Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Q: Were Freddie and John really friends at all?..

forum rss feed
Author

PinkInk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 146 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Oct 05, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The reason i ask this is because Freddie was always around Brian and Roger on tour, and never come near John. Freddie and John didnt even make eye contact with each other! Also: is that the reason John left/retired from Queen, because he said its not the same without Freddie? Is this true?


Don't shun it.. fun it!
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 01:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John and Freddie were very close...especially in the begining. Freddie was like a big brother to John when he was new to the band and the youngest. You'll find a lot of pictures of them together, looking kind of brotherly, like these...

http://www.queenzone.com/multimedia/pictures/images/Queen/111154107982.jpg

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/mp3.aspx?Q=8780

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/mp3.aspx?Q=6573

There's another good one of Freddie with his arm around John that photobucket won't let me post. :)

John and Freddie seemed to really understand each other...and they seemed to anchor each other well...from their similar music taste and the way Freddie helped John to get his say in Queen's music. They had a deeper relationship which could be one of the reasons behind John's decision to stay out of the reformed Queen.


Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 02:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think John was the closest person to Freddie, if you talk about the band.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 04:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


Of course! They wrote a few songs together, and there are all the pictures Gunpowder Gelatine posted. Roger and Brian were very close, having known each other such a long time, so I think Freddie & John were very good friends. Hence the song (possibly) Friends Will Be Friends (which they wrote together).


This can't end well.
its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 10:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Munchsack wrote:


Of course! They wrote a few songs together, and there are all the pictures Gunpowder Gelatine posted. Roger and Brian were very close, having known each other such a long time, so I think Freddie & John were very good friends. Hence the song (possibly) Friends Will Be Friends (which they wrote together).


Yeah true...
Brian had Roger :)
John had Freddie :)


"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to our newest muppet, who assumes that a few photos tell him/her/it all about the relationship between two people.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John is "Retired" because he is afraid to be in crowded places. Thats why he is very rarely spotted in public the last few years


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gunpowder Gelatine wrote:

John and Freddie were very close...especially in the begining. Freddie was like a big brother to John when he was new to the band and the youngest. You'll find a lot of pictures of them together, looking kind of brotherly, like these...

http://www.queenzone.com/multimedia/pictures/images/Queen/111154107982.jpg

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/mp3.aspx?Q=8780

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/mp3.aspx?Q=6573

There's another good one of Freddie with his arm around John that photobucket won't let me post. :)

John and Freddie seemed to really understand each other...and they seemed to anchor each other well...from their similar music taste and the way Freddie helped John to get his say in Queen's music. They had a deeper relationship which could be one of the reasons behind John's decision to stay out of the reformed Queen.


I'm not going by the photos, what I go by are all the interviews Freddie did and articles that discuss about how John admired Freddie very much, and that Freddie very much took John under his wing, at least musically/professionally, helped John with John's songs, arranging and orchestrating them, hammering them out...and mostty making Brian and Roger let John have a creative voice that was allowed to be heard and utilized in the band with songs like AOBTD (which Freddie shared John's love of disco/R and B music), or You're My Best Friend, what have you.

I don't think John would have had the opportunity to contribute as much as a songwriter to Queen, had Freddie not have helped him and looked out for him with John's own songs...hammering them out, and in Freddie sort of letting Brian and Roger know it was a democratic band, where John's creativity should be contributed too.

On a personal level, I think that John truly adored Freddie, and wanted more of a friendship but he and Freddie were just too different in their lifestyles and John even said so in an interview, that he would never think of ringing Freddie up, or dropping by Freddie's house, because they lived totally different lives with different social circles.

John was the family man.

Freddie was the party animal.

I don;t know what Freddie thought of John on a friendship/personal level, but he was very kind and generous to John professionally/creatively.


xyz
nibznik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 22:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi 5, Arlene! *Raises hand*


"I am Jack The Pumpkin King!" - Jack The Pumpkin King
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We see Brian with Roger all the time now, because basically they are the outspoken ones, and no one else is going to represent Queen at the moment, right?

But, I've also seen Roger with John on TV and I've seen Brian with John and I've seen Freddie with Roger, etc etc etc.

I think Roger and Freddie were the closest. Even in the late 80's, they partied together. Wasn't Freddie and Mary the only one at his wedding? Or was it at Brian's wedding?

Freddie spent the night at Roger's foreign house sometimes!! Freddie and Roger owned a clothing stall.. and people thought they were little queens before they became Queen!!


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:



I'm not going by the photos, what I go by are all the interviews Freddie did and articles that discuss about how John admired Freddie very much, and that Freddie very much took John under his wing, at least musically/professionally, helped John with John's songs, arranging and orchestrating them, hammering them out...and mostty making Brian and Roger let John have a creative voice that was allowed to be heard and utilized in the band with songs like AOBTD (which Freddie shared John's love of disco/R and B music), or You're My Best Friend, what have you.

I don't think John would have had the opportunity to contribute as much as a songwriter to Queen, had Freddie not have helped him and looked out for him with John's own songs...hammering them out, and in Freddie sort of letting Brian and Roger know it was a democratic band, where John's creativity should be contributed too.

On a personal level, I think that John truly adored Freddie, and wanted more of a friendship but he and Freddie were just too different in their lifestyles and John even said so in an interview, that he would never think of ringing Freddie up, or dropping by Freddie's house, because they lived totally different lives with different social circles.

John was the family man.

Freddie was the party animal.

I don;t know what Freddie thought of John on a friendship/personal level, but he was very kind and generous to John professionally/creatively.

I don't know what you mean exactly, if you mean Freddie helped John write songs, well, only two songs plus Cool Cat which was basically Freddie's I've read. And Peter Freestone (if you read the book) said it was only because John insisted Freddie be mentioned. I'm sure Freddie helps out with most songs. He totally re-did Radio GaGa and A Kind Of Magic (Roger's biggest hits). He said Roger and John's is the ones he'll work on while Brian can handle it himself and is picky and won't let Freddie in.

But Freddie said John's life isn't his idea of fun. According to Peter Freestone's book. It's great isn't it Arlene!


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Rafael Macedo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 05, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian and Roger were very close because they were more focused on the band, the music, work etc..
(they were the main writers of the band in the 80s)... they also were friends since the smile era... so...

Freddie and John, were very diferent and had diferent lifestyles... but they had something important in common, they dedicated a lot of time to his personal life... they knew that queen was important but not the most important thing in their lives...

altought freddie was a lonely man and unlucky in love, i think he always had the wish of having a relationship like john's marriage...

adn of course theay had a similar music interest... r&b, soul, pop, etc...


LORD OF ALL DARKNESS...

QUEEN OF THE NIGHT...
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 05, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

Wasn't Freddie and Mary the only one at his wedding? Or was it at Brian's wedding?


Roger's.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 05, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

Wasn't Freddie and Mary the only one at his wedding? Or was it at Brian's wedding?


Roger's.


See :)


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
TheOpposition. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 84 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 05, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Welcome to our newest muppet, who assumes that a few photos tell him/her/it all about the relationship between two people."

- took the words right out of my mouth.

What a bunch of morons.

@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 05, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only relationship that i every query about is between Brian and John.

I think this was the weakest friendship within the band.


Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
Lostio user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 05, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seriously, can you possibly think two guys can be in the same band, creating and playing songs together for that long time and not be close friends, at least during that time as a band?

The act of joining a band revolves around having a very strong and personal relationship with every single other member in the band. If John and Freddie weren't close, John would probably leave earlier.

You can't be in a band that long and not be close friends with every other member.


-



I see a little silhouetto of an invisible man.



No one but the pure killer queen can find the Golden Grail.



Heh. Queen rule.
Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Oct 05, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TheOpposition. wrote:

"Welcome to our newest muppet, who assumes that a few photos tell him/her/it all about the relationship between two people."

- took the words right out of my mouth.

What a bunch of morons.


I don't know if that was directed towards me for posting the pictures (not that I'm new or a muppet from what I know...I've been on this board for over a year and have been reading it for even longer) but I just used them to reiterate what's already been said about John and Freddie. I wasn't trying to jump to conclusions about their relationship or anything...just to back up what the band has said in countless interviews.


Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Yood-Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 56 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Oct 05, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

this is an interesting subject because deacon character was not so clear
i can't be sure how was deacon relationship with freddie and the rest of the band
but i think deacon had differnet qualities than the rest of the band he didn't love the glory or being admired he was shy.maybe he had allready lack of motivation. but the thing which im sure he was praiseworthy and he was the best bass player and who knows maybe he still





Freddie Mercury- Lover of life - Singer of songs

REST IN PEACE

Queen Rocks
PinkInk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 146 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 23:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks people, those replys did answer my question :)


Don't shun it.. fun it!