Forums > Personal > London Times Review Of Robbie Williams' Intensive Care

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14932-1830172,00.html

Unfortunately, I have to agree, as I have heard much of the album and seen the ''Tripping'' video on his official wesbite. Veyizmere.

His first album writing all the songs without longtime co-songwriter Guy Chambers, and he's just not up to the task as a songwriter without Guy.

Also remember when we were debating if he looks as if he is aging tooo fast, and I said I thought he was around 32-34, but looks like he is well into his mid 40's, well he's ONLY 31.

xyz
pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't liked most of RW's singles the first or the second time I heard them. But now once again I have found "Tripping" playing inside my head.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why are we even bothering reading reviews for Robbie William's new album. We might as well see what they have to say about Ashlee Simpson's new album.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because after everyone dissing him, when I had never heard anything by the guy, after seeing and hearing him perform ''Angels'' and ''Let Me Entertain You'' at Live 8, I thought he had some half ass talent as a pop singer and performer.

Then I went and listened to his entire back catalogue and watched all his videos on his website, and was still pleasantly surprised.

Just when I thought he was a decent (NOTE I am NOT saying GREAT, or big time talented, but for what he does, pop, melodic and decent, entertaining, tuneful) singer.

But...this NEW album and BOTH its songs and videos are CRAP!

He needs to hook back up with songwriter Guy Chambers, and stop with the bizarro world Dali type videos as well

xyz
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My God!

Robbie's ONLY 31 and yet he looks like he's 32?!

Poor guy, ageing that much so quickly. I mean, he'll be 32 in 4 month's time anyway, but who wants to look a whole 4 months older than what they are?

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Posing as a sensitive soul in a “spiritual lull”, he has plied journalists with sob stories about addiction, feeling terrified of being single, and claims that deep down he is just a little boy who wants to be loved. Bless.

These maudlin, attention-seeking sentiments are very much a part of album on which Williams presents himself as a penitent playboy who wishes to atone for past indulgences, expressing the desire for clean living but at the same time wanting to continue the perks of his millionaire lifestyle."

Beautiful, great review!

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

Because after everyone dissing him, when I had never heard anything by the guy, after seeing and hearing him perform ''Angels'' and ''Let Me Entertain You'' at Live 8, I thought he had some half ass talent as a pop singer and performer.

Then I went and listened to his entire back catalogue and watched all his videos on his website, and was still pleasantly surprised.

Just when I thought he was a decent (NOTE I am NOT saying GREAT, or big time talented, but for what he does, pop, melodic and decent, entertaining, tuneful) singer.

He needs to hook back up with songwriter Guy Chambers, and stop with the bizarro world Dali type videos as well

I like Robbie, and I like both his new songs, and the videos. One is weird like the song (as suggests the title, Trippin') and one is simple and, like the song. I say I like them and I think they are great, and than people should be open minded and not hate Robbie becuase they want to jump on a bandwagon, but does that mean you are still correct to say they are crap? Also, he has a new songwriting partner, he's not gone completely on his own, either.

And, stop with the bizzaro Dali type videos too? He's had about one of them. God, I wish Queen would stop with their plastesine model videos...

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 13:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You ppl have an opinion, without actually listening to his albums. At least Arlene did some research and listened to some of his stuff. Hypocrites, if someone would say something like that about Queen or Pink Floyd or whatever, you guys are the ones makin a big fuss!

Killed by drones.

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=#C5150>The Fairy King</font> wrote:

You ppl have an opinion, without actually listening to his albums. At least Arlene did some research and listened to some of his stuff. Hypocrites, if someone would say something like that about Queen or Pink Floyd or whatever, you guys are the ones makin a big fuss!

Thanks Fairy King! :D

I always say that every artist I like, is obviously allowed to and would probably want to evolve and ''experiment'' with new sounds.

I would think that ''Intensive Care'' is such an album for Robbie.

Understand, that like Queen with say, ''Hot Space'', I THOROUGHLY RESPECT Robbie for trying something different and some reggae soungs what not, and not the same old.

BTW...I have said many times on this board that I like ''Hot Space'' for the most part very much too.

It's not Robbie's music direction that I don't like on his new album. It's that the songwriting (IMO ONLY) is not good. If the songwriting had been good, christ I don't care if he sings blues, rock, soul, whatever.

As for the wierdness of the video, actually, if the song had been good (Trippin'), then the video may have had more appeal, because what TRULY matters to me, is the music, the audio, not the visual, but since I don't like the song, I focused that much more on the visual imagery, and I also thought that the video was very distracting, incoherent from and to the song.

I still like Robbie and I will listen to ''Angels'', ''Let Me Entertain You'', ''She's The One'', ''Millennium'', or ''Kids'' his GREAT duet and video with Kylie Minogue...any day and YES, he was GRAND at Live 8, when he sang his OWN songs...not Queen's Stuff, but his OWN songs. He is a wonderful showman and really commands the stage.

xyz
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He was in Blackpool last night filming his new video under the 'gay illuminations'.

My sister went to try and look for him but he was crowded by thousands of people. The local paper has totally gone mad for it. He was here three hours tops.

Guess who's back?
pma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3462 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh I'll do the honours. Pink Floyd is utterly boring and extremely bad music, I cannot hear their tripe without becoming drowsy. You have to be pretty damn pretentious beyond any reason, low on your IQ (to a retarded level) and a drug addidct to actually enjoy such crap.

And fans of PF (Pussy Fart) probably also enjoy whacking baby seals, making them throughoutly evil people. And the world would be a better place without them.

Oh and Robbie is rock'n'roll. Live with it.

"I think now I can make love to your anus without making God angry"

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene, are you familiar with Me And My Monkey? Or any one else for that matter?

I cannot get over this song.

Brilliant.

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pma wrote:

Oh I'll do the honours. Pink Floyd is utterly boring and extremely bad music, I cannot hear their tripe without becoming drowsy. You have to be pretty damn pretentious beyond any reason, low on your IQ (to a retarded level) and a drug addidct to actually enjoy such crap.

And fans of PF (Pussy Fart) probably also enjoy whacking baby seals, making them throughoutly evil people. And the world would be a better place without them.

Oh and Robbie is rock'n'roll. Live with it.

At the risk of having eggs thrown at me (cuz I'm from the USA where Pink Floyd are sacrocent/holy. plus my brothers' all time favorite band)...

When my brother moved out on his owen, he had ''Dark Side Of The Moon'', and then ''Another Brick In The Wall'' on his phone answering machine. UGH!!!!!

I HATE PINK FLOYD!!!!!!!!

I spent the first 20 years of my life hearing my brother blast all of their psychodelic, depressing music in his bedroom directly(adjoining MY bedroom), and he only would play Floyd when HE was depressed.

Every damn time he broke up with a girl or had a bad day at work, or was stressed out, he would lock his door and crank up that damn depressing music. I know most of their songs and their lyrics, and it's so self absorbed and full of self loathing/pity.

I always looked at the Floyd as the Original, precursor to Nirvana in that sense...

Let me tell you, boy am I the opposite from my brother.

My entire life, if I've had a bad day, I do NOT want music to make me even MORE depressed.

I want QUEEN, Genesis, U2, something to inspire me, give me hope, cheer me up, dust myself off, and start all over again.

But back to the Floyd, well I'll tell you this, Bob Geldof got them for Live 8 because they are such an enormous commercial pull here in the USA and he used them to get the USA to be aware of Live 8, but he has ALWAYS been open in the press that he does NOT like their music at all!

Bob Geldof also did NOT want to play Pink in the film of The Wall. Roger Waters had to personally inrroduce himself to Bob, they became friends, and he asked Bob to do it as a favor.

Then Roger Waters and Pink Floyd retuned the favor with their reunion (even though they had been so rancorous to one another all these years), for Live 8 since they are friends with Bob Geldof.

But Bob in past press for The Wall and in current ptress for Live 8, says he can't stand their music.

Good for Sir Bob!

xyz

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GreatKingSam wrote:

Arlene, are you familiar with Me And My Monkey? Or any one else for that matter?

I cannot get over this song.

Brilliant.

I think I may have heard that, but if I did, I don't remember it. I'm pretty sure it's on his website, as most of his song and video catalogue are.

Isn't ''Kids'' with Kylie Minogue awesome!

I also like his cover/duet of ''Someting Stupid'' with Nicole Kidman, both the song and the video. Damn near as good as the original by Frank and Nancy Sinatra!

Oh, and that song, something about I forget, ''I will Call Hollyoowd And You will Listen'' or something or other.

xyz
its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene R. Weiss wrote:

Robbie williams is full of shite end of, hes such a show off and takes the micky out of gays, did you see him in live 8 when he started talking gayish to two hundred thousand or more peeps that wasnt funny or being clever that was just sick and upsettin to see, hes no good and im glad Brian and Roger never choose him to sing in there 2005 tour or he would shite everything up and make Brian and Roger look like cowards, Robbie drop the hard act, your nothing to the REAL TALENTED SINGERS!

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero wrote:

I think people see Robbie as arrogant and "former take That" so he must suck. He actually has talent, a lot of it. Saying he might have been the next Freddie is bullshit, but he sure has a great voice.

You're my...hero.... :D

xyz
flash00. user not visiting Queenzone.com
flash00.
Royalty: 1424 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i just watched robbie's documentary tonight on making his new album, i must say i like some of his past hits, but this new album is terrible no dissrespect to the guy i think he's backed a wrong horse with tin tin duffy lol.

oo la la
iGSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5001 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 21:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only thing I like of his is the Swing When You're Winning...and that's mainly because John Lovitz sings with him..and..Nicole Kidman.

The DVD of his performance at the Royal Albert Hall was gear too.

...this kettle is boiling over...

...one dump...one turd...two tits...John Deacon...

...one prawn...one shrimp...one clam...one chicken!
Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 05, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

flash00. wrote:

i just watched robbie's documentary tonight on making his new album, i must say i like some of his past hits, but this new album is terrible no dissrespect to the guy i think he's backed a wrong horse with tin tin duffy lol.

I watched that as well. Can't say I was too excited about the music. He still comes across as an arrogant wanker but that's his way isn't it.

Still think he's the best showman since Freddie though.

Guess who's back?

Posted: 20 Oct 05, 19:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bet ya. when Live 8 comes out on DVD in November, and people see and hear how damn talented he is when he has good song material to work with and perform, they will realize how talented he is.

BTW, I am on the Live 8 mailing list and they send me LEGAL video/audio advance clips of Live 8 in newsletters to promote the DVD, and it;s amazing how great that whole show was, especially, U2, Paul McCartney, Coldplay, Richard Ashcroft, Madonna, and....

....Robbie Williams. They also sent me one of ''behind the scenes'' footage of Robbie Williams rehearsing early in ther day for Live 8. Really excellent stuff.

xyz