Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Live with Paul Rodgers in South Africa Video

forum rss feed
Author

JimGardner1973 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 22:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've just downloaded a video of Queen live on South African TV, from the last tour with Paul Rodgers. Now, I have to start by saying that just because you don't see my name on these notice boards all the time it don't mean I'm not a big Queen fan, it's just that most of the time I don't really have anything to say that others haven't already said. The fact is I've been into Queen since I was about 11 years old, and next month I'm 32, so we're going back some time since I first stuck my head between the speakers of my Dad's old record player and turned The Prophet's Song up real loud.

In the time between then and now I've learned to appreciate their music more and more as the years go by. Being a professional musician myself it's hard to think of a song writing team, beyond the obvious Lennon / McCartney or Jagger / Richards combos, who have done more than Queen for British rock & pop music.

Which, and forgive me for being so blunt, makes it all the more sad to see them churning out these Karaoke versions of their own music to a stadium full of really bored looking disappointed old folks?

Why can't Brian May play the guitar anymore? Why can't Roger Meddows Taylor sing anymore, much less hit the skins properly? Why, in fact, did they bother showing themselves up like this at all?

Paul Rodgers is from Middlesbrough, approximately 10 minutes down the road from where I live in Stockton on Tees. So why is he talking with an American accent? His mam still lives in Redcar! Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of the lad for the music he's been responsible for over the years but - please, have a word with yourselves - my fellow Queen fans - IT'S OVER!



Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have seen the light. Thank you, dear sir, for telling me what my opinion should be. Where would I be without you?

You are my savior. Please accept this basket of fruit as my eternal gratitude.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Oct 05, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The South Africa concert is a not a good example to judge Queen + PR by. It was a pretty bad performance. Lots of nerves.

Fone Bone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BPP ?

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No- it's not BPP- too good grammar and there is a sense in this post, even though I disagree...
SA gig was their first, it was almost as bad as Brixton... Actually- it was even worse :) Get some other recording and judge than. You may still not like it (fair enough) but at least you'll judge something more representative :)

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even if he doesn't like them musically, what's he talking about saying Paul has an American accent?? Must've missed that in NJ! ;-P

JimGardner1973 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>Nerves:
They've been gigging this stuff for a long time now and PR has been on the road for a lot longer than Queen. Trust me, nerves don't come into it when you've done as many tours as these guys and if they do sneak in a little on the first night of a new show or whatever they certainly don't change your ability to sing in tune, play in tune or remember the words. "Tie your brother clown, tie your rubber gown. Take your brittle lover singing with a bic that's all white."?!?!?!?!

>Judge them by another recording:
Will probably still do that. I respect them for their past works enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.

>American accent:
"Y'all gunna help me sing this one? All raight!"

The point is, why didn't they just get together and say OK, Fred is no longer with us but the fact remains we're musicians who enjoy playing and writing so here's something new and different that's not Free or Queen, but we hope you enjoy it anyway. I'm pretty sure a more sensible approach like this would have secured interest from John too.

If fact, on that point - why didn't they just hire Robbie?

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JimGardner1973 wrote:

>Nerves:
They've been gigging this stuff for a long time now and PR has been on the road for a lot longer than Queen. Trust me, nerves don't come into it when you've done as many tours as these guys and if they do sneak in a little on the first night of a new show or whatever they certainly don't change your ability to sing in tune, play in tune or remember the words. "Tie your brother clown, tie your rubber gown. Take your brittle lover singing with a bic that's all white."?!?!?!?!


What are you talking about??? This was the first concert billed as Queen since 1986, with a new singer. Paul had to learn all the Queen songs that he was going to perform in a short period of time. Your telling me that they were not nervous?

Give them a break. Listen to shows from later in the tour. It's like a different band.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JimGardner1973 wrote:

Paul Rodgers is from Middlesbrough, approximately 10 minutes down the road from where I live in Stockton on Tees. So why is he talking with an American accent?


Actually he has lived in Canada for the last few years now hence the accent.


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie had a different accent on stage.



teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 16:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

JimGardner1973 wrote:

Paul Rodgers is from Middlesbrough, approximately 10 minutes down the road from where I live in Stockton on Tees. So why is he talking with an American accent?


Actually he has lived in Canada for the last few years now hence the accent.


Canadian accents differ from American accents.
Paul doesn't sound like he has a Canadian or American accent to my ears.

JimGardner1973 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're all chasing a dream that the band we all fell in love with, our heads buried into the gate-fold vinyl sleeve artwork for News of the World, or A night at the Opera or (insert anything before The Miracle here) - the same band are going to come back to life without the one thing which gave them their energy.

I'm not insisting anyone agree with me on this, I'm merely pointing out to anyone who might be on the fence about the direction the band have taken in the last 10 years that, not to worry - I feel exactly the same way. It doesn't change the fact that Jazz and Hot Space are the greatest works any band of any genre had produced up to that point, and for that I'll always respect them. BUT, Paul Rodgers can't remember the lyrics, he's pretending not to be from where he's from, Brian May can't play anymore and the whole charade is embarrassing.

I'll get my coat. See yaz at Butlins in 10 years time when "The PR era" will be buried away like Sammy Hagar stories at a Dave Lee Roth convention.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JimGardner1973 wrote:

It doesn't change the fact that Jazz and Hot Space are the greatest works any band of any genre had produced up to that point


???? Your kidding? Right?

JimGardner1973 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 10:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

JimGardner1973 wrote:

It doesn't change the fact that Jazz and Hot Space are the greatest works any band of any genre had produced up to that point


???? Your kidding? Right?



Don't Stop Me Know. Staying Power. End of.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have you actually bothered to listen to anything else other than the South Africa concert?

Cwazy little thing user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its a wind up folks - clearly!
Ive never met a Queen fan who ranks Hot Space in his top two!?
(although in fairness I dont hate it)


Adventure Seeker on an empty street...

www.myspace.com/ampfirerock
JimGardner1973 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If to be a "real" Queen fan I have to quote lyrics from The Miracle in the same post as condemning Hot Space I'll gladly admit to not being one.

The fact remains any "real" Queen fan would know that Hot Space was the direction all but Brian was happy to go in when it came out. It's failure to hit with the fans is indicative of the fact that a band's creativity is limited to the imagination of their fan base, not the creativity of the song writers.

Take Cool Cat - a totally well written catchy pop song, Does it sound like Queen? No. Was that a good thing at the time? Yes. Did the fans realise this and allow the band to move on to new territory? No. QED.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You don't have to do that but to say that Hot Space is one of the best two Queen albums is a stretch. It comes nowhere near Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At the Opera, Day At the Races & Innuendo.

There is nothing wrong with Hot Space but its not one of their best albums.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

There is nothing wrong with Hot Space


*cough*BodyLanguage*cough*