Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What is Brian's most difficult song to play

forum rss feed
Author

carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brighton Rock was the most ambitious, but excluding that, what was the most difficult Queen song or guitar riff Brian played either on stage or recorded in a studio. I read that BoRap on stage was definitely challenging.

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.
Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMHO i think probably ,,love of my life''

bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"The Show Must Go On"... !!!

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Possibly the Invisible Man solo.

The Miracle album contains Bri's most technically difficult and adventurous guitar-work. There are many runs and fills throughout that album that require great technique in order to pull them off correctly.

In fact, I think the most technically difficult thing Bri ever did is a very fast ascending run that only features in the 12" version of Scandal. He's almost shredding there.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Melancholy Blues - live version...

Well, I ain't guitarist so I don't know, but maybe as Bohard wrote - The Invisible Man and You Don't Fool Me?

Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he once said that his most difficult work was on some collaboration that has never seen the light of day. Quite a clever move, because thus it's impossible to judge how virtuoso he really his.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05
its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You mean stuff from his solo albums or Queen songs he wrote?

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
epwchill user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 35 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would assume it would be the stuff off Queen II, if were refering to overall. That Album had the most Multi-tracking on his part i believe. Just refering to live jams, I would say his solo on Princes of the Universe.

kudilja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 412 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 05, 19:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what about Put Out The Fire solo?

kweenqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 05, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"what about Put Out The Fire solo? "

Yeah, that's the one! Since he was shit-faced when he did it...

:o)

"The bigger, the better. In everything, my dear..."
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 05, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that story about the Put out the Fire solo. Brian having been out on the piss all night hears a echo through his cans courtesy of Mack. Gets excited and wants to put it on every track. Mack, thank god suggest POTF. Body Language could do with it though.

Guess who's back?
ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 05, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dead on time - overlooked and virtually impossible to play!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 05, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can play just about any solo or riff he put to magnetic tape - Princes of the Universe, Invisible Man... but the ONE thing that still eludes me after all these years is about five seconds in Brighton Rock. I don't get it, I *know* how to play it but for the life of me I can't!

But yeah. I spent around two or three years learning how to play Queen songs and it got a little boring... it was actually a bit unhealthy, my style lingers a little close to Queen for my liking (in that, one might say I'm ripping them off). :(

Most difficult? Hmmm...

- Bohemian Rhapsody isn't *nearly* as hard as all that.
- I actually find some of his guitar parts on March of the Black Queen to be very tricky.
- A song that is HUGE fun to play is Innuendo, from beginning to end. The guitar parts are very slow in the main body of the song, but the 'flamenco' bit is a buzz to play (I play both parts at once, unfortunately this doesn't sound quite as good as double tracking but oh well).
- The Breakthru solo is such an energetic thing to play... it actually makes me feel physically cheerful to bang that one out.
- Unfortunately, my delay thing broke about a year ago so I haven't really bothered with Brighton Rock. But if you can get such a device, it makes playing so much fun.
- The Princes of the Universe solo is really really simple, very easy to play if you practise - but when people hear it, they're jaws drop and they go "HOW????". What fun.
- Bijou is beautiful, but I've never sat down to learn it all.
- The Scandal solo is a challenge and a half...
- The bit that clinched learning Queen for me (I mean, it's the last Queen thing I really learnt) was Invisible Man's solo. I genuinely used to listen to that and think that he cheated somehow.
But, it's entirely possible and I play it heaps as a party trick. It was probably the hardest thing to learn, and I can only manage it on a good night.

And there you have it, that's all I can say. I'd be interested to hear from more guitarists about playing Queen though, I wanna know what you think having done it yourselves. :D

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 05, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Put out the fire

bobo the chimp

Posted: 16 Oct 05, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Put out the Fire is another tricky one, largely because it's outside of his usual style. To be honest I've never really made a go of it.

Keep 'em coming, I dig this thread.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 05, 11:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found this online sheet music site that has Queen selections. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.sheetmusicsearch.info/SheetMusicSearch.php?search=Queen

Arrow down a bit and there you are.

Its "Guitar Guru" section looks comprehensive with a guitar finger chart and digital choices if you just want to work on a particular area of a song, plus you can repeat the area and even slow it down.

Gosh, it makes me wish I played guitar. I once tried piano, but the teacher suggested I take up a different hobby.

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.
kudilja user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 412 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 05, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Put out the fire solo tricky one? I don`t understand...

bobo the chimp

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 01:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I dunno. It (Put out the Fire solo) isn't any trickier than the others when you come down to it, but it's a little different (probably because he's drunk while doing it) and whenever I try it I usually slide into something more familiar. Heck thats just me.

EddieVanHalen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like to play the solo from Heaven for everyone, 'cos it's very simple but sounds really sweet. I also like the solo in Was it all worth it because it sounds really dark and yet very melodic.

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

I can play just about any solo or riff he put to magnetic tape - Princes of the Universe, Invisible Man... but the ONE thing that still eludes me after all these years is about five seconds in Brighton Rock. I don't get it, I *know* how to play it but for the life of me I can't!

Would that be the screaming lick played twice just after the vocals? Even with the Starlicks video right in front of me I can't seem to get that one down.