously", therefore, for all intents and purposes - invisible."

Hmm... Mr Knoxville (with all my respect for everyone who have Red Special) or Mr BPP (with all my respect to British police), right?

Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 10:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie MErcury
John Deacon!
Brian May Brian May!
RRRRRoger Taylorrr!

but who is the "professor"?

this is the question


Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love the demo with Freddie doing his best Elvis impression in the middle.


Guess who's back?
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Oct 05, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:


A more metaphorical translation could be that it is someone who is "not heard", or "not listened to", or just plain "not taken seriously", therefore, for all intents and purposes - invisible.


That would be Ralph Ellison's The Invisible Man


DJ's the man we love the most
Danny Buoy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Oct 05, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's ridiculous that they didn't use The Invisible Man for that 'Hollowman' film with Kevin Bacon - I mean, what other song conveys the see-through nature of Bacon's charater better?

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Oct 05, 03:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Danny Bhoy wrote:

it's ridiculous that they didn't use The Invisible Man for that 'Hollowman' film with Kevin Bacon - I mean, what other song conveys the see-through nature of Bacon's charater better?


I don't think that the lightness and poppy nature of the track - would have fitted well with the heavy/serious subject matter of the movie. So I disagree on that point.

However, I think it would have ideally suited the 1992 film "Memoirs of an Invisible Man" starring Chevy Chase, Daryl Hannah and Sam Neill, which (apart from having "Invisible Man" as part of its title) thematically covered the same ground as "Hollowman", but in a much more light-hearted fasion.




"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Oct 05, 04:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The fan club once said, that the invisible man was meant to be Michael Jackson.


Live life to the full!
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Oct 05, 04:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen have so many songs that could be hits years after their release, i think invisible man is one of those. It would seem to fit as a sountrack for one of those movies.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Oct 05, 04:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Joma wrote:

The fan club once said, that the invisible man was meant to be Michael Jackson.


That explains why there's young boy in the video...

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Oct 05, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Joma wrote:

The fan club once said, that the invisible man was meant to be Michael Jackson.


That explains why there's young boy in the video...


That is so old! Can you be fucking serious? I'm tired of hearing about that stuff. Michael Jackson's (Possible) issues, arn't things we need to discuss here. Especially when young children visit this site. What kind of person continues to talk about people who might be a pedophile? I know I don't go around mentioning things to do with molestation, so I think you should stop as well.


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 05, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Serry... "The man who can't be seen. Check Herbert Wells' book for more details".
(Or "HG" as he was known to his friends!!)

However Serry, that is only a literal translation of both the novel and the song.

A more metaphorical translation could be that it is someone who is "not heard", or "not listened to", or just plain "not taken seriously", therefore, for all intents and purposes - invisible.

On this level, the song COULD be viewed as political, Sexual, Racial, or whatever subversive meaning one would like to attribute.

Personally, I always wondered why, whenever I was in a room filled with beautiful women, I was ALWAYS invisible, no matter how much noise I made!



Condsidering it was inspired by ghostbuster, I doubt it had much meaning beyond the surface meaning but that's good because a group like Queen could release a song with a face value meaning and still get folks like John S Stuart debating it for yrs after the fact. The mark of a great artist.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 05, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's about John.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 05, 03:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

Serry... wrote:

Joma wrote:

The fan club once said, that the invisible man was meant to be Michael Jackson.


That explains why there's young boy in the video...


That is so old! Can you be fucking serious? I'm tired of hearing about that stuff. Michael Jackson's (Possible) issues, arn't things we need to discuss here. Especially when young children visit this site. What kind of person continues to talk about people who might be a pedophile? I know I don't go around mentioning things to do with molestation, so I think you should stop as well.


Okay, I'll be fucking (young children must to know this word, yeah?) serious. And I hope you're really from Bhutan as your profile says. Be fucking serious, man! Seems like you have something against me - all your replies to me are about how bad and stupid I am though I don't know who you are even...

Sorry for off topic!

spymyshadow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 261 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Oct 05, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

Serry... wrote:

Joma wrote:

The fan club once said, that the invisible man was meant to be Michael Jackson.


That explains why there's young boy in the video...


That is so old! Can you be fucking serious? I'm tired of hearing about that stuff. Michael Jackson's (Possible) issues, arn't things we need to discuss here. Especially when young children visit this site. What kind of person continues to talk about people who might be a pedophile? I know I don't go around mentioning things to do with molestation, so I think you should stop as well.




Maybe because if he kept on whitening you could have "seen right through him"?












take heed that yonder dog! Look when he fawns he bites, and when he bites his venom teeth will rankle to death
LucyCoeCollins user not visiting Queenzone.com
   LucyCoeCollins
Bohemian: 109 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Oct 05, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All Queens People wrote:

I love that song.






I also love this song!


"YOU CAN BE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO BE

JUST TURN YERSELF INTO ANYTHING YOU THINK THAT YOU COULD EVER BE"
JasmineXWarrior user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 815 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Oct 05, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The parents of young children should really be screening websites before they allow their children on and they should think VERY seriously before allowing their children on an unfiltered board with unpredictable content. This is a website obviously oriented to adults and to some extent older teens. Most interactive internet content is designed for people aged 13 and over.

The original joke would have gone over the head of most children. However, they will now be going up to Mommy and Daddy and asking them what a pedophile is. Nice one.

I am speaking here as a teacher education student, by the way. It is the responsibility of adults on the internet not to BE pedophiles, but it is not their responsibility to make sure no child ever hears a joke about one. If parents want their kids to be ignorant and naive and not learn that there are bad people in the world until they get taken advantage of by one, then it's up to them to prevent that information from getting through. God forbid a child learn how harsh the world is the EASY way.

I know someone is going to flame me and say I shouldn't be anywhere near children and how dare I advocate parents taking responsibility for what their children do. Because we all know TV and the internet are supposed to teach children civility and morality! Not their parents!


Be nice to dragons, for you are crunchy, and go well with ketchup.