Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > QUEEN: THE BASIC BOOTLEGS and unreleased 1991/1992 Hollywood remixes

forum rss feed
Author

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1417 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello, everybody.

As some of you might know already, I have been compiling a QUEEN discography/versionary for some years now and it seems that I need your help with a very obscure item. It is compilation album almost released by a label called Hollywood BASIC, which was a subsidiary from Hollywod Records. The album was called QUEEN: THE BASIC BOOTLEGS (HB-61287-2/4) and it was set for an April 1992 release, but it never materialized in the streets, although some 'acetate' CD-Rs were pressed.

I would love to know more about this compilation, which it is supposed to have a lot of specifically-made remixes of QUEEN tracks. A tracklist including version names will do, but any further details such as running times and production details will be a very welcome addition. Besides, I suppose that there are some 1991/1992 Hollywood Records/BASIC remixes which were never meant to be released. Any help on the subject will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Best wishes,

Wilki

Walter B. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess you will already have noticed this?

http://www.queencollector.com/Promos/Basic.htm

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 17:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems fair to assume that most of the Hollywood Bonus remixes that WERE released would have been on there.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki: As I understand it, although, officially this remains unreleased, you can still obtain the "unofficial bootlegged" version, which I believe was digitally cloned from an original CD acetate (Hence the superb sound quality).

In memories Of Freddie Mercury - RM CD 01

This CD was originally released in Germany, 1992, and as PG correctly suggests, all are Basic Hollywood remixes. (Although some of these mixes are remixes/extended versions of the original bonus tracks).

Seven Seas Of Rhye (6:43)
Theme From Flash Gordon (6:49)
Bicycle Race (5:03)
Dragon Attack (7:22)
We Will Rock You (4:52)
Radio Ga Ga (9:52)
Love Kills (5:17)
Queen's Reprise '92 (20:53) (Queen medley)

This cloned disc runs for around 65 minutes, but the original acetates run for about 75 - 80 minutes. (I don't know why, but it was very difficult in those days to fully record extended play CDs).

The missing tracks are: "We Will Rock You - Ruined by Rick Ruben", (I guess because it is so very common), and the not so common "Another One Bites The Dust - Long Dusted B-Boy Version", (I guess because at c11 minutes long, it was too long to include on the cloned disc at that time).

Although I do not know the original running order of the disc, I am fairly certain that if you add the final two tracks to the listing above, this should recreate the disc you are looking for.

Again as PG so correctly observed, this was produced to highlight the Hollywood remixes, so nothing rare or new would have been pencilled for inclusion anyway but as I have already said, some of the "In memories Of Freddie Mercury" mixes (eg: "Dragon Attack" and "Theme From Flash Gordon"), are longer/extended versions, than those that appear as bonus tracks on the Hollywood CDs.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Wilki Amieva

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the information. I have one of the numerous editions of the pirate 'Canadian' CD (it is made in the EEC). It is nice to know where it came from. Anyway, it would be very nice to know the original names of the versions and their production details.

However, I clearly recall seeing an 'acetate' CD-R sold by ESPRIT in the late 90s which had some exclusive mixes. I remember a 'Cohen mix' of The Miracle (Cohen should be producer/engineer David Cohen).

Also, I would like to know more about the 'unreleased' Hollywood remixes like Tie Your Mother Down (re-produced by Trent Reznor).

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 23:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have these two MP3s:

Another One Bites The Dust (Long Dusted B-Boy Version) - 10:39
Tie Your Mother Down (Trent Reznor Remix) - 4:49

AOBTD is somewhat interesting.

TYMD is remixed to sound like a slow(?!?!) song. Not very interesting IMO.

I WOULD upload them, but given this site's stance against uploading official material...

inu-liger

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, I think another remix that would've appeared on that CD is the Dave Ogilvie Alternative Remix of AOBTD, which I like.

M. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"TYMD is remixed to sound like a slow(?!?!) song. Not very interesting IMO."
Reznor's version is great! One of the best Queen remixes IMO.

"Guten Morgen, Sie wünschen geweckt zu werden!"
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reznor's remix/re-production of "Stone Cold Crazy" is great. His take on "Tie Your Mother Down" missed the mark by a mile.

Blow it out your ass.
Wilki Amieva

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 06:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do have the BASIC BEAT SAMPLER and FREAKSHOW CDs. I have my doubts that they would have included two long versions of Another One Bites The Dust in the compilation.

About Tie Your Mother Down (re-produced by Trent Reznor), I know this one it is only available in a CD-R 'acetate'. However, I do not know if this 'acetate' is the same one as discussed above. Unfortunately, I obtained my copy from a NIN fan who did not know much about QUEEN and now I have lost contact with her. Maybe Richard can add something to this - I believe he uploaded a RealAudio version of it ages ago.

We should not forget that THE BASIC BOOTLEGS was about to be released by Hollywood BASIC, a label which gained quite a fame issuing a very special kind of rap from a very selected group of artists.

inu-liger

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 22:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki wrote:

I do have the BASIC BEAT SAMPLER and FREAKSHOW CDs. I have my doubts that they would have included two long versions of Another One Bites The Dust in the compilation.

About Tie Your Mother Down (re-produced by Trent Reznor), I know this one it is only available in a CD-R 'acetate'. However, I do not know if this 'acetate' is the same one as discussed above. Unfortunately, I obtained my copy from a NIN fan who did not know much about QUEEN and now I have lost contact with her. Maybe Richard can add something to this - I believe he uploaded a RealAudio version of it ages ago.

That RealAudio version actually came from me.

Wilki Amieva

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry, I didn't knew that you were around Richard's site in 1997.

Anyway, where did you get the original audio from?

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry to bring this post to life again ;-)

Sometimes I did take notes when I had found something on the internet that was (for me) interesting in some form. I do not know where I found the following information neither if it is correct.

Anyway: the supposed tracklist for the Basic Bootlegs should have been:

We Will Rock You (Rick Rubin Remix)
Don't Try Suicide (Muggs)
Another One Bites The Dust (Ice Cube)
Under Pressure (Mr Mixx)
We Are The Champions (Rick Rubin Remix)
Fat Bottomed Girls (OK)
Dragon Attack (RAK)
Another One Bites The Dust (Phase And Rave)
Stone Cold Crazy (Trent Reznor)
Dragon Attack (Rave).

Most remixes did not see the light of day, some of them did. I hope this helps.

Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 19:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How about this:

http://www.queenpicturehall.com/bootlegs/00ultdance.shtml

Wilki Amieva

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The CD in Ron's site is just another edition of the pirate album commented by John. I know at least five different editions that have surfaced since 1992. I still wonder if that pirate albums come from a BASIC BOOTLEGS reference CD. Some of the tracks and the varying audio quality (which is IMHO far from excellent) account for my doubts. On the other hand, I believe that some (just some) of the material might come from some kind of monitor tape.

About that tracklisting, Walter, it comes from the Ultimate QUEEN site:
www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/Discog/promos.htm
I contacted Ian and he answered saying that the "tracklisting was supplied by a visitor to the site who is a DJ in the USA, who owns a copy of the album."

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Wilki, I think you are right about the Ultimate Queen website. This is the first time I heard someone actually owns a copy of the Basic Bootlegs...(btw: did you get my mail?)

Wilki Amieva

Posted: 22 Apr 06, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK then.

P.S: Yes, and I WILL report. ;-)

inu-liger

Posted: 04 May 06, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki wrote:

Sorry, I didn't knew that you were around Richard's site in 1997.

Anyway, where did you get the original audio from?

Oh!

Sorry for taking so long to answer your question! (Didn't think to check this thread since my last post!)

I got this from Napster.

updj1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 06, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello. I just came across your site and I am the US DJ that bought the QUEEN BASIC BOOTLEGS cdr from esprit in UK for a pretty penny and supplied the info to Ian. Esprit sold it as authentic, although when I called the Hollywood label last year they had no information about it and would not confirm it as official.

Hollywood Basic was a sublabel of Hollywood Records that handled the more rap oriented material. I remember getting the Hollywood Basic beats sampler (later withdrawn due to sample clearance issues) that had the Long Dusted B-Boy Version of AOBTD on it. The liner notes of the cassette and CD even mentioned an upcoming Queen Basic Bootlegs release and gave a catalog number. I called the promotions rep at Hollywood to ask about these remixes and he told me they had a few rap producers remix some Queen tracks, including Ice Cube and Mr. Mixx from 2 Live Crew, and that they would be very different and released soon.

My guess is that the album was shelved after the somewhat negative respone of Queen fans to the 1991 Hollywood remixes and perhaps Queen themselves as some of the mixes have raps over them. Then in 1999 some enterprising Hollywood employee burned a few cdr's and made up a CD insert. Strangely my favorite mix, Under Pressure (Mr. Mixx), had what sounded like a DAT digital tape dropout at like 1:41 into the song, which I repaired using Peak and a little creative editing so it sounds exactly like it should.

I think 6 of these remixes on the disc are unreleased so certainly interesting from a collectors stand point but to a lover of Queen music some of these are destroyed!

I have the In Memories Of Freddie Mercury CD. It is most certainly a bootleg and most likely not an intended compilation of Hollywood remixes. The mixes of Radio Ga Ga and We Will Rock You are remix service mixes made for DJ's and had nothing to do with the Hollywood remixes. I forget who re-edited the Radio Ga Ga mix but the We Will Rock You remix was on the UK and US DMC remix service back in 1991 and remixed by Dakeyne. I think the Queen Medley was put together and added to fill out the CD, certainly unofficial.

BTW I LOVE the Dave Ogilvie remix of AOBTD from that Hollywood promo sampler CD. Another neat remix from the Hollywood remix sessions and my favorite remix of the song out of all I've ever heard.

Posted: 13 Jul 06, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello updj1!

Thank you for adding this bit of information and welcome to Queenzone.

Could you please tell if there are running times of the tracks on the inlay/cd available? But far more interesting: how do the tracks sound like? We have heard some of them, as they have been released, but the other tracks are 'new'.

Is the tracklist that was mentioned in this thread complete by the way?

Thanks for answering.