Forums > Queen - General Discussion > One for the kiddies

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems that over the weekend, the memership of Queenzone has grown (always a good thing) to accommodate some of our younger readers. (An even better thing). I also find the fact that 12, 13, and 15 year-olds are into Queen, is only healthy for the band.

However, it seems that some of these younger readers fail to grasp that this is a general forum, which expresses adult ideas, which should be addressed in a more mature fashion.

This is not an English-speaking only board - it is universal, which peoples from many nations visit, and enjoy.

Therefore, bad grammar, bad seplling, bad puctuation, and especially "Text-messaging" type language, makes it impossible for these non-native-English speakers to read.

It is therefore POLITE to write using as correct punctuation, grammar and spelling, as possible, and very rude to

"riteasifUdoknotcreabtthefealinsofotrredrs, and sodUjackcosmenmychavym8srok".

So, all I ask is that you think of others, (remember you are in the big-playground now), and try your best to be as intelligible as possible.

Also look around and see if your questions or ideas have been expressed before.

Everyone will be forgiving for the odd mistake, but, if you persist in acting like little children, you will soon find that everyone will begin to ignore you. (sad but true).

But if you make a real effort to fit in, you will find that most people in here are very kind and considerate, (and very often) those non-native English speakers are more knowledgeable than we English speakers, so it is very important to hear what they say, but if they do not understand the question, then they can never help.

I hope you enjoy your stay at Queenzone, and see that a little politeness goes a very long way.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
John S Stuart

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is an example of what I mean. This is correctly (I hope) translated into Greman.

How much more difficult would this be for you to read if it was incorrectly translated, (or worse still), written as a German "text-message?

Es scheint, dass im Laufe des Wochenendes der memership von Queenzone (immer ein gutes Ding) gewachsen ist, um einige unserer jüngeren Leser unterzubringen. (Ein noch besseres Ding). Ich finde auch die Tatsache, die 12, 13, und 15 Jahre alt in die Königin sind, ist nur für das Band gesund.

Jedoch scheint es, dass einige dieser jüngeren Leser scheitern, das zu ergreifen, ist das ein allgemeines Forum, das erwachsene Ideen ausdrückt, die in einer reiferen Mode gerichtet werden sollten.

Das ist nicht ein englischsprechender nur Ausschuss - das ist universal, welche Völker von vielem Nationsbesuch, und genießen.

Deshalb macht schlechte Grammatik, schlechter seplling, schlechter puctuation, und besonders "Text-Messaging"-Typ-Sprache, es unmöglich für diese Sprecher "nicht heimisches Englisch", um zu lesen.

Es ist deshalb HÖFLICH, das Verwenden als richtige Zeichensetzung, Grammatik und die Rechtschreibung, wie möglich, und sehr grob zu

"riteasifUdoknotcreabtthefealinsofotrredrs, andsodU".

Also, alles, was ich frage, ist, dass Sie an andere denken, (erinnern Sie sich, dass Sie im großen Spielplatz jetzt sind), und tun Sie Ihr Bestes, so wie möglich verständlich zu sein.

Sehen Sie sich auch um und sieh, ob Ihre Fragen oder Ideen vorher ausgedrückt worden sind.

Jeder wird für den sonderbaren Fehler versöhnlich sein, aber, wenn Sie auf der Schauspielerei wie kleine Kinder verharren, finden Sie bald, dass jeder beginnen wird, Sie zu ignorieren. (jämmerlich aber wahr).

Aber wenn Sie eine echte Anstrengung machen einzufügen, finden Sie, dass die meisten Menschen darin hier sehr freundlich und rücksichtsvoll sind, (und sehr häufig), sind jene nichtheimischen englischen Sprecher mehr kenntnisreich als wir englische Sprecher, so ist es sehr wichtig zu hören, was sie sagen, aber wenn sie die Frage nicht verstehen, dann können sie nie helfen.

Ich hoffe, dass Sie Ihren Aufenthalt an Queenzone genießen, und sehen, dass eine kleine Höflichkeit einen sehr langen Weg geht.

See how difficult it is to understand - even when it is presented correctly?

So a very big welcome to the 'Zone, and try and play nicely with your new friends!

John S Stuart

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=lime>KillerKing840 wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

(...)Therefore, bad grammar, bad seplling, bad puctuation, and especially "Text-messaging" type language, makes it impossible for these non-native-English speakers to read. (...)

Would "seplling" be considered "bad spelling" as well? ;-)

Yes it would be, but I "think" this shows how the odd mistake is seen as being forgivable, (because none of us are perfect), but, that the deliberate , and continual disregard for others, is viewed as selfish.

Just trying to help out!

David Jones user not visiting Queenzone.com
David Jones
Deity: 2469 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, the Caps Lock key does turn off...

"Freddie would have loved it" - Brian May
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for that, John:)

I do not want any google ads here.

its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dont even get me started here.....

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just do the best you can.

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks John!!

:)

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

John S Stuart

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its_a_hard_life wrote:

From another of your threads;

"...you people that cant speak english learn the slag way cos thats how the genaration is peeps cant be bothered to write full word and a few of you are bullying becky and trying to with me but you no that ant gonna work as much as you want to hahahaha all losers who try.
Think your greater then us young ones hahahha make me laugh tooooooooooo much".

So you would still prefer to be thought of as rude, and perceived as both arrogant and ignorant, rather than make the modicum of effort to be considerate and polite?

At the end of the day, it is NOT about slang or correct grammar, but about taking the time to afford others a little bit of respect, courtesy and consideration. (After all, isn't that what you would really like in return?).

To deliberately kick against this, because you are too lazy to be bothered otherwise, seems to me to be the REAL act of bullying.

its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

its_a_hard_life wrote:

From another of your threads;

"...you people that cant speak english learn the slag way cos thats how the genaration is peeps cant be bothered to write full word and a few of you are bullying becky and trying to with me but you no that ant gonna work as much as you want to hahahaha all losers who try.
Think your greater then us young ones hahahha make me laugh tooooooooooo much".

So you would still prefer to be thought of as rude, and perceived as both arrogant and ignorant, rather than make the modicum of effort to be considerate and polite?

At the end of the day, it is NOT about slang or correct grammar, but about taking the time to afford others a little bit of respect, courtesy and consideration. (After all, isn't that what you would really like in return?).

To deliberately kick against this, because you are too lazy to be bothered otherwise, seems to me to be the REAL act of bullying.

Hahaha oh god take every word for word are we now?
I cant go with writing something without you and a few trying to rip it to pieces?
Funny i know you are just bored and get fun out of this and even if im wrong your still all funny.

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I concur fully.
The spell checks of these kids must be overworked.

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TANK U,JOHN FERTELLING US HOW TOPOST!!!

WAT IS YER FAVERITE QUEEEEN SONG EVERYBVODDYS?????

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

TANK U,JOHN FERTELLING US HOW TOPOST!!!

WAT IS YER FAVERITE QUEEEEN SONG EVERYBVODDYS?????

I think QUEEEEEN is spelled with five E's.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 24 Oct 05, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

carboengine wrote:

SOOOORREEEEE...MY BAAD...:-D

The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm 16 and at the start of the year I made a promise to myself never to use text language ever. There is nothing cool about it, it just makes people lazy (and non-english people confused) so, to everyone out there in my age bracket, please learn to write properly so the EVERYONE can understand it, and it will also help you pass those ever-daunting english exams!

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=FF0099>Linda Of The Valley wrote:

David Jones wrote:

Also, the Caps Lock key does turn off...

lol

Maybe Some Peole Just Like To Shout. Does It Annoy Anyone When People Post Like This? :P

Yes dear God, yes.

There is someone around here who does it ALL the time on EVERY post. He says he is a sixteen year old college student!? Does he write like this in essays?

It Is Almost As Frustrating As When People Write ALL IN CAPS LOCK.

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The prophet's song wrote:

I'm 16 and at the start of the year I made a promise to myself never to use text language ever. There is nothing cool about it, it just makes people lazy (and non-english people confused) so, to everyone out there in my age bracket, please learn to write properly so the EVERYONE can understand it, and it will also help you pass those ever-daunting english exams!

Well done.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, so I am not the brightest bulb on the tree. I did not know for the longest time that you could edit/correct your own entries. Maybe this info will help some contributors once they see what they have written. It is the first icon nearest to the date/time of your entry. Click on it, go in and make your changes, and click on post message, and the correction will appear. Keep on posting no matter what! Also, I would suggest being as descriptive as you can when filling in the subject line when you start a new topic. I pass on by subjects such as "No subject."

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its nice to hear more youngins are getting into Queen (without the help of my for once)! i agreeeeee

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

carboengine wrote:

SOOOORREEEEE...MY BAAD...:-D

That's OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.