Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Audience Participation in NJ

forum rss feed
Author

QueenZeppelin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've seen plenty of reviews and thoughts shared about the NJ show Queen + Paul Rodgers played two nights ago, but little said about the audience participation. So, from those of you who were there (or know), how was it? Which songs did they sing along to? Did they know Love of my Life? Did they do the Radio Ga-Ga handclap (I have seen that mentioned a few times). How was their reaction to each song? Any and all info would be much appreciated. :)

"Have you ever seen or touched any monkeys?"
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The audience response was better than anything I expected.

If there was general admission on the floor they could have well ended up having a mosh-pit. Which would have been friggin' sweet.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Deacons 1st Choice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deacons 1st Choice
Bohemian: 603 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The audience was awesome right from the start. There was a tremendous expression of awareness right before the show started that must have knocked the band back some upon hearing it before the curtain dropped. I think Brian's comments on his Soapbox prove this.

Folks were singing along with EVERYTHING...even the Free/ BC songs!! It was amazing, and you could tell the Band was getting a high from that unexpected response.

LOML was lovely...though i thought the crowd could have sung louder. The reason they might not have done so is because we all wanted to be able to hear Brian's wonderful vocals. He put his heart and soul into it that night. It was wonderful to behold. 39' was equally wonderful, and the crowd went absolutely mad when he started to play it. This was a show highlight for me.

"Days of our Lives" was also a great sing-along. Roger did a great job vocally...and i don't think there was a dry eye in the place when those retro video images were being shown. Very moving.

Yes, "Radio Ga Ga" had all the trappings it usually has when it is played live ( hand clapping, etc.) and even "I Want It All" had a big reaction, exspecially near the end.

Everything was very well recieved. The only thing i can think of that did not go over big was the Emenim ( or however you spell it!) rap song at the beginning. That had a lot of fans surprised and going WTFudge.

All in all, the crowd was as enthusiastic as any UK/EU crowd at previous shows.

Oh yes....and those girls were there again and threw condoms at Roger while he was up front to sing his 1st solo. I think he was embassared by it all......

Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

The audience response was better than anything I expected.

If there was general admission on the floor they could have well ended up having a mosh-pit. Which would have been friggin' sweet.

---------------------------
The band seems to prefer the standing area on the floor over the "rows of uncomfortable chairs" scenario. Shortly after the Aruba concert started, Paul invited us to get out of the chairs (everyone was already standing) and move up to the stage. Security told us before the show that they MIGHT let us do that, but we would have to wait for a signal from the Security people (they were very nice about it, and it seemed their genuine concern was safety.) Anyway, Paul took matters into his own hands and asked us to come forward and we did. It was a nice crowd, there was no pushing and shoving, and it worked out very well. The guys in the band seem to like having people right up close to the stage. I think Brian mentioned on his site that they actually lowered the B stage because of fan complaints that monitors and equipment were obstructing the line of sight from the front of the stage. It's nice that they are taking feedback into consideration on these things.

Audience participation was good. I think the band WAS surprised by it, and I take full credit for the reinclusion of '39 into the set list. (see brianmay.com, letters, Sunday, October 16) ;)

Good to meet you at the tailgate party Mr Jingles!

--Cindy

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.
Crazy LittleThing

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Deacons 1st Choice wrote:

Oh yes....and those girls were there again and threw condoms at Roger while he was up front to sing his 1st solo. I think he was embassared by it all......

"Those girls?" Paging Sarah! ;)

Sadly, some people were too far from the stage when launching condoms at Rog. Said people would like to apologize to those who were hit in the back of the head with flying condom packets. Also, since there were no metal detectors/wands at the New Jersey concert no one was mortified when the metal detector went off when it passed over the foil packets. Imagine that poor girl's embarrassment when she had to remove a large number of Roger-destined projectiles for the security folks in Aruba! I'm sure glad that didn't happen to me! :)

At this point, Roger would be embarrassed if no one BOTHERED to throw the condoms at him.

ps: hi to deacy's 1st choice! Good to see you at the party Sunday night.

Deacons 1st Choice

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes yes...good to see you too Hun!

It was nice was'nt it? A good way to relax and come down somewhat after a very thrilling day.

About Sarah and her condoms...heh heh.....yeah, i bet security did a double take when they saw her stash!

The throwing condoms at Roger thing i think is funny....i just hope Roger sees the humour in it as well. I'm sure he does....how can he not? He's still hot even now!

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I keep hearing about the condom joke, what exactly is it all about? I know it's been going around for most of the tour but what did he say?

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
I_LoveRogerT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Everyone,

I was there at the Meadowlands, and audience Rocked as well as the band!!! And guess what? It felt good!! I had one of the greatest feelings that night.

Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 733 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 20:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was there, and thought the participation was great, especially considering it had been 23 years since people last sang along and clapped with Roger and Brian.

Let's remember that among many other momentous firsts, this was the first -- the first -- "Radio Ga Ga" handclap on North American soil. And everyone did it!

And singing along to songs that didn't even chart in the 80s. This audience participation stuff is no big deal in Germany, Italy, the UK -- but in New Jersey in 2005? 20,000 people singing along to 80s Queen hits? It's a kind of magic, people!

I was -- and still am -- blown away by Sunday.

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Deacons 1st Choice

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm right there with you Dan....it was absolutely brilliant to say the least!

I did'nt think they would even bother to include "Ga Ga" in the US setlist due to it's connection to a less then positive reaction here back in it's day. I'm very happy that Roger said "F** It" and kept it in regardless. In your FACE critics!!!! :)

RainMustFall2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crazy LittleThing wrote:

"Those girls?" Paging Sarah! ;)

Sadly, some people were too far from the stage when launching condoms at Rog. Said people would like to apologize to those who were hit in the back of the head with flying condom packets. Also, since there were no metal detectors/wands at the New Jersey concert no one was mortified when the metal detector went off when it passed over the foil packets. Imagine that poor girl's embarrassment when she had to remove a large number of Roger-destined projectiles for the security folks in Aruba! I'm sure glad that didn't happen to me! :)

At this point, Roger would be embarrassed if no one BOTHERED to throw the condoms at him.

ps: hi to deacy's 1st choice! Good to see you at the party Sunday night.

The girl behind me actually threw an orange condom a minute after that, and it hit Brian in the leg. I felt so embarrassed.

Crazy LittleThing

Posted: 18 Oct 05, 23:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes yes...good to see you too Hun!

It was nice was'nt it? A good way to relax and come down somewhat after a very thrilling day.

About Sarah and her condoms...heh heh.....yeah, i bet security did a double take when they saw her stash!

The throwing condoms at Roger thing i think is funny....i just hope Roger sees the humour in it as well. I'm sure he does....how can he not? He's still hot even now!

Much to my embarrassment, it was not Sarah whose pocketful of condoms set off the detectors. After the incident with Security, I passed them out to many of the people in the front, to be sure Rog received a hail of them from all sides. And after all that . . . weeks of planning and scheming, he didn't even make the "he's wearing three," etc. comment in Aruba. D'OH! We threw them anyway.

Grantcdn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 01:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was on the floors half way back and I'd say 98% of the people stood for the entire concert.....and 99% for the majority of it....lots of singing, jumping, fist pumping, screaming....absolutely fantastic response from NYC/NJ...and let's face it...it was a FANTASTIC concert!!.....my throat and arms are still sore...

Crazy LittleThing

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Grant! I missed you at the concert. Am glad you made it though.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So that means I could have gone up to the catwalk... I was in the third row of the bottom bowl. Bummer.

My friend threw a condom at Roger, but it didn't make it that far, and it hit some girl in the head!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I kept hitting the guy in front of me on top of his head during the show bc he was seated for a good portion while I stood. I also nailed him good when I was waving like an idiot to Paulie from my seat. He looked at me like he wanted to strangle me!! He got over it though.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Crazy LittleThing

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisser wrote:

I kept hitting the guy in front of me on top of his head during the show bc he was seated for a good portion while I stood. I also nailed him good when I was waving like an idiot to Paulie from my seat. He looked at me like he wanted to strangle me!! He got over it though.

And then you asked him to take off his shirt. ;)

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crazy LittleThing wrote:

*LOL*!!

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crazy LittleThing wrote:

Lisser wrote:

Um NO!! He was erm...not easy to look at. I'm trying to be nice!! LOL!!

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 05, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The audience was awesome right from the start. There was a tremendous expression of awareness right before the show started that must have knocked the band back some upon hearing it before the curtain dropped. I think Brian's comments on his Soapbox prove this.

Folks were singing along with EVERYTHING...even the Free/ BC songs!! It was amazing, and you could tell the Band was getting a high from that unexpected response.

LOML was lovely...though i thought the crowd could have sung louder. The reason they might not have done so is because we all wanted to be able to hear Brian's wonderful vocals. He put his heart and soul into it that night. It was wonderful to behold. 39' was equally wonderful, and the crowd went absolutely mad when he started to play it. This was a show highlight for me.

"Days of our Lives" was also a great sing-along. Roger did a great job vocally...and i don't think there was a dry eye in the place when those retro video images were being shown. Very moving.

Yes, "Radio Ga Ga" had all the trappings it usually has when it is played live ( hand clapping, etc.) and even "I Want It All" had a big reaction, exspecially near the end.

Everything was very well recieved. The only thing i can think of that did not go over big was the Emenim ( or however you spell it!) rap song at the beginning. That had a lot of fans surprised and going WTFudge.

All in all, the crowd was as enthusiastic as any UK/EU crowd at previous shows.

that was me u heard screaming during '39, and i must say i was one of the people crying their eyes out with TATDOOL
oh and i agree with all u said, my thoughts exactly

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1