Forums > Queen - General Discussion > JUST CAME FROM THE NJ SHOW........

forum rss feed
Author

hotspacerules user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quite simply it was awesome....but for a New Yorker whos been waiting 23 years to see these guys, you could of had brian may on stage juggling and it would of been great.....

quick recap......

- same set list as Aruba + '39
- NJ was 95% packed - crowd was weak in the begining and then towards the end, you felt like you were seeing them in Europe
- everyone sung to all the songs, but Brian didn't pause during "love of my life" (guess he wasn't sure if the US would sing along)
- Paul flubbed a couple of times, but he was great - glad he was chosen for the group

- only complaint - change up the setlist - dont need to see ROTC song for song live - CHANGE UP THE SETLIST (USA - what no Under pressure?)

Overall, perfect night - see you in CA on sat!

Gunpowder Gelatine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2541 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 01:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm so excited they added '39 back in. I'm ecstatic for next weekend in LA now! :) I'm glad the show was great!

Resistance is futile. You are now an orb.

Sarquiss user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That must've been awesome, they're doing a full-blown US tour next year, right?

Hopefully I'll be able to catch them then.

bigdaddyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 02:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to agree, it was like a relgious experience....After waiting 20+ yrs to see them and finally getting to do the Radio Gaga clap with a Queen crowd was just fuckin awesome!!!!

I'm sure we all could think of songs we wanted to hear, I hoped for Save Me, Somebody To Love, Keep Yourself Alive & Death On Two Legs for starters LOL!!!

Nice to hear Bad Comp. & R&R Fantasy
now the set list is a little more even between Queen & PR stuff...even though we were prodominantly a Queen crowd I think the setlist was a really good mix.

Bohemian Rhapsody was an emotional rollercoaster
and that's all I will say for those who haven't seen the show yet....I don't wanna spoil it for anyone.

Mr_Bad_Guy_91 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 172 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 05:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cool i am glad you enjoyed it

I saw them in London and it was brillant and apart from songs we thought they might do but does it matter ? they ROCK and Radio gaga is brillant everyone went along with it

did you see brian may sitting there with a empty stool singing love of my life that was the sad bit but then again the show must go on glad u all had a good time
:)

I am just a Queen Fan and the show must go on
stefansonic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's been 23 years since I last saw Queen at Madison Square Garden and even longer since I saw Bad Company at MSG, but seeing last night's show was like seeing 2 bands in 1. The 5 Paul Rodgers songs were played well by Queen, and what more can I say about Brian and Roger that hasn't already been said? The show was awsome, I came out with an audience recording as a momento because the price of shirts is crazy? The lights were awsome, much better than expected. It was worth the wait to see this again!

If anyone reading this has either or both 1980 or 1982 recordings from New York City please get in touch...

stefansonic@optonline.net

Forever88 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Forever88
Royalty: 1465 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazing show!!! However, I had no idea what was going on with that Eminem song.

Nonono, you don't understand, that is NOT why I have this gerbil!
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ms. Farenheit wrote:

And what was the deal with that white flag with the red cross on it that some people at the very front kept putting onto the stage?

Ms Farenheit

I understand that you are from the United States, and that your Commander in Chief was unable to point out Pakistan on a map of the world.

Let me explain. Much like your Stars and Stripes - a flag which I have very much enjoyed the freedom offered to me in other countries to burn most frequently - we in the rest of the world have flags too.

Our flag combines the emblems of the three countries united under one Sovereign - the kingdoms of England and Wales, of Scotland and of Ireland (although since 1921 only Northern Ireland has been part of the United Kingdom).

The term Union Jack possibly dates from Queen Anne's time (reigned 1702-14), but its origin is uncertain. It may come from the 'jack-et' of the English or Scottish soldiers; or from the name of James I who originated the first union in 1603, in either its Latin or French form Jacobus or Jacques; or, as 'jack' once meant small, the name may be derived from a royal proclamation issued by Charles II that the Union Flag should be flown only by ships of the Royal Navy as a jack, a small flag at the bowsprit.

The flag consists of three heraldic crosses.

Now this, Ms Farenheit, is the important bit:

The cross of St George, patron saint of England since the 1270's, is a red cross on a white ground. After James I succeeded to the throne, it was combined with the cross of St. Andrew in 1606.

The cross saltire of St Andrew, patron saint of Scotland, is a diagonal white cross on a blue ground.

The cross saltire of St Patrick, patron saint of Ireland, is a diagonal red cross on a white ground. This was combined with the previous Union Flag of St George and St Andrew, after the Act of Union of Ireland with England (and Wales) and Scotland on 1 January 1801, to create the Union Flag that has been flown ever since.

The Welsh dragon does not appear on the Union Flag. This is because when the first Union Flag was created in 1606, the Principality of Wales by that time was already united with England and was no longer a separate principality.

The Union Flag was originally a Royal flag (when the present design was made official in 1801, it was ordered to be flown on all the King's forts and castles, but not elsewhere); it is today flown above Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Sandringham when The Queen is not in residence. The Royal Arms of Scotland (Lion Rampant) is flown at the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Balmoral when The Queen is not in residence.

On news of a Royal death, the Union Flag (or the Royal Arms of Scotland (Lion Rampant) where appropriate) will be flown at half-mast. The Royal Standard is never flown at half mast, as the Sovereign never dies (the new Monarch immediately succeeds his or her predecessor).

The flying of the Union Flag on public buildings is decided by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport at The Queen's command.

The Union Flag is flown on government buildings on days marking the birthdays of members of the Royal family, Commonwealth Day, Coronation Day, The Queen's official birthday, Remembrance Day and on the days of the State Opening and prorogation of Parliament; it is also flown on St David's Day (Wales), St George's Day (England), St Andrew's Day (Scotland), and St Patrick's Day (Northern Ireland).

Although the Union Flag originated as a Royal flag, it is now also flown by many people and organisations elsewhere in the United Kingdom by long established custom. Its use as an emblem has extended beyond the form of a flag and the Union Jack is frequently depicted on other objects.

I trust this has been informative, and useful. Please feel free to visit our third world countries from your superpower any time you like.

But leave your President behind.

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
bohemian 11513 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1347 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

:-)))

...and I first thought it may have been those same members of the Red Cross organisation providing Roger with some oxygen... just like they did after every show over here in good ol europe... ;-)

Btw... did they play Body Language to close the gap between "then and now"? :-)

Shoot for the moon... even if you fail you will land among the stars!

killerxqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 29 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That Eminem song in the beginning was a little weird... I didn't understand why that was there, but whatever.

I absolutely LOVED Last Horizon with that disco ball going around. It was beautiful.

These Are the Days Of Our Lives made me cry. :(

~Abby~
My Saloon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote:

Ms. Farenheit wrote:

And what was the deal with that white flag with the red cross on it that some people at the very front kept putting onto the stage?

Ms Farenheit

I understand that you are from the United States, and that your Commander in Chief was unable to point out Pakistan on a map of the world.

Let me explain. Much like your Stars and Stripes - a flag which I have very much enjoyed the freedom offered to me in other countries to burn most frequently - we in the rest of the world have flags too.

Our flag combines the emblems of the three countries united under one Sovereign - the kingdoms of England and Wales, of Scotland and of Ireland (although since 1921 only Northern Ireland has been part of the United Kingdom).

The term Union Jack possibly dates from Queen Anne's time (reigned 1702-14), but its origin is uncertain. It may come from the 'jack-et' of the English or Scottish soldiers; or from the name of James I who originated the first union in 1603, in either its Latin or French form Jacobus or Jacques; or, as 'jack' once meant small, the name may be derived from a royal proclamation issued by Charles II that the Union Flag should be flown only by ships of the Royal Navy as a jack, a small flag at the bowsprit.

The cross of St George, patron saint of England since the 1270's, is a red cross on a white ground. After James I succeeded to the throne, it was combined with the cross of St. Andrew in 1606.

The cross saltire of St Andrew, patron saint of Scotland, is a diagonal white cross on a blue ground.

The cross saltire of St Patrick, patron saint of Ireland, is a diagonal red cross on a white ground. This was combined with the previous Union Flag of St George and St Andrew, after the Act of Union of Ireland with England (and Wales) and Scotland on 1 January 1801, to create the Union Flag that has been flown ever since.

The Welsh dragon does not appear on the Union Flag. This is because when the first Union Flag was created in 1606, the Principality of Wales by that time was already united with England and was no longer a separate principality.

The Union Flag was originally a Royal flag (when the present design was made official in 1801, it was ordered to be flown on all the King's forts and castles, but not elsewhere); it is today flown above Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Sandringham when The Queen is not in residence. The Royal Arms of Scotland (Lion Rampant) is flown at the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Balmoral when The Queen is not in residence.

On news of a Royal death, the Union Flag (or the Royal Arms of Scotland (Lion Rampant) where appropriate) will be flown at half-mast. The Royal Standard is never flown at half mast, as the Sovereign never dies (the new Monarch immediately succeeds his or her predecessor).

The flying of the Union Flag on public buildings is decided by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport at The Queen's command.

The Union Flag is flown on government buildings on days marking the birthdays of members of the Royal family, Commonwealth Day, Coronation Day, The Queen's official birthday, Remembrance Day and on the days of the State Opening and prorogation of Parliament; it is also flown on St David's Day (Wales), St George's Day (England), St Andrew's Day (Scotland), and St Patrick's Day (Northern Ireland).

Although the Union Flag originated as a Royal flag, it is now also flown by many people and organisations elsewhere in the United Kingdom by long established custom. Its use as an emblem has extended beyond the form of a flag and the Union Jack is frequently depicted on other objects.

I trust this has been informative, and useful. Please feel free to visit our third world countries from your superpower any time you like.

But leav

Brandon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1803 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote:

Ms. Farenheit wrote:

Ms Farenheit

But leav

lnjryan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EFFING AWESOME!!! Brians guitar solo was amazing, I too wished to hear some other songs but after a 23 year drought the boys could have read shakespear for 2 hours and I would have been happy. Paul Rodgers put his flavor on things and the boys did a great job on the Bad Co. & Free songs. But the best part is I finally got to share one of my favorite experiences(Queen Live) with my son who is now 20 and listening to the band all of his life. I can't wait till Saturday. We'll see you in Cali.

TheDrown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 34 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i was surprised that they opened with many us hits back to back that soon in the set.. from TYMD into Fat Bottomed Girls, into Another One Bites The Dust, into Crazy Little Thing... perhaps Bri + Rog was a bit nervous about the american fans. i was very moved by BoHap of all things, as it was a bit more than i expected... as opposed to seeing Fred on a giant screen the entire time, at first it looks as if he's litterally on the stage at the piano, as if they beamed him on as a hologram.. that was very very nice indeed. and it was also cool to see the emotion of queen2, who at 10 years of age got to see his favorite band ! all in all, a good night.

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well spoken, Brandon

Mr_Bad_Guy_91 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 172 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did you all sing along with brian LOVE OF MY LIFE ?

I am just a Queen Fan and the show must go on

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bri busted a string during his "Allright Now" solo last night as well.

Mr. Slinky user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was there last night. My feelings are mixed. I was very excited to go to the show but left very much like it was not a big deal. I first saw Queen in 1980 at MSG. That was a real awesome show and I left with Queen being one of my favorite bands, always looking forward to a new album. They just were never that big in the States but I didn't care. Then I moved on and Queen came back into the forefront thru Wayne's World and general sentimentality and appreciation for classic rock as the music industry has changed so dramatically (in a bad way). But at that point I moved on and just very casually followed Queen in later years after Freddie's death. When I heard about the tour with PR I jumped at the chance to revisit my glory fan years. While Queen (Brian and Roger) didn't dissapoint last night I think Paul did. I was surprised by my feeling but clearly without question NO ONE can EVER replace Freddie. Not just his voice but just his charisma and leadership. He moved a crowd and just brought so much passion and energy to a concert venue. The concert was enjoyable to me but it never rose to blowing me away. Brian came the closest to really taking it to another level with a sizzling solo. It had my wife who is not a Queen fan(not in a bad way just not her type of rock) saying he was spectacular. I just don't want to see Queen try to recapture their youth with a large tour in the future. I don't think PR is the answer. Thanks for the memories guys. How about releasing some concert footage of the real Queen. Then we older fans can enjoy a found treasure?? That would be exciting to me.

JS
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Saloon wrote:

Settle down asshole. No need to be a dick over a simple question.

Welcome to Queenzone, where being a dick over a simple question is a natural right.

Blow it out your ass.
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 17 Oct 05, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Slinky wrote:

How about releasing some concert footage of the real Queen. Then we older fans can enjoy a found treasure?? That would be exciting to me.

Check your local video store. There are several Queen concerts available to purchase on DVD and home video.

Blow it out your ass.