Forums > Personal > More Abortion, Less Crime, Baby

forum rss feed
Author

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=174508

What are your thoughts and opinions? Is this well-founded causation, or just a classic example of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy?

Sure it's dated, but it's very interesting.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I heard about this a while back through this:

http://www.freakonomics.com/ch4.php

Seems to make sense.


Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
FreddiesGhettoTrench user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1624 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a faulty argument. Obviously higher abortion rates result in less crime, because young people are more likely to commit crimes, and abortion reduces the number of young people. However, if you factor in the fact that - at least in many people's minds - abortion is murder, a drop in other crime rates is insignificant when compared in regards to murder. Also, if abortion rates rose to its max, 100%, then after a certain amount of time there would be no more people. No crime, but no anything else, either. Also, putting children who would otherwise be aborted in good homes would reduce the crime rate as well.


"Brian May, Freddie will."
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddiesGhettoTrench wrote:

It's a faulty argument. Obviously higher abortion rates result in less crime, because young people are more likely to commit crimes, and abortion reduces the number of young people. However, if you factor in the fact that - at least in many people's minds - abortion is murder, a drop in other crime rates is insignificant when compared in regards to murder. Also, if abortion rates rose to its max, 100%, then after a certain amount of time there would be no more people. No crime, but no anything else, either. Also, putting children who would otherwise be aborted in good homes would reduce the crime rate as well.


Abortion does not considerably decrease the amount of young people as it decreases the amount of young people who will have a penchant for committing crimes in the future. For instance, it may reduce the amount of young people by .0001%, however, it will reduce the amount of young people who will commit crimes by 1%.

While I admit that his argument is potentially faulty, I must say that your argument is definitely faulty and ineffective.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddiesGhettoTrench wrote:

It's a faulty argument. Obviously higher abortion rates result in less crime, because young people are more likely to commit crimes, and abortion reduces the number of young people.


* BUZZ!! * - Wrong again

Crime has no relationship to age, but social status instead. A big number of unexpected pregnancies happen among young girls with low incomes or whose parents refuse to provide financial support after becoming pregnant. A lot of babies raised by young mothers living in poverty grow up in areas where they could either become crime victims or be tempted to get involved in criminal activities. Also parents struggling to raise a child while living under minumum wage or unenployment also feel at times forced to commit illegal acts to provide themselves and their children with financial support.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
FreddiesGhettoTrench user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1624 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

FreddiesGhettoTrench wrote:

It's a faulty argument. Obviously higher abortion rates result in less crime, because young people are more likely to commit crimes, and abortion reduces the number of young people.


* BUZZ!! * - Wrong again

Crime has no relationship to age, but social status instead. A big number of unexpected pregnancies happen among young girls with low incomes or whose parents refuse to provide financial support after becoming pregnant. A lot of babies raised by young mothers living in poverty grow up in areas where they could either become crime victims or be tempted to get involved in criminal activities. Also parents struggling to raise a child while living under minumum wage or unenployment also feel at times forced to commit illegal acts to provide themselves and their children with financial support.


Crime has a relationship to social status, indeed, but it also has a relationship with age. Not too many 90 year olds are going out and robbing liquor stores. Instead, it is generally 18-25 year olds committing crimes.

You also must take into account that there are many children raised by parents growing up in poverty areas where the child grows up to become a doctor, lawyer, or even a future president, therefore abortion is wrong on any level. You cannot predict someone's future by their parents or enviroment.


"Brian May, Freddie will."
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddiesGhettoTrench wrote:

Mr.Jingles wrote:

FreddiesGhettoTrench wrote:

It's a faulty argument. Obviously higher abortion rates result in less crime, because young people are more likely to commit crimes, and abortion reduces the number of young people.


* BUZZ!! * - Wrong again

Crime has no relationship to age, but social status instead. A big number of unexpected pregnancies happen among young girls with low incomes or whose parents refuse to provide financial support after becoming pregnant. A lot of babies raised by young mothers living in poverty grow up in areas where they could either become crime victims or be tempted to get involved in criminal activities. Also parents struggling to raise a child while living under minumum wage or unenployment also feel at times forced to commit illegal acts to provide themselves and their children with financial support.


Crime has a relationship to social status, indeed, but it also has a relationship with age. Not too many 90 year olds are going out and robbing liquor stores. Instead, it is generally 18-25 year olds committing crimes.

You also must take into account that there are many children raised by parents growing up in poverty areas where the child grows up to become a doctor, lawyer, or even a future president, therefore abortion is wrong on any level. You cannot predict someone's future by their parents or enviroment.


Crime does indeed have a relationship to age.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Brandon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1803 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 21:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, Jingles is living in lala land. MusicMan, as I've oft noticed is the case, is on the mark again. On all accounts.